Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major trouble with windows

• 03-10-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Ok so yesterday I had to turn my computer off, interuppting the updates it was performing, and when I tried to boot up later on I found that I couldn't. Last good config doesn't work (it starts to load windows then flashes a blue screen and restarts), and safe mode doesn't work either (opts to skip loading sptd.sys but restarts no matter what option I pick).
    I tried a repair off the windows cd, but it couldn't detect any hard drive. So I tried again this time loading sata drivers off a floppy, and I managed to get the blue screen and what was written on it...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EVEN

STOP: 0x00000001 (0x00000030, 0x00000007, 0x00000000, 0xF72969A0)
    viamraid.sys - Address F72969A0 base at F728c000, Datestamp 4063e304

I haven't tried a clean install of windows yet (my gut tells me that wouldn't work anyway) but does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Also I have windows on a seperate partition to my important data, so if all else fails I think I can format that partition and clean install on that without losing my data. But I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of installing all my programs again...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i think its a memory error, what version of windows are you using? 2000 sp2?

did you install any new hardward/software or update any drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

SP2. No new software/hardware. Newest hardware is over a month old now. It was a 1gig memory stick. No problems at all with it though but I suppose I could run a memtest overnight. Xp was updating drivers as the pc was turned off, so maybe something has gone wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

most likely.

try the memtest and see how you get on.

otherwise, unplug any external hardware and re-apply xp sp2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

10 hours now and no errors detected. Looks like I'll have to format the Windows partition and cross my fingers :p

[edit]Well I can browse all my files on the Windows partition from Ubuntu's Gnome Partition Editor, I wonder if I found the culprit driver could I delete it and fix it that way?

The viamraid.sys file is your SATA controller driver. Chances are that if you delete it you'll get another blue screen - code 0x0000007B, INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement