Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop losing internet

• 03-10-2007 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi. I just got a dell inspiron 1721 running vista. I'm able to get a wireless network with our netopia router. The wireless connection icon shows "conected to local and internet". After roughly ten mins this changes to "local only" and I no longer have access to the internet. The signal strength is still showing as good. I then have to reboot before it will see the internet again. The network wizard can't fix it. Any ideas please? I've spent hours checking every setting I can find on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

These kinds of things can be very bothersome to troubleshoot but you can save yourself a lot of time by doing the following.

Make sure you have the latest driver for your card in the laptop and the latest firmware on your router.

I have found with Intel based cards that it's better to have the Proset software from Intel manage it than the Windows Zero config software.

Check the the Dell Quickset application isn't turning off your wireless card to save battery.

Try using another channel for your network - ask your neighbours what they are using and steer clear of it. This will s also rule out any interference issues from other equipment in your home like cordless phones.

Try different encryption schemes.

Do a search on Google to see if anyone else has your card & router combination and if they're also having issues.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I think you may have missed the point that he only looses internet access, he is still connected to the local network... i.e. no sign of a problem with the wireless card. To rule the wireless card out I would wire into your router and see if the same problem occurs.

It could be an ISP/Router related issue...

Advertisement