Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Locked Keys in Car

Options
  • 03-10-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey all, My girlfriend locked her keys in her car. Passenger side door lock doesnt central lock so she got out that side (narrow driveway) and locked it from the inside and then closed the door. All the doors are locked, nothing opens, but im wondering is there any alternative to a locksmith?
    The spare key is about 3 and a half hours away, and then 3 and a half hours back.
    Its a hyundai accent, there a push in lock not a pop down one if that makes any difference.

Suggestions please....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Shamrogue wrote:
    Hey all, My girlfriend locked her keys in her car. Passenger side door lock doesnt central lock so she got out that side (narrow driveway) and locked it from the inside and then closed the door. All the doors are locked, nothing opens, but im wondering is there any alternative to a locksmith?
    The spare key is about 3 and a half hours away, and then 3 and a half hours back.
    Its a hyundai accent, there a push in lock not a pop down one if that makes any difference.

Suggestions please....

Call the garage you bought it from and ask for the key number. Any locksmith at all can cut the key if they know the key number. The dealer may not tell you, thinking you might be just out to steal the car, so I hope you either bought it from him or you know each other to some degree.

If its alarmed, the alarm will go off once you open the door, but it can be silenced then using the original key set.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Cheers, ill try and get in contact with them later on. How would the garage know the key number? Im guessing giving some details then can pull up the information on the car yes?

Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Yeah, that's how it worked for me, rang the original garage, gave them the car reg. (original dealer, means to you a hyundai dealer who sold it first, they usually keep the key number data etc on file)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hi,

This sounds strange but it does actually work. You can use mobile phones to unlock cars that have central locking.

Rather than you driving to get the spare set of keys, if there is a neighbour that can go into your house to get the second set. Get them to ring your GF, mobile to mobile. Then ask them to put the key fob to the mouth piece and press the Open button. At the same time get your GF to point her mobile at the car, it should open the doors.

And before you all call me nuts, I have done this with my own car. Now you can call me nuts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Youre NUTS!! ... Ah no , i have heard of this before , but the OP never mentioned it had Remote Central locking , and i wouldnt think it does as she locked it by hand ... you wouldnt do this if you had a remote out of habbit.

Try a coat hanger and pull the door frame back a bit if youre really desperate to get it open asap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

I might try the coat hanger if im desperate, ill have all the neighbours looking at me thinking im stealing the car. I think ill dress all in black while im doing it too!
    Its not remote central locking but ill have to try this in my car! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

do you have a tennis ball handy?

if so you could bounce it while waiting the 3 and a half hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

RosieJoe wrote:
    Get them to ring your GF, mobile to mobile. Then ask them to put the key fob to the mouth piece and press the Open button. At the same time get your GF to point her mobile at the car, it should open the doors.

You cannot be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

RosieJoe wrote:
    Hi,

This sounds strange but it does actually work. You can use mobile phones to unlock cars that have central locking.

Rather than you driving to get the spare set of keys, if there is a neighbour that can go into your house to get the second set. Get them to ring your GF, mobile to mobile. Then ask them to put the key fob to the mouth piece and press the Open button. At the same time get your GF to point her mobile at the car, it should open the doors.

And before you all call me nuts, I have done this with my own car. Now you can call me nuts :D

.............I have heard this before, but now I am so curious I HAVE to try it !
    I will try it tonight and report tomorrow, put and end to it one way or another !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've heard it before and it should work as alarms are mostly ultrasound. If a phone can transmit voice and all the backround static it should do an alarm sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

call the AA and ask if they think they can open it. if they can might be worth signing up for the AA just for this

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RosieJoe wrote:
    Really? http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

lol people will believe anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

C_Breeze wrote:
    and i wouldnt think it does as she locked it by hand ... you wouldnt do this if you had a remote out of habbit.

Scenario. Car locked. Press key fob, open boot, rummage around, put down key inside boot for a second, rummage some more. close boot. problem.

**** of a thing. I had to walk 3 miles the last time I did it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

On that note, if the car's a hatchback, see if the boot is locked. Maybe it isn't and you can hop in that way?

And otherwise, I'd bust in a window.

Does it have a remote boot release ?

Could you use a hanger and a loop of string to lift it up ?

I've done that on a few Jap cars where the release lever is on the floor !

esel wrote:

...............thats that then !!

So now what am I going to do tonight ?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

m_stan wrote:
    call the AA and ask if they think they can open it. if they can might be worth signing up for the AA just for this

You can't call the AA out till 24 hours after you join. Broke down before in the middle of a multi story car park. As I have their insurace rang and asked about joining. Explained I was broke down now and she said that I had to wait 24 hours:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could do it anyway....
    Not everything you read on the Internet is true!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 E003YRJ

break the back quarter window... open d door...bout 15euro 2 replace otherwise get a pry bar nd wedge it between d top corner of d driver or pass door.. can pry it about 4inches apart without breakin anythin then get ur coat hanger nd fish around at d lock... works 4 me all d time... 15min job..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

E003YRJ wrote:
    break the back quarter window... open d door...bout 15euro 2 replace otherwise get a pry bar nd wedge it between d top corner of d driver or pass door.. can pry it about 4 inches apart without breakin anythin then get ur coat hanger nd fish around at d lock... works 4 me all d time... 15min job..
    Jebus mate, 1/2 inch should be plenty!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement