Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold car. Problem. Buyer wants me to pay for it

Options
  • 03-10-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I recently sold a car privetly. The car passed the nct the day before i sold it. The person i sold it to has now said that the timing belt snapped. This was tested as part of the NCT and passed. The person i sold it to is now looking for me to pay for the problem, even though when i sold the car there was no problem with it and i have an NCT cert to prove this.
    Legally im not sure where i stand. I didnt offer any warrenty with the car, as it was a private sale. To my knowledge the car was in perfect working condition, as confirmed by the nct.
    Do i have to pay for it?
    what do ye think?

anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Caveat Empor. His problem.

The NCT don't test timing belts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

iknorr wrote:
    Hey all,
    I recently sold a car privetly. The car passed the nct the day before i sold it. The person i sold it to has now said that the timing belt snapped. This was tested as part of the NCT and passed. The person i sold it to is now looking for me to pay for the problem, even though when i sold the car there was no problem with it and i have an NCT cert to prove this.
    Legally im not sure where i stand. I didnt offer any warrenty with the car, as it was a private sale. To my knowledge the car was in perfect working condition, as confirmed by the nct.
    Do i have to pay for it?
    what do ye think?

anyone know anything about this?

It's the buyers problem. On a private sale, the buyer has no comeback. Don't shell out a penny.

Also, the NCT doesn't "test" the timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

You sold the car as seen, and in good faith.

As others said, timing belts are not tested by the NCT. If I bought a car with no proven service history, I would assume the timing belt would require renewal, and this would be my first job on the car.

As a matter of interest OP, when did you sell the car, and how long after did the buyer come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭iknorr

yeah on page 12 of this http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf it says its checked. Probably just a visual but id assume they would check if it jumped a cog or two?

gyppo wrote:
    You sold the car as seen, and in good faith.

As others said, timing belts are not tested by the NCT. If I bought a car with no proven service history, I would assume the timing belt would require renewal, and this would be my first job on the car.

As a matter of interest OP, when did you sell the car, and how long after did the buyer come back?

it was about ten days /2 weeks i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

legally he has no comeback.

However, If i was in your position i would feel somewhat ethically obliged to maybe pay for some costs.

did he not ask you when/if the tb had been changed??

Did you not know this needs to be done every 50-60k ???

or did it snap premeaturely? .

I think its a questions of morals rather than legality

C_Breeze wrote:

However, If i was in your position i would feel somewhat ethically obliged to maybe pay for some costs.

it snapped prematurely. there was another 35k before its recommended change, theres a sticker on the window that also says this. Told him everything about the car including the belt. I looked after this car very well. it surprised me to here about it. I havent seen it myself yet but im arrangeing to meet.

C_Breeze wrote:

it snapped prematurely. there was another 35k before its recommended change, theres a sticker on the window that also says this. Told him everything about the car including the belt. I looked after this car very well. it surprised me to here about it. I havent seen it myself yet but im arrangeing to meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

iknorr wrote:
    I wouldn't arrange to meet him if I was you. You are only asking for trouble. If you are telling the truth here, then you have no reason at all whatsoever to give him a single penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'll have to put him right you owe him nothing and a calm chat should placate him (bring a freind!).

Mike.

• Advertisement

BnA wrote:
    I wouldn't arrange to meet him if I was you. You are only asking for trouble. If you are telling the truth here, then you have no reason at all whatsoever to give him a single penny.

its a shiity situation. I must inspect the car to see if hes telling the truth.

Morally its a ****ty situation. If i bought a car privately and that happened to me then id like the person to at least go halfs on the repair costs.
    But then again, if legally, i do not have to pay out anything, y should i?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

For moral support, refer him to this thread to see what us folks also think.

mike65 wrote:
    You'll have to put him right you owe him nothing and a calm chat should placate him (bring a freind!).

Mike.

yeah. ill have a friend with me alright but im not looking for a confrontation.

Itll cost a minimum of 500 yoyos to get the exgine running again...assuming that the valves have not being damaged. id nearly give him 150 just cos of Karma and morality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I wouldn't to be honest with you. If it was something that went because of your wear and tear on the car or because of maintenence that you neglected to do... then fair enough.

But in this case, you done the timing belt when it was due, you didn't try and hide anything, you got the car NCT'ed. It is just one of these things. It could happen anythime. There is no doubt at all that legally you don't have to give him anything, but I would also say morally, you don't owe him anything either (and I would be fairly soft at the best of times)

Andrewf20 wrote:
    For moral support, refer him to this thread to see what us folks also think.

Morality is a generalisation of whats right & wrong... if the general population thinks it right to tell him to PFO then im ok with doing that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

iknorr wrote:
    yeah on page 12 of this http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf it says its checked. Probably just a visual but id assume they would check if it jumped a cog or two?

This refers to a verbal check with the customer, the reasoning behind it is primarily to ensure that a diesel engine wont blow as its revved to governor speed as part of the smoke test. It’s impractical to physically check the belt during the nct test. See the small print at the bottom of the page you refer to...
    But I agree with the general opinion, bad luck for the new owner.
    "Check with the vehicle owner that the camshaft belt has been changed at the vehicle manufacturers specified interval. Removing the camshaft belt cover is not part of the roadworthiness test."

BnA wrote:
    I wouldn't to be honest with you. If it was something that went because of your wear and tear on the car or because of maintenence that you neglected to do... then fair enough.

But in this case, you done the timing belt when it was due, you didn't try and hide anything, you got the car NCT'ed. It is just one of these things. It could happen anythime. There is no doubt at all that legally you don't have to give him anything, but I would also say morally, you don't owe him anything either (and I would be fairly soft at the best of times)

nice to hear that . Thats the morality part cleared up

DannyBuoy wrote:
    This refers to a verbal check with the customer, the reasoning behind it is primarily to ensure that a diesel engine wont blow as its revved to governor speed as part of the smoke test. It’s impractical to physically check the belt during the nct test. See the small print at the bottom of the page you refer to...
    But I agree with the general opinion, bad luck for the new owner.
    "Check with the vehicle owner that the camshaft belt has been changed at the vehicle manufacturers specified interval. Removing the camshaft belt cover is not part of the roadworthiness test."

i see. but then again it was within its recommended milage. pure bad luck i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

mike65 wrote:
    (bring a freind!).

Mike.

giantEnglishMastiff.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

This happened me, only difference was I had just sold the car to my sister :o
    Damage was €1,500 (inc. damaged valves, etc.) I gave her half though she wouldn't take it. Ended up transferring it into her account!

Same thing again, snapped prematurely although if it had been to Joe Public I probably wouldn't have paid half, but maybe contributed just as a good will gesture. You're not obliged to so it just comes down to what you think will resolve the situation quickly and fairly.

2nd time it happened to that Astra. Apparently they're known for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BnA wrote:
    There is no doubt at all that legally you don't have to give him anything, but I would also say morally, you don't owe him anything either (and I would be fairly soft at the best of times)

Agree. Ring him back to cancel meeting him. Say you're sorry he has been unlucky, but it has nothing to do with you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its bad luck on the new owners part and you are in no way liable, moraly or legally or otherwise !

It is an unfortunate situation for the new owner but he/she has sole responsibility AND you do not know whether the new owner has an aggressive driving style which in many cases leads to premature failure. It has happened where enthusiastic use of a new car has led to similr issues !

Also I would not pay out anything towards the repair as this in itself is accepting some part of the blame. You pay €150 towards an alledged €500 bill and all of a sudden the bill is €2000 and they look for a similar percentage !

Stay away, and DO NOT MEET in person !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you meet the buyer, you will probably be guilted into paying something. Cancel the meeting, as unkel said. It's bad luck on the buyer's part, nothing more.

Did you get the belt fitted by a main dealer? If so, you should investigate whether they would be obliged to take care of the problem. What model/how old is the car? If you are going to try returning to the dealer, you can pretend the car still belongs to you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Sound advice from the last 3 posts here OP. Dont meet, or feel under any obligation. Sh1t happens on a daily basis, and in this case its not your fault.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

C_Breeze wrote:

Note to self: buy used car from C_Breeze in future. :D

Why would you feel obliged to pay for some costs? If the seller hasn't withheld anything and something goes wrong with the car, why would/should he even feel the need to pay towards it?

OP - I agree that you shouldn't meet him. Meeting him will just acknowledge the fact that you want to carry some of the cost of the problem, and that's not right. In fact, if we're bringing ethics and morals into this, I think that guy was well out of order to even contact you about this, and it's something I'd never do to someone.

Explain to him politely that it was a private sale, you told him everything about the car that he asked and you didn't withhold anything. If he gets shirty about it, I'd just explain that he should have gone to a garage (and paid thousands more) if he wanted a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had a similar thread a few months back where I was accused of clocking the car I sold. I told the new owner that it wasn't clocked, and if he wanted to take it to court, to go ahead and do so as a) I hadn't clocked anything, and b) he hadn't a leg to stand on legally as he had inspected, and bought the vehicle privately.

Do the same. Cancel the meeting, and suggest he contact a solicitor. He won't be long learning about his rights, or rather, lack thereof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

I know the Ford Zetec Timing Belt is warrantied to 50-60k miles or some such. Is there any similar arrnagement with your make. Sorry if I missed car make in previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

This thread just proves the difference between real life and virtual life..

I truly wonder how many of the "I would pay, so my soul wouldnt burn in hell brigade" would in fact pay in reality.

Its simple, if you knew it was going to happen then do what you feel is right..

If you didnt know then its simply bad luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Do not meet the buyer - It might look like you are admitting guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would agree with the general idea on here, don't meet with the other party and definately don't pay a penny. If you pay out as a goodwill jesture where will it end then? The next time there is a problem with the car will he expect you to pay towards that too? If he wants a guarantee then he should have bought from a dealer.

"Buyer beware" applies on a private sale, it was his responsibility to have the car inspected properly before agreeing to buy it. Also the NCT is only a test of road worthiness, not a guarantee that the car is in full working mechanical order.

Advertisement