Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer MMORPG

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Playboy wrote: »
    haha .. are you thinking of giving up your life again? Ill join you .. lets roll two warhammer versions of mercs :p tbh I really miss DAoC sometimes ... nothing comes close to it. WoW was fun for a while but without the same ppl playing it soon got boring .. and the pvp kinda sucked. Do you think we could convince the rest of them to come back or are we too old now lol?

The DAOC american servers are still good craic, the european servers were, eh, ****e tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Looks like ti's going to be delayed til way into next year.

From Gamespot Article 1:
    GameSpot wrote:
    In a conference call following Electronic Arts' second-quarter earnings report, executives revealed that one of its major games has been delayed yet again. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, the tabletop-inspired massively multiplayer online role-playing game, is now expected in the first half of EA's 2009 fiscal year, which begins on April 1, 2008. The game was previously slated for a March 2008 release, and now could come as late as September of that year.

And more here from GameSpot article 2:
    GameSpot wrote:
    GameSpot: So, Mark. You have an announcement you'd like to discuss.

Mark Jacobs: As announced in my State of the Game address, and also by [EA CEO] John Riccitiello in our earnings call, we are pushing back the release of Warhammer until the first half of EA's 2008 fiscal year, which runs from April to September.

GS: Obviously, the next question is: Why?

MJ: Easy. The short answer would be that it's hard to make this kind of game. Now, for a more detailed answer. It really boils down to this: Our game is going to live and die by two things. One is realm-versus-realm (RvR) gameplay. The second is overall quality. This is not 1999, 1997, or even 2001. This is 2007. We have to be able to release a game that, in terms of quality, without even going into game systems or RvR, is top-notch. We've seen too many games in this industry, and in this space, release without that, and we're not going to do that.

In terms of RvR, the game's motto has always been "war is everywhere," so this game has always been focused on that aspect of gaming. One of the things that we found during beta was that certain aspects of our RvR system weren't everything that we wanted them to be. So we added open-field RvR. We've been looking at certain rulesets for different RvR servers. And that takes time.

The other thing is, and it really encompasses the entire game's development, is what the team's been doing--and doing a tremendous job with, by the way--is meeting all their milestones in terms of the amount of material to add to the game, whether it's content, quests, or systems. What they didn't meet in the milestones was the date. So, they'd get everything in, but it took a little longer, and as it took a little longer, we were faced with two obvious choices: we cut some polish, or we cut some features. And we made the decision, backed by EA, to make sure that all that polish is in there, and all those features are in there. And that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a bit which I had to reread several times, as I couldn't believe my eyes. It's from the WAR newletter:
    Fortunately, we have the resources and support of EA behind us to extend our development cycle; time that will be used to make sure the game is everything we want it to be.
    The bolded bit, is, well, eh, new, to say the least. Anyone who has played any other games such as Battlefield 2, etc, will know of the game coming out first, and then EA will try to fix it. For EA to let the developers to (actually) finish making the game, BEFORE releasing it, is quite amazing, esp for EA.
    As many of you may have heard, we have extended WAR’s development cycle until the 2nd quarter of 2008.
    Which is nice. They seem to plan to open the beta a bit more:
    On the Beta front, we will begin a new phase of testing in December, and we look forward to getting even more people involved in WAR by the end of the year.
    Seemingly nearly half a million beta people. Not too bad.
    We have recently completed the second phase of our closed beta and the servers are currently down

However, the beta will begin again in early December and now is the time to sign up
    /me signs up...

=-=

Oh, and video: http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/media/flash/VotM_Altdorf.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

the_syco wrote: »
    /me signs up...

Haven't we already signed up? Or do we need to sign up again for the new and shinier beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Wow Altdorf looks awesome,

Really looking forward to the beta coming back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Haven't we already signed up? Or do we need to sign up again for the new and shinier beta?

No, you only have to sign up once.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Honestly, if WAR got delayed till September next year, you could be pretty confident and relaxed that when it comes out, it's gonna pwn.

I've played Ultima Online since UOR, which was 99 I think.
    The pvp is still brilliant. The only MMO I havent tried is DAOC, which I hear is still good to play, just dated?

Well if WAR is coming from the people who brought you both games, you'd expect some great elements from both, combined into this one.

It will be the Size of WOW but no carebears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

KoKane wrote: »
    Honestly, if WAR got delayed till September next year, you could be pretty confident and relaxed that when it comes out, it's gonna pwn.

I've played Ultima Online since UOR, which was 99 I think.
    The pvp is still brilliant. The only MMO I havent tried is DAOC, which I hear is still good to play, just dated?

Well if WAR is coming from the people who brought you both games, you'd expect some great elements from both, combined into this one.

It will be the Size of WOW but no carebears.

EA bought UO at its peek and ran it into the ground ;)

Also might be best not to comment on a game you havent played yet as that way you wont be upset when it comes out.

That's correct, EA wanted to take charge of UO's success. So when they took over they wanted to keep the game "up to date" with other MMO's that had been released since UO had been.
    Moronic mentality. You can compare the game then to now and it's two completely different games.
    Tragic loss tbh.

And eh, I'll comment on any game I please, lol.

Perhaps you shouldnt let yourself get into the bad habit of caring too much ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Those of you in the beta, go check the beta forums.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Those of you in the beta, go check the beta forums.

An early christmas present indeed :D

menu_current_betaticker.jpg

:eek:

Only a few months untill scheduled release right?
    Looking at one hell of a launch day.

KoKane wrote: »
    menu_current_betaticker.jpg

:eek:

Only a few months untill scheduled release right?
    Looking at one hell of a launch day.

The official launch was put back to mid 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

So.... I still haven't received my Beta key... I must have typed my email addresses wrong all six times I signed up...

Since its probably the Internet thats broken and I'm unlikely now to get one, does anyone have a beta key they no longer use and would like to lend\Give to me? for a week or two even?

Its in my New Years Resolutions to take more long shots ;)

After this Im actually going to respond to all those lottery emails I seem to keep winning on.

So.... I still haven't received my Beta key... I must have typed my email addresses wrong all six times I signed up...

Since its probably the Internet thats broken and I'm unlikely now to get one, does anyone have a beta key they no longer use and would like to lend\Give to me? for a week or two even?

Its in my New Years Resolutions to take more long shots ;)

After this Im actually going to respond to all those lottery emails I seem to keep winning on.

There aren't any keys to give, it doesn't work that way.

There aren't any keys to give, it doesn't work that way. QUOTE]

Username \ Password?

Are you playing Spear?

There aren't any keys to give, it doesn't work that way. QUOTE]

Username \ Password?

Are you playing Spear?

I am, but other than that I don't get to say much.

No worries, I will continue my quest!

I was so bored over Christmas I spent 3 days playing the "Pirates of the Burning Sea" beta, which was entertaining for a while, with all the Yarrrr's and Pirate songs but lost its charms quickly when I lost three ships in quick succession, lets just say I can talk the pirate talk but can't sail a ship to save my life..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm loving PotBS atm, already pre-ordered and cant wait till 7th for the fun to commence :D

The economy aspect is truly amazing, how you wished EvE would be and after the end of beta event, I can truly say the PvP/Ship combat is better than I ever hoped.

On topic though:
    I am also in Warhammer Beta, that is all :p

I can truly say the PvP/Ship combat is better than I ever hoped.

Glad you are enjoying Ivan, did you play on the final Beta day?

Every one got a Million dbs, instant lvl 50, then we divided up in to Nations\Fractions and all fought each other!! Really good fun.. until two Invincibles joined one of the fights and my three other "Pirate Friends" made a quick get away.. I cant blame them really its the pirate way.

I also really dont get the fact when you join a fight they sometimes start you miles away in dead water with no wind?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Should probably move this to the PotBS thread, but just to reply... Yeah, I played for the last 2 days in the open beta and had mad craic. We were all sitting around on vent, waiting for the servers to come back up after the 1 million dbs, level 50 and free first rate ships :)

When it did, we went and took Turtling Bay from the Brits and put it into contention. Shortly after that the end of beta event started and we all headed to Havana where there was some massive pvp going on as the Pirates apparently screwed up their instructions and instead formed a line around Havana where we eventually ran into them.

Some of the biggest and best PvP I've been involved with, took place there for about 2-3 hours before we moved onto St. Joes and gained some contention points.

The next day, we attacked Turtling Bay 20 spaniards to 4 british in a matter of minutes. 2 Brits surrendered and the other 2 were completely obliterated. We finished up there just in time to accept our invite to St. Joes battle, which was great too at a more even 14 Spaniards to 10 French. We went on to win there too, losing only 2 members and sealing the server for the spanish :D

I really do love the game, I've spent the last few hours/days working with a friend coming up with a production line that cane make us all rich, producing ships.

I honestly dont think I've been this excited about the launch of a game since World of Warcraft :)

I bet you were the ones who tried to Gank me and some pirate friends with your bleedin Invincible!! Estonia something or other, I ended up fighting (I Use the term loosely) 3 of yee and after some feeble /slap /abuse on my part, I went down permenently and lost my ship....

Possibly a thread jack back to the original subject (somewhat), but is it time for WAR sub forum of the multiplayer category?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say its a bit early at the moment. There isnt a huge amount to talk about, as its still a closed Beta with the NDA still enforced. But with time there shall be one.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd say its a bit early at the moment. There isnt a huge amount to talk about, as its still a closed Beta with the NDA still enforced. But with time there shall be one.

There's seems to be plenty of interest though, with some 550,000 beta signups, WAR being supported from Ireland, and the beta ramping up interest will only increase.

WAR being supported from Ireland

.. do you find many Irish people in the beta?

and a War Subforum would be good all right but we wont get much info until they let people break the NDA / Not enforce it.

Still it might be an idea to get some basic info what charactors you can have etc, I haven't been doing any reading up on it yet so Im not sure whats available.

Without breaking the NDA, can you betazoid's tell us anything more about the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

and a War Subforum would be good all right but we wont get much info until they let people break the NDA / Not enforce it.

Still it might be an idea to get some basic info what charactors you can have etc, I haven't been doing any reading up on it yet so Im not sure whats available.

Without breaking the NDA, can you betazoid's tell us anything more about the game?

No, the only thing anyone can reveal is that they are taking part in the beta.

NOTHING else.

I know of a good few already, plus the GOA staff who play as well.

There's quite a bit of info in the public domain. NDA wise we can barely say that we're in it.

No worries so, only a few months to go :)

See you all on the inside!

• Advertisement

No worries so, only a few months to go :)

See you all on the inside!

Invites are still going out regularly, with 6 applications, your odds are better than most.

Advertisement