Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for ladies

• 03-10-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello,

Have been a long time reader of these boards but finally took the plunge and joined today.

Heres a question about fashion that Ive been wondering about

Why do women wear low cut tops? Is there something more comfortable about them?
    They say they do not like men looking at their breasts, but then wear low cut tops to draw attention to them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Welcome!

.....I Personally dont anyway.... I have quite big boobs and i hate drawing attention to them. i mostly keep them covered and even when i do wear a low cut top (Only on nights out sometimes) i keep pulling at my top. lol.

but i know ppl who wear Ridiculously low cut tops to the point where Nipple keeps trying to pop out....i'd laugh if someone like that said they dont like men lookin. if you're wearin a low cut top ya HAVE to expect it. sure if a girl wears a really low cut top around me i cant help but Glance myself!! i was wearing one one night and i kept catching my friend (Female) Lookin. lol. its just one of those things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I wear low cut tops when I'm out somtimes because I have nice boobs. if you've got it flaunt it! You have to show your best parts. It's not that I want men to look at them (although if I'm wearing a very low-cut top I expect it) it's just that wearing low cut tops is more flattering on me as I have quite a round face but am slim elsewhere. I did wear a low cut top to work once by accident. it was terrible I had to keep hiking it up and all these senior managers were staring at my boobies while they talked to me!

watna wrote:
    I wear low cut tops when I'm out somtimes because I have nice boobs. if you've got it flaunt it! You have to show your best parts. It's not that I want men to look at them (although if I'm wearing a very low-cut top I expect it) it's just that wearing low cut tops is more flattering on me as I have quite a round face but am slim elsewhere. I did wear a low cut top to work once by accident. it was terrible I had to keep hiking it up and all these senior managers were staring at my boobies while they talked to me!

hehe,
    the most anyone in my job sees is maybe only a tiny bit at the very top of my Cleavage. luckily.... full of men in my job. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Plus a lot of tops are low cut...it's kind of hard to find ones that aren't! Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LuckyLad

you have to show your best parts. It's not that I want men to look at them

This ia bit of a contrdiction, You want tio show, yet do not want anyone to look at them!!!!

• Advertisement

LuckyLad wrote:
    This ia bit of a contrdiction, You want tio show, yet do not want anyone to look at them!!!!

No! I mean, I don't want men to stare at me or anything, as in I'm not looking for their attention but wearing low cut tops makes me look better overall. The booby staring is an occupational hazard! And as Clare Bear said most tops are made that way anyway.

No! I mean, I don't want men to stare at me or anything, in a flirtatious wat but wearing low cut tops makes me look better overall. The booby staring is an occupational hazard! And as Clare said most tops are made that way anyway.

hmm, ok, Think I understand what you mean now

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

There's a difference between having a quick glance and gawping with your tongue hanging out. Its the latter that most women take offence to.

There's a difference between having a quick glance

So women dont mind a quick glance???

LuckyLad wrote:

If we did mind then we'd be annoyed every minute of the day sometimes! btw we always know when you're doing it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

LuckyLad wrote:
    hmm, ok, Think I understand what you mean now

you dont understand we men can never understand
    its not rational its not logical its nonsense

but I know why you pretended to understand

watna wrote:
    If we did mind then we'd be annoyed every minute of the day sometimes! btw we always know when you're doing it too!

thats because we are always doing it!

its not that you know its that thats the only thing we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Depends what you feel comfortable with wearing - for some women wearing low-cut tops makes them feel attractive or is particularly flattering, for others (me included) we'd prefer not to.

you dont understand we men can never understand
    its not rational its not logical its nonsense

but I know why you pretended to understand

Well, I thought it would be polite!!!

But I do understand.

They wear low cut tops, not because of the comfort, not because of they want mens attention, it is because they feel better about it.
    However, they do not mind men who just glance at their low cut tops, but do not like men who stare at them.
    This begs the question, What about a guy who doesnt get a good glance the first time, Is he entitles to a second glance?

All very logical!!!

LuckyLad wrote:
    Well, I thought it would be polite!!!

But I do understand.

They wear low cut tops, not because of the comfort, not because of they want mens attention, it is because they feel better about it.
    However, they do not mind men who just glance at their low cut tops, but do not like men who stare at them.
    This begs the question, What about a guy who doesnt get a good glance the first time, Is he entitles to a second glance?

All very logical!!!

but why do they feel better?

come on your a male you can use yoru brain:D

Rob_l wrote:
    but why do they feel better?

come on your a male you can use yoru brain:D

Yeah, Well thats going back to my original question!!!

LuckyLad wrote:
    Yeah, Well thats going back to my original question!!!

which was never answered properly because they dont know!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

LuckyLad what is the purpose of your question, exactly? Do you feel boobs should be 'covered up' completely? As long as nipples aren't on view isn't it modest?
    Have you ever seen a woman with large boobs wearing a high-necked top or even - gód forbid- a poloneck? Not a good look.
    Sometimes a low-cut top is far more flattering.
    And yes, the purpose of a lot clothes is to flatter the wearer. Call us vain and empty if you like.

LuckyLad what is the purpose of your question, exactly? Do you feel boobs should be 'covered up' completely? As long as nipples aren't on view isn't it modest?
    Have you ever seen a woman with large boobs wearing a high-necked top or even - gód forbid- a poloneck? Not a good look.
    Sometimes a low-cut top is far more flattering.
    And yes, the purpose of a lot clothes is to flatter the wearer. Call us vain and empty if you like.

Can i call you vain and empty?

I like the vain and empty look though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sparkle21

i personally find low cut tops comfortable.if im wearing a normal tshirt i feel restricted in my movement and thus i have to speak up that we do like wearing low cut tops but sometimes we like flaunting our boobs aswel,to get male attention.
    yes you guys get given out to when we see you staring out our boobs but behind that giving out we secretly like it. i dont know why but i do anyway!
    if youve got nice boobs,why should you hide them? show em,but not too much it can definitly look disasterous if you squeeze yourself into a tiny top and you entire cleavage is popping out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

LuckyLad wrote:

There's nothing wrong with a quick glance, but talking directly to the boobs and not the face of the owner is a definite no-no.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i dont always wear low cut tops on purpose, but for example i find that v-neck style tops are most flattering for my shape.
    this usually means that they will show a bit of cleavage. i dont mind looking, but blatant staring is annoying.
    because of the size/shape of my breasts, i find high, round neck t-shirts can often look silly, and sometimes just not fit properly around my chest at all! things that fit around my chest/back are often then very baggy on my waist. a v-cut top allows a little extra stretch and slack in that area, for maximum comfort and flattery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

watna wrote:
    No! I mean, I don't want men to stare at me or anything, as in I'm not looking for their attention but wearing low cut tops makes me look better overall. The booby staring is an occupational hazard! And as Clare Bear said most tops are made that way anyway.

Translation:

hot men staring at my knockers = cool

ugly men staring at my knockers = not cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

High necks make big boobs look awful saggy.

Funnily enough myself and a girl in the office were talkin about this today.

Even girls have a Glance at other girls Boobs!! its just one of those things!! lol (And i know SOMEones gonna give me a smart answer here...Ahem) but whether you're Straight,Gay...whatever....Everyone loves a Bit of Boob! :D
    Its just up to the individual how much they wanna show.... i'd laugh if a bloke was staring at me in a low cut top and i would get slightly offended. infact, id probably embarrass the crap out of him..hehe. but you're gonna at least get a few Looks... any girl who wears a low-cut top can only moan to an extent i guess is what all that waffle was building up to. ...sorry. cant be arsed deleting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

Niamho! wrote:
    Funnily enough myself and a girl in the office were talkin about this today.

Even girls have a Glance at other girls Boobs!! its just one of those things!! lol (And i know SOMEones gonna give me a smart answer here...Ahem) but whether you're Straight,Gay...whatever....Everyone loves a Bit of Boob! :D
    Its just up to the individual how much they wanna show.... i'd laugh if a bloke was staring at me in a low cut top and i would get slightly offended. infact, id probably embarrass the crap out of him..hehe. but you're gonna at least get a few Looks... any girl who wears a low-cut top can only moan to an extent i guess is what all that waffle was building up to. ...sorry. cant be arsed deleting it.

You sound as if you have something to gawk at!!! Well done for the honesty girl!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Good question Brother,

As a man who has only recently began to take "pride" in my appearance, and wearing nice things,
    I guess the answer to your question is that it is nice to be noticed.

I feel a bit better during the day if someone compliments me on how I look. It's a little boost.

If I was a woman, I'd wear tops depending on how I'm feeling:

Borind work day - boring top
    Girls night out - flirty top to get a wink from the boys
    etc

I wouldn't like anyone ogleing me though.

I used to hang around with this woman, and one time she dressed me up as a woman.
    It was quite interesting, we had a few drinks and a laugh.

She put make up - lipstick, mascara, blusher on me. She did my nails,
    and I got into one of her skirts and tops and shoes.

I was surprised at how it made me feel, with your nails painted scarlet red,
    you are more aware of how pretty your hands are.
    (By the way girls, you should only file your nails in one direction, not over and back
    you'll ruin your cuticle bed, and always have bad nails, just a little tip.;) )

In a dress, you are more conscious of your legs and how you walk.
    And shoes change your walk altogether.

In our society sometimes it's hard for us men to understand how important clothes are to a woman.
    Here is a little exercise you could try to get a handle on it:

Try going to work/college dressed smartly, you'd be surprized at how
    good a compliment makes you feel. :)

Translation:

hot men staring at my knockers = cool

ugly men staring at my knockers = not cool

That pretty much seems to be it.
    High necks make big boobs look awful saggy.

This argument has been used a few times in this thread.
    What about women with smaller breasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

The same plain blue v-neck jumper can look conservative as hell on someone with a small chest and positively indecent on me. I'm pretty busty and seriously, as Dizzyblonde said, polo necks and so on just look so much worse. They actually make your chest look bigger (if possible)!

Also my breasts are quite high up on my chest. Obviously not up at my neck but it means that very many tops are "low cut" on me. Some girls' breasts are lower down and don't have to worry as much. That's my experience anyway.

In short - sometimes a girl just can't help it!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement