Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to buy?

Options
  • 03-10-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I'm "thinking" of buying a new car. I currently have an A4 (2.0 litre petrol). Nice car, enjoy driving it, but spend far too much time on the M50 going nowhere, and it's too bland on the inside.

So, I was thinking of down-grading in terms of make/model, but going all out on the specs... like leather, heated seats, better sound system, more control options on the steering wheel (e.g. cruise, answer phone, radio/player controls), DVD screens in headrests for kids on long journeys. As a family we drive long distance at least once per month. I still want oomph.

If I looked for those types of options on a new Audi or similar make/model I'd be looking at a second mortgage! So is there a car out there for me that can give me the oomph & the specs, be reliable and not cost an arm and a leg?

I'm not particularly car savvy, but I was browsing car makes/models and something like a good spec 5 dr Ford Focus h/back is the closest I came.

Any other suggetions of makes/models that might deliver the above without going into Audi, BMW or Merc teritory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you already have an Audi, I'd suggest being prepared to go a little older than you'd like and getting a speccier example.

You won't believe me when I say this but you will miss the engineering if you downgraded to a hatch.

Lots of people here have gone to the UK for speccy cars including myself and there is a saving which is greater, the more you're spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

Would you consider a Honda Accord? I drive an Honda Accord Auto iVect Excet 2L which I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

puss wrote:
    Would you consider a Honda Accord? I drive an Honda Accord Auto iVect Excet 2L which I love.

Sure.. all recommendations considered... then I do my homework on each.

BTW... any links to photos/specs are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

i second the accord. i love mine and ive the exec model with sat nav and its nice.

10455231a4399320930b252442572l.jpg

10455231a4447019120b994616001l.jpg

10455231a4491941521b258512062l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

DaDa wrote:
    I'm "thinking" of buying a new car. I currently have an A4 (2.0 litre petrol). Nice car, enjoy driving it, but spend far too much time on the M50 going nowhere, and it's too bland on the inside.

So, I was thinking of down-grading in terms of make/model, but going all out on the specs... like leather, heated seats, better sound system, more control options on the steering wheel (e.g. cruise, answer phone, radio/player controls), DVD screens in headrests for kids on long journeys. As a family we drive long distance at least once per month. I still want oomph.

If I looked for those types of options on a new Audi or similar make/model I'd be looking at a second mortgage! So is there a car out there for me that can give me the oomph & the specs, be reliable and not cost an arm and a leg?

I'm not particularly car savvy, but I was browsing car makes/models and something like a good spec 5 dr Ford Focus h/back is the closest I came.

Any other suggetions of makes/models that might deliver the above without going into Audi, BMW or Merc teritory?

have you considered 'downgrading' your reg plate instead of the car? a second hand audi a6/bmw 5 series/merc e class is a nicer car than an accord to be fair.

any idea of budget, large cars make great second hand buys and often many have low miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

Honda Accord- great car -dont know why there arent more of them on the roads.Mine is a 01 Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

A general budget or year of your current car (trade in value etc) would help!

Cyrus wrote:
    have you considered 'downgrading' your reg plate instead of the car? a second hand audi a6/bmw 5 series/merc e class is a nicer car than an accord to be fair.

Had not considered it... haven't had a great deal of luck with 2nd hand... however... when you mention A6 and Merc... it might be worth browsing.
    Cyrus wrote:
    any idea of budget, large cars make great second hand buys and often many have low miles

Depends on some financial returns late in 2007, but ballpark... 45k.. 50k max!
    Matt Simis wrote:
    A general budget or year of your current car (trade in value etc) would help!

Audi is 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are new versions of the Audi A4 and Honda Accord available from next year. Worth waiting if your buying new.

New Merc C Class has just being launched too. A bit early yet to see if it is a major improvement over the old model though.

I was going to suggest a VW Passat with all the trimings but from my uncle's experience so far with his 2007 model, their hyped up reputation for reliability leaves alot to be desired.

Lexus IS is a nice choice too.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    barryfitz wrote:

The A6 & Lexus are nice alright.

Never had any time for BMWs though.

or how about the new shape lexus gs300

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=804827

to be fair the gs300, audi a6 are in a different league to a honda accord and if you arent concerned with having a 08 you will get a serious car for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

vw phaeton?

lot of car for 30k - can't believe it doesn't have alloys though

good shout, i reckon they are alloys

Advertisement