Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubliners - Joyce

Options
  • 03-10-2007 2:32pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reading this at the moment, loving the short story style. Great for a 15 minute read on the tube heading to work.

I heard people say that they found these stories hard to grasp. I don't see why. This is nothing like Ulysseus.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I actually find Dubliners a lot tougher than Ulysses (well, the first 2/3s of Ulysses I find grand going, needs a lot of concentration after that). I think it's just that the stories are so dense and don't tend to go anywhere in a traditional sense (no real closure or drama in some of them). It's a wonderful collection though, the first Joyce I read which was when I was in secondary school, didn't like it at all then. It was only after I read Ulysses and went back to Dubliners that I really got into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

When I read Dubliners first, I was used to fairly simple short stories so I don't think I got a lot of them. Never got back to it either.

Sounds like a plan, actually.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Really? I'm finding the stores pretty straight forward. About half way through at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

A wonderful collection of stories. I particularly liked "The Dead"- anyone else think that Joyce created the two aunts in the likeness of the Three Graces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I agree Op that 'Dubliners' is far more accessible in one sense than 'Ulysses' and I think the reason that the short stories don't have closure like others is that Joyce was trying to convey Dublin as a city caught in paralysis, I don't have the quote for it right now but its somewhere, but brilliant stories. 'The Dead' is great but I also liked 'Araby'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement