Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista key - is there specific 64 bit and 32 bit keys?

• 03-10-2007 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have a Vista key, but I'm not sure if its 64 bit or 32 bit. If I installed Vista 64 bit, would I be able to use the key if it was for 32 bit vista, or does anyone know if there is keys specific to each version of Vista

Sorry, I hope that this isnt going against the forum rules, I just wanted to know if I got a copy of 64 bit vista, if I could use it with my original Key. I'm sure thats not illegal too rite?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I was looking into this before and if I remember correctly there's no difference.
    I know MS were issuing a 64Bit DVD for a small price once you had the 32bit version and I don't think a change of COA was supplied as part of the upgrade although I could be wrong :o
    edit
    Here's the link to the MS offer
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If it's any help, I have Vista Ultimate which came with both 32 and 64bit DVDs. Each disc has it's own COA and product key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Vista Home Premium only comes with the 32-bit version on-disc, but I thought you could use the same key to install a 64 bit copy if you got your hands on the disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I have a few copies of ultimate, and there's only one key for both disks. In either case, it's very quick to find out as Vista asks for the key near the start of the install process.

Yes, you can use any (valid) product key with 64-bit media even if you were only given 32-bit to start with. The setup will automatically detect the version of Vista from the key that you entered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement