Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight parking

Options
  • 03-10-2007 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Just wondering if ye can leave your car in one of the carparks overnight, and if so would it be safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Not recommended, there's a fair amount of shenanigans goes on overnight. I met a guy in Belgrove res had the roof of his car danced on by some drunk w***er while he was parked overnight there, lots of car vandalism last year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I would recommend you park near the car park near O Reilly Hall . It is well lit and theres usually a bit of activity around there but theres no residences so it should be safe. Dont hold me to that tho:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

REAALLLY not a good idea. Could be gone by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I had to do it before because my car broke down. I left it by the O'Reilly hall and it was ok. A lot of people leave their cars in UCD overnight; people catching a plane park their cars here in order to avoid paying to park in the airport.

are you REALLY going to trust the words of someone called "Notorious" :P

and for those that dont know.

Notorious: Known widely and usually unfavorably; infamous.

just kidding ;) i suppose it could be safe SOMEHOW :P but i wouldnt take the risk myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

Well I'm leaving mine there tonight (in O'Reilly). Not something I like to do but nothing's happened yet (touches wood).

goodluck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Yeh, it'll be fine. I do it and have done it a fair bit. Just make sure that you leave it somewhere that there will be people around like in in one of the residences. It should be safe there, I've never had any problems! Merville is normally my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Notorious wrote:
    [...] people catching a plane park thir cars here in order to avoid paying to park in the airport.

And how do you get to the airport from UCD?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Aircoach goes from ucd/montrose hotel direct to airport. you'd save a fortune if it's a longish trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Richie15 wrote:
    And how do you get to the airport from UCD?

The Aircoach from the bus stop at the front entrance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Wouldn't recommend it. Had mine broken into a week ago, and according to the gardai, there is a problem in the area at the moment, and they have no leads (main suspect is locked up!)

masseyno9 wrote:
    Wouldn't recommend it. Had mine broken into a week ago, and according to the gardai, there is a problem in the area at the moment, and they have no leads (main suspect is locked up!)

Was that at night? In what car park? Was much taken?

I had mine broken into around this time 2 years ago in the gravel car park behind the blue church at about lunch time one Saturday. The pr1ck stole my U2 IPOD, CD holder full of CDs, €30 and some fireworks. I reckon that they targeted min because I had an IPOD connection wire coming out of the radio. I think that they did 7 cars in that carpark that day.

Funny thing about it was when the gaurds came down in a big riot van and were investigating over the course of a half hour or so the Services jeep drove by twice and never came near us to see what happened...useless f*****s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

farva wrote:
    Funny thing about it was when the gaurds came down in a big riot van and were investigating over the course of a half hour or so the Services jeep drove by twice and never came near us to see what happened...useless f*****s!!

I suppose they thought if the Gardaí were there, they weren't needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I wouldn't advise it. I've seen cars that have had their four wheels stolen because the owner was on holidays for a week in one of the carparks. (Karma, she'd blocked the entrance to one of the residential buildings and one of the mobility impaired students who lived there couldn't get into his apartment for ages, then she was pissed off at having to move her car shortly before she went on holidays. When she got home from holidays she was going nowhere. Oh how I laughed when I heard that it was her car!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Pay for parking elsewhere unless you have business in UCD. UCD Students and staff often have nowhere to park because people who have no business here but can well afford to pay elsewhere don't do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Red Alert wrote:
    Pay for parking elsewhere unless you have business in UCD. UCD Students and staff often have nowhere to park because people who have no business here but can well afford to pay elsewhere don't do so.
    dont worry im a student here, i was just wondering if it would be ok to drive in, leave my car there, go out that night and collect it on my way home the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 missym

I lived in Glenomena on campus for a year and I parked my car in the carpark there. My car was never damaged and I never heard of anyone elses car being damaged in Glenomena so you could try parking it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

farva wrote:
    Was that at night? In what car park? Was much taken?

I had mine broken into around this time 2 years ago in the gravel car park behind the blue church at about lunch time one Saturday. The pr1ck stole my U2 IPOD, CD holder full of CDs, €30 and some fireworks. I reckon that they targeted min because I had an IPOD connection wire coming out of the radio. I think that they did 7 cars in that carpark that day.

True, the UCD security are pretty useless. Guys patrolling were fairly helpful, and i don't blame them for not seeing the break-in (they are given a big area to patrol,) but their manager was the least helpful gobsh1te i have ever dealt with. Gave me a phone no. for the gardai and left me waiting for them.

It was in over at the architecture building in richview. Clonskeagh side of the college, a bit isolated i suppose. Just ipod stolen, reckon it was the cable coming out of the stereo that gave it away too. Didn't take CDs or sunglasses or anything else, which were all in glove box with the ipod. Worrying though, because its regular for us to be in studio until 10pm (break-in happened between 9 and 10) and i'm worried it might happen again. Car was alarmed by the way, but no-one seemed to hear it. Alarm was definitely activated because when i beeped it from a distance it beeped weirdly. Only when we got closer we saw the smashed window.

masseyno9 wrote:
    Car was alarmed by the way, but no-one seemed to hear it. Alarm was definitely activated because when i beeped it from a distance it beeped weirdly. Only when we got closer we saw the smashed window.

Exact same alarm situation as myself, my alarm definately went off too, but bleeped weirdly when I came to open the car.

(Apparently theres some relatively new noise regulation that modern alarms can only go off for 30 seconds when a sensor is set off and if the sensor is set off more than 5 times the alarm wont go off at all anymore until it is reset by the fob...so thats why the alarm wouldn't have been going off when you got back to your car)

You're lucky that they had the decency to smash your window, I had my front passanger door mangled with a screw driver or something similar and after getting it repaired it still aint right. What I'd give to have caught them in the act...

I think that I know the car park that you're talking about (I'm based at the other end of the campus in quinn) Would you not be safer leaving your car in the sports centre car park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

masseyno9 wrote:
    It was in over at the architecture building in richview. Clonskeagh side of the college, a bit isolated i suppose. Just ipod stolen, reckon it was the cable coming out of the stereo that gave it away too. Didn't take CDs or sunglasses or anything else, which were all in glove box with the ipod. Worrying though, because its regular for us to be in studio until 10pm (break-in happened between 9 and 10) and i'm worried it might happen again. Car was alarmed by the way, but no-one seemed to hear it. Alarm was definitely activated because when i beeped it from a distance it beeped weirdly. Only when we got closer we saw the smashed window.
    Moral of your story - never leave anything out in view. Hardly a day goes by I don't see a car window smashed where I live in town (it's by no means a bad area). Prime time seems to be 2pm - 4pm, and the street is covered in cameras.

I used to give out to friend of mine about leaving stuff out in view. He left a cash box out one day in the car park by the running track only to have some thug mangle his lock trying to get in. I laughed hard when he told me the box was full of nothing but pens. He learnt his lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

masseyno9 wrote:
    True, the UCD security are pretty useless. Guys patrolling were fairly helpful, and i don't blame them for not seeing the break-in (they are given a big area to patrol,) but their manager was the least helpful gobsh1te i have ever dealt with. Gave me a phone no. for the gardai and left me waiting for them.

Private security anywhere has to be prevention since the cure end is up to the gardai, once your stuff is gone it's over to them for any hope of recovery. Rude of him not to call them for you though... Did you get any go from the Gardai in the end?

Advertisement