Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done the US driving test?

Options
  • 03-10-2007 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Have it tomorrow. I'm good on most stuff except what I do with an automatic when I'm stopped at lights for example. You know the way in Ireland the only time you actually stick the car in neutral and put the hand-brake on etc is on your driving test. Do you have to something similar here - the etiquette (for want of a better word) of automatic driving I'm not sure on.

The other thing I'm not sure on and this probably applies in Ireland also - when you are reversing around a corner do you have to keep both hands on the wheel when you're looking over the shoulder?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

got some answers - so for anyone else's reference:

You can just apply the brake at lights and keep the car in Drive.

You can throw your right arm back behind you and steer with one hand when reversing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

how did ur test go?

are american tests hard in general? id say it depends on which state u live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

There's no US test.
    Each state has their own requirements.
    In fact if you move from one state to another you may have to do the test again in the new state.

I'm in the process of getting my license in California.
    Have done the written test which was fine, a couple of weird questions though.
    There were 36 questions you needed to get 30 right to pass.

I'm not ready to take the actual driving test yet and will probably try and get a lesson from a driving school in the area where I'm doing the test, closer to the time.
    The really handy thing is how quickly you can get your appointment for the test.

Killian

Passed it just about - It was almost identical to the Irish driving test apart from the obvious - i.e. I generally stuck to the right hand side of the road!

Hill-start, parallel parking, observation, adhering to speed limit etc. - all the same stuff.

No harm doing a quick lesson before the test though.

Congrats!

I've been doing a lot of driving since I got my permit.
    My parking isn't great.
    Need to work on that.

Plan on doing the test before Christmas.
    Should give me plenty of time.
    Will get a pre-test or two before hand.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

giddyup wrote: »
    got some answers - so for anyone else's reference:

You can just apply the brake at lights and keep the car in Drive.

You can throw your right arm back behind you and steer with one hand when reversing.
    WTF? You're supposed to use the mirrors when reversing, you're not supposed turn around at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

WTF? You're supposed to use the mirrors when reversing, you're not supposed turn around at all.

Not in America, at least. Or, indeed, any sane country that wants to prevent accidents caused by 'blindspots.'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

out of curiosity can you just show up and do the test what are waiting times like do you need to be a resident ?

could irish peoples go over to do the test some weekend and swap for an irish license or is that canada I'm thinking about ?

out of curiosity can you just show up and do the test what are waiting times like do you need to be a resident ?

could irish peoples go over to do the test some weekend and swap for an irish license or is that canada I'm thinking about ?

AFAIK, you have to be either a resident or a non-resident immigrant - no tourists allowed! :p

As with any license, I don't think you can do a straight swap for one back in Ireland anyway. You have to take the test. Waiting times for the test in the US are about a day if you're in a rush.

You can't just show up to do the Driving Test but it's just a case of making a phone call or going online to make the appointment ( in California at least, I'm sure it's the same in other states ).
    You need to have proof of legal residence so no popping over as a tourist.

There's not swapping of licenses.
    Driving on the opposite side of the road would be the main thing.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

as others have already said you cant do a straight swop for an irish licence,some states have agreements in place and will swop french and german licence's

i still have to do my test yet but thankfully i can waive the 30 day learner permit system they have here because i have a full licence from another country

knowing the way the irish licence system is it would have been a good idea if possible but alas its not,fair play to ya for thinking of it capt'n :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SoBe wrote: »
    as others have already said you cant do a straight swop for an irish licence,some states have agreements in place and will swop french and german licence's
    A french license :)

Le License
    pas de points

Hell no - It even says it in the rule book here - turn around and sling your arm over the passenger seat - or words to that effect.

giddyup wrote: »
    Hell no - It even says it in the rule book here - turn around and sling your arm over the passenger seat - or words to that effect.
    you are even allowed to take off your seat belt to facilitate doing this.

There are just too many blind spots with mirrors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Of course you're supposed to turn around, I hope you dont have a full licence ! (and you use your mirrors also)

I do have a full licence, and i didn't turn around during my driving test. The only time you need to turn at any stage is to check blind spots, and to do so you only need to turn your head. Your mirrors take care of everything else.

I do have a full licence, and i didn't turn around during my driving test. The only time you need to turn at any stage is to check blind spots, and to do so you only need to turn your head. Your mirrors take care of everything else.

Long live you to think so.
    -Iago to Othello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Nah..
    Your check your mirrors and LOOK in the direction your going before you move. On a truck you use your mirrors and a reversing camera if its equipped with one.

Mother of god .. when did you do your test :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Slightly off-topic, but this is how I learned to drive by my father who holds an advanced driving certificate. Driving instructor didnt seem to agree but when I went to the test, the tester told me to "do whatever I am comfortable with" and I did. Passed all around. :)

craichoe wrote: »
    Nah..
    Your check your mirrors and LOOK in the direction your going before you move. On a truck you use your mirrors and a reversing camera if its equipped with one.

Mother of god .. when did you do your test :)
    If you have to look in the direction you're going before you move then what's the point in having mirrors? When you pull off from a parked postion do you turn around in your seat to check what cars are coming? No, you check your mirrors and you're blind spot. If you're reversing around a corner then the mirrors will tell you what's behind you, you need to be facing the front (your mirrors) so you can keep looking to the right to see if there is a car coming towards you whilst on the bend and the nose of the car is out in the road, this is something you can't do if you're turned around in your seat looking behind you! You're mirrors are there to tell you what's behind you, that's their sole purpose. This is how i learned from my instructor and this is how i did my test. I reversed flawlessly all without turning around in my seat and i never do.

It's obvious everyone learned different so let's leave it ffs!

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but this is how I learned to drive by my father who holds an advanced driving certificate. Driving instructor didnt seem to agree but when I went to the test, the tester told me to "do whatever I am comfortable with" and I did. Passed all around. :)
    Fair enough:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There is a learning to drive forum where you can debate this to your hearts content. Please don't do it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Best of luck man, if you're taking it on an automatic if should be a breeze!

Advertisement