Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Remarks

Options
  • 03-10-2007 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I have an old thread on here about a gripe I had with a lecturer giving me **** marks in my exams last year. I didnt appeal the exam results then cause he was my course head and he was marking my thesis.

I just got my exam results back and to be honest I am completely amazed at what he has given me.

Thesis 60%, 1 exam 64%.

My thesis work was considered good enough for a PhD, and I have contacted my supervisor asking him to mark it himself and give me a rough grade.

But I have basically had enough of this bull****. I want every paper I have ever sat with this lecturer remarked by someone external, as I feel I am being penalised for no reason.

Anyone know how I can go about doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

This is my original thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055017007&referrerid=&highlight=exam

Oh and some further examples, average for this year excluding all exams marked by this lecturer: 77%

Marked by him: 63%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

luck of the draw. i doubt you can do too much about the previous exam results as they are already in the system and have been worked on. and im also very doubtful that they will allow you to change who marks your papers just because he/she marks hard. if that was the case everyone would be trying to get "easy markers" by complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

I had kind of a similar problem with an examiner. Looked at my paper some qustions with no marks at all on it, one question with a massive red mark around a statement. I asked him about it and he said it made no sense and hadn't been qualified, I asked him to look at the line directly below in which I had qualified it. He said "oh that makes a bit of difference". He then proceeded to tell me if i wanted it rechecked that it would but it wouldn't be remarked and that basically I couldn't get it remarked, it "wasn't the universities way". What really pissed me off though was both him and the Year Co Ordinator couldn't tell me how much I failed by. D- in a 50% part and E + in another 50% part. They said it was probably less than 1% but weren't sure. I complained said I had been both sick (had doctors note) and had attended all tutorials and completed the work for these. Response - WE don't look at that stuff.

Moral of the story--- Trust no one and never go to tutorials thinking they might pass you if your borderline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭DamoVOTF

luck of the draw. i doubt you can do too much about the previous exam results as they are already in the system and have been worked on. and im also very doubtful that they will allow you to change who marks your papers just because he/she marks hard. if that was the case everyone would be trying to get "easy markers" by complaining.

If this was a matter of working hard, I wouldnt care. I would happily say 'Yeah I didnt do enough work, my fault.'

BUT I have seen how this guy works, its an absolute joke. Half marking my paper last year? Teaching a computers course and asking for ALL course work to be handed up on paper (half the class handed up reports saying their code did stuff it never did).

On the thesis topic, he said no literature reviews and must be recent and where possible cutting edge. Mine was as close to the edge of Finance as you can get these days. Still I get 60%, some guy in my class handed up a piece of group work for another class as his thesis. I bet he scores better than me.

The lecturer is clueless which is in itself bad but he just has favourites and then marks everyone else off what his favourites get. No offence but I paid a **** load for this course and the LEAST I expect is for my work to be marked fairly. Not some fairy bull****, which involves nothing but personal opinion, I did a mathematical subject.

Anyway, Im ranting, Im contacting the head of the school and exam appeals. I have a job now so I am doing it out of principal.

Advertisement