Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four shootings last night.

Options
  • 03-10-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Four houses were shot at last night, and all had people in them as it happened.

The first was at Richmond Park in Corbally, the second was in Glencairn. The last two were in St Mary's Park on the same street, with the last shooting taking place as the Gardai were still at the scene of the one on the same street.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Jaysus that's a lot.

Glencairn is a pretty decent enough spot, used rent there before, not exactly a typical place for shootings.

By the way, what's the deal with the councils buying up houses around Limerick?

It's been said they're buying in Dooradoyle and Raheen. This seems very snobbish and maybe un-PC but that could result in dodgy characters being spread everywhere around Limerick.

We all get to have shootings in our neighbourhoods then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

It's been said they're buying in Dooradoyle and Raheen. This seems very snobbish and maybe un-PC but that could result in dodgy characters being spread everywhere around Limerick.(

I totally agree and I'm worried too. Is there any safe area then in LIM if the scum is spread over the city? Maybe only in our mayors or Willie O'D.s neighbourhood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I totally agree and I'm worried too. Is there any safe area then in LIM if the scum is spread over the city? Maybe only in our mayors or Willie O'D.s neighbourhood...

Indeed.

Could cause more bad press for the good people of Limerick and promote vigilantism.

Wouldn't happen in the area where I was raised. People would go mental and the guys with the camo gear and balaclavas would be brought in. Gets the job done.

We'll just be told to shut the f**k up with our moaning by the government and councils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Only the four? Quiet night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

3 of us were on the way home last night after a pint, and glasses were thrown at us. Patrick St. area.

Town was rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hagar wrote:
    Only the four? Quiet night.

its them Chinese buying up all the lead, ammo prices are constantly on the up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Heard on the radio a while ago that it was a semi pump action shotgun that they used - sounded at the time more like 6 rapid handgun shots!

Really put the wind up someone that wouldnt be used to the sound of gunfire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

When are the powers that be going to stand up to this type of scum.
    It's a bloody disgrace that all this has been going on as long as it has.
    Why should the majority of law abiding citizens have their streets full of scum with no regard for the law.

I know that may other countries would have taken a much harder line on these scum that seems to be happening in limerick right now.

A zero tolerance policy should exist and after a few years of a policy such as that, limerick could be cleaned out big time.

It's been going on far to long now, and we seem to be generating a new generation of them, with even less regard for human life and the law.

Why wreck other estates with people who have shown utter disregard for everyone.
    Here's a nice free house in the suburbs - please don't go mad now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Its a great country all the same where good for nothing dole bums are given accomodation for free beside people who have to go out and work like dogs for their houses.
    It makes you wonder why people bother, just behave like a knack & wait for the council to give you a plush house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

LB6 wrote:
    Heard on the radio a while ago that it was a semi pump action shotgun that they used - sounded at the time more like 6 rapid handgun shots!

Really put the wind up someone that wouldnt be used to the sound of gunfire!
    I heard the one in Glencairn, about 12.30 I think. 5 or 6 very rapid shots (followed by a house alarm), so unlikely to be a pump action I'd say. Wasn't sure what it was at the time as I'm a bit away from Glencairn and was partly asleep. I didn't hear any Garda sirens though so I wonder did they even come out? Maybe nobody reported it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

jor el wrote:
    I heard the one in Glencairn, about 12.30 I think. 5 or 6 very rapid shots (followed by a house alarm), so unlikely to be a pump action I'd say. Wasn't sure what it was at the time as I'm a bit away from Glencairn and was partly asleep. I didn't hear any Garda sirens though so I wonder did they even come out? Maybe nobody reported it at the time.

Maybe that house didn't ring the Gardai because they had to do a bit of stashing first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jor el wrote:

define rapid, if they were within about 4 seconds then it could easily have been a pump

Hi Veg,

Happened at 12.47. 6 rapid fire under 3 secs - sounded like a 9mm. Hg totally different sound to a shotgun. Called plod and they said they'd send a car out! Never heard another thing, bar the house alarm going off, until the news on the radio this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's been going on far to long now, and we seem to be generating a new generation of them, with even less regard for human life and the law.

Its desperate if on a thread like this peeps are discussing the type of weaponary and ammo used! I'd say if this happened here in Waterford there would be no end of outrage.

The people of Limerick have to get thier act together and start pressurising all levels of authority otherwise it'll never end and continue to spread out.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

And they want to start moving scum like this into areas where they are not wanted? I personally couldn't give a **** if some scumbag family has to sleep rough on the streets and eat food from bins as long as they don't start moving these gutter level bastards into my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most of these scumbags have plenty of money from their criminal activities. They have property all over the city whether it be bought or given to them through social services. So it was only a matter of time before their battles spread to other areas imo.

Regarding the council buying up houses in other areas may have something to do with the strong rumour that St Mary's Park is going to be levelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

cancan wrote:
    A zero tolerance policy should exist and after a few years of a policy such as that, limerick could be cleaned out big time.

Fianna Fail promised this a few years back, but it turned out to be more false promises and lies.

And I presume you meant "limerick could be cleaned UP" ???? "cleaned out" implies empty :eek: , which would back up the impression that the Dublin media give/have - that everyone in Limerick is a scumbag ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Regardless of St Marys Park being demolished, there is absolutely no need to inflict these problem familys on decent areas of the city. This move is going to turn the entire area of Limerick City and its surrounding areas into a massive flashpoint of gangland violence. It is not as simple as integrating these individuals into quiet areas and hoping they change their ways. They won't. This is a massive dangerous mistake the council are making and any violence or unrest that occurs because of this will be solely on their heads.

The problem is that these families will be relocated, and they will follow their usual paths of having their own way wherever they are. Residents of these areas will be too scared to do anything and as usual the Gardai will do **** all about it. Its typical of Limerick City Council to just move the problem instead of trying to resolve it. In an ideal world the Gardai would enforce a zero tolerance policy on these scumbags.Then again this is Ireland and we are talking about one of the most cowardly and inefficent law enforcment entities in the world. Here's hoping they kill each other off nice and quickly and let the rest of us go about our lives without any interference from these inbred ****heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

IMO i think the Gardai will decide where to place em.if they are placed strategically they can be watched and put closer to Garda stations.for example,the island is almost impeneterable to Garda surveillance seeing as there is only one road in and out of the place

eroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

DarkJager wrote:
    Here's hoping they kill each other off nice and quickly and let the rest of us go about our lives without any interference from these inbred ****heads.

That's a wish for years now. But unfortunately it never will happen. Just wishful thinking.

I'm disappointed every time i read "X.Y. from O'Malley Park is in a stable condition after a shoting incident last night".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

eroo wrote:
    IMO i think the Gardai will decide where to place em.if they are placed strategically they can be watched and put closer to Garda stations.for example,the island is almost impeneterable to Garda surveillance seeing as there is only one road in and out of the place

eroo

Look at where the police station at Roxboro is, and the one in Mayorstone. Having a police station nearby does not have any effect on the ones who want to rob, shoot etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

eroo wrote:

eroo

Why not just move them in to next door to some of the guards houses then?
    They need to sort this ****e out for once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lets face it, these type of scum are not afraid of the Gardai. They encourage them to come into these estates so they can take pot shots at them. They have guns, what have the Gardai got? Harsh words!

The time has come imo for the Constitution to be brought into the 21st Century so that the "on the beat" Gardai can be armed, to fight this sort of scum on a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

the gardi are frightened & can you blame them. These scum are well armed & have no respect for life or the law.
    Its gonna get worse before it gets better unfortunately:mad:

matter of time before these housing estates have armed security

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

to be fair,the gardai arent scared..they just dont have the right resources available.when we get that new armed garda unit things will change.the fact is they're not scared of them,just look in The Post and see how many scumbags they put away.problem lies with courts,also if they cant prove that a certain person shot another then theres nothing they can do.in nearly every case,the gardai know who carried out the shootings but people wont come forward with the info.people are always talking about 'nobody doing anything'.fact is these are the same people who if they banded together and actually tried to help the gardai,could give the very info needed and put these cowboys off the streets

eroo

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

eroo, you are spot on. The laws are setup to protect the accused. It is almost impossible to get a guilty verdict anymore. The Gardai know exactly who is doing what in this town but the courts will continue to set scum free unless you have a cast iron case, which with intimidation of witnesses, jury members etc is impossible. The law needs to be changed. In cases of execptional violence and drugs a jury should not be used. It is nearly impossible to to get a jury for any big trial in Limerick now. A panel of judges or allow the jury to watch the trial on camera from another location to protect identities.

As for the council buying houses all around the city to hand out as social housing, it's a disgrace. Spreading the cancer all around the city will not help cure the cancer only speed up the demise of many fine neighbourhoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

My god, 4 shootings in one night? That sounds like one rough ghetto there. I thought Limerick wasnt bad, that it was ' just the dublin media' but from this thread Im getting the impression shootings are a regular occurance, with people naming the guns and ammo just from the sound of gunshots, gardai afraid of criminals etc. Hang in there guys, hope it gets better for you soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

utick wrote:
    My god, 4 shootings in one night? That sounds like one rough ghetto there. I thought Limerick wasnt bad, that it was ' just the dublin media' but from this thread Im getting the impression shootings are a regular occurance, with people naming the guns and ammo just from the sound of gunshots, gardai afraid of criminals etc. Hang in there guys, hope it gets better for you soon

Don't worry, utick - it was definitely an exceptional weekend.....looking at the facts, I'd remind people again that it's not "Limerick" as a whole, but a couple of dodgy areas.....as usual, a couple of scumbags from dodgy families in dodgy areas grab the headlines, and while some people here appear to have been close enough to what happened, most of Limerick (including myself) was oblivious to it until we read it in the paper.....

Seriously, though - considering that one of the national newspapers mentioned that there have been 17 murders since August 1st alone - it appears that "Limerick" ain't the only place getting worse.....something HAS to be done - and SOON!

Where's John O'Donoghue with his proposed "zero tolerance" ???? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

I live in glencairin, retired at about 01:30 that night/morning in question, I did not hear anything. where in glencairin was the shooting?

• Advertisement

Utick - "with people naming the guns and ammo just from the sound of gunshots"

Not everybody is able to do that - I only mentioned it because I'm in that sport and know the various sounds and can descipher sg from hg, and only mentioned it because, imho, the information given about fa being used was incorrect.

Again don't always take what you read in the media to be 100% accurate, it hardly ever is and as Liam said, this weekend was the exception rather than the rule.

Boardsdotie - sounded like it came from somewhere in the houses behind the pub.

Advertisement