Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House names

Options
  • 03-10-2007 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi

Looking for ideas for a house name. My new house is in the country. its near a hill and over looks fields and farm land...... its in a townland meaning the land or area or swans.....im looking for something original and different.....

Any ideas?? please help.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think you might have gotten lost.

Try Home and Garden under the Rec section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dún Eala.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

Tir Na N'Og, Fallen Oak, Four Winds, Bracken View, Someday ( as in I'll own it! ) ...............

yours

secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My Irish sucks, but......

Radharc na cnoic = View of the hills
    Parthas = Paradise (used a dictionary for that one, hehe)
    Gairdín na [Éden] = Garden of Eden.... going for the 'utopia' vibe now, lol. Don't know Eden as Gaeilge.
    Neverland :)
    Teach na brionglóidí = House of dreams

out of them I like 'Parthas'... assuming it's not a shed on some windy hill in Monaghan :D Then maybe it could be considered ironic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Hill-View, Farm-view, Town view, Swan-View.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

for my house i found out that there used to be an old house on the land, owned by a family that weaved baskets for a living... i have asked my older neighbours what they can recall of the family etc... so my house is now being called "The Weavers".
    Your older neighbours are definitely a good source as they may have a name for the section of the road, know who used to own it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Be careful no to get too pretentious as some people go way over the top with grandiose names for what are essentially dung heaps.

I always consider that the most important element of a house is the people in it as that is the element that puts life into a mere structure. So, a good compromise to avoid arguments is a house name that is composed of the partners' names. e.g. Brendan and Maureen's house becomes Brenmaur or any other imaginitive or clever varaiation on names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cataholic

We're South African with the only word we know in Gaelic being for milk and I'm not sure about the spelling of even that. Last time we moved and I was lugging box number 470630659 up a flight of stairs I came up with the Irish sounding name of Carranamor which is derived from my new but very determined motto of Carry No More (boxes ever again). We thought it was a grand in-house joke (yeah our humour levels worry me too) but we were amused when an old timer at the Local suggested it was an old name given to the house by the previous generation and it meant The Rock??

Sorry that doesnt really help with naming your house but I do relate to the problem. Good luck

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Swan Lodge
    Radharc na eala

• Advertisement
Advertisement