Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about the library...

• 03-10-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

If you use those 'quick loan' machine things (so that you don't have to interact with a person) -- should the loan still show up on your 'My Library' section when you log into the ucd website?

If it does not show up, is it safe to assume that the loan has not been processed?

Is there any way that someone could get from the short loan section (through both security scanner things), with a book that did not process, without the scanners beeping?

Is it morally contemptible, if one were to accidentally escape the library with a book, and the authorities were none the wiser as to the book being taken -- to keep that book? ;)

I'll give you a hypothetical situation: A person goes into the library with the intention of taking a book out on loan. He or she :) uses the quick loan machine to take the book out, and thinking it was successful, walks out of the library. Later on he or she notices that the loan has not appeared on their UCD account, and the next day it is still not there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Peterpocketman

my friend had this exact same thing twice, (he was terrible with bringing books back) they chased one of them up but not the other so looks like its pot luck as it seems some go on there system some dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

In the hypothetical situation that you or anybody escapes the library with a book owned by the library then you are committing the criminal offence of larceny, if you intend to keep it permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Not to mention depriving other students of the use of that book permanently... Sorry, but personally I'd consider that straight up stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

Its a slip up by the system. My advice would be to bring it back within the two day limit as if it DID go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cats-pyjamas

what if it's not showing up on your account but the library still have record of it?

They have debt collectors (seriously) and if you don't pay the fine they can charge you the price of a new book (preferably hardback, as they're more expensive than the paperback versions).

Don't risk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Do the right thing and return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Huh, started this ages ago...

Your goddamn brow-beating worked! The book is back on the shelf. Anyone studying the Kama Sutra no longer has to fear a shortage of copies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've a question.
    Anyone know where I can get the official CSO papers in the library? I've an assignment I need them for. They are supposedly shelved at 'CSO' but I've no idea where that is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Is the library open on Sundays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

armada104 wrote: »

Yes, I consulted that, but I wasn't entirely sure, seeing as the admissions desk isn't open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dewey101

that just means that you have to have your id with you on sundays. no day passess etc available.

Advertisement