Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air powered cars.....we're sorted folks....

• 03-10-2007 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=D-A3XHFT5qc

There you go.........cars that run on AIR!

Only needs a bit of electricity to compress the air, but this is phenomenal folks!

We should keep our fingers crossed that this doesn't get covered up like most free-energy type inventions!

Woooohooooo!! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not free energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Meh, I prefer the hoverboard.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was going to click on the link, but then I saw who provided it.

Now we definitely know lizard people are involved in the petrol industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

So Glad wrote:
    Only needs a bit of electricity

Thats where they'll get ya :(

I'm all for these ideas btw, up with these sort of things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My name's on their pre-order "I'm interested in buying one" - list for almost two years now.

Needless to say I'm still waiting for any sort of info out of them other than than the automated "we have received your email" response

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Lizard power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So we just need the electricity eh?
    Perhaps we could harness lightning bolts....or maybe cold fusion....no, no, wait I got it....a legion of superfit, cloned monkeys on bicycles with all their little dynamos wired to the national grid.

Take that global warming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A bunch of cylinders under your arse with compressed air at 4500 psi, in a flimsy little lightweight car.

That'd be great fun in a crash.

Anybody see the mythbuster episode where they shot compressed air cyldinders through block walls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

cars currently run on air. All you need is a bit of petrol or diesel and a spark and hey presto!

Actually, you could create the electricity needed to produce the compressed air from sources which don't lend themselves that well to normal, grid bound electricity use.

For example wind power, solar power, tidal power stations, little water driven generators, etc.

Transforming the "alternative energy" straight into stored compressed air instead of into batteries or the grid could prove fairly effective.

A little windmill in your garden doesn't do much good when it comes to powering your cooker or washing machine, but let it slowly fill a tank of compressed air every day or two and all of a sudden you can utilise energy that otherwise would not be harnessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

A bunch of cylinders under your arse with compressed air at 4500 psi, in a flimsy little lightweight car.

That'd be great fun in a crash.

Anybody see the mythbuster episode where they shot compressed air cyldinders through block walls?
    Actually if you watch the clip the cylinders are made of carbon fibre so won't explode, they'll just crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't watch the video right now but I'm assuming this is just an air compressor like allot of factories use to power they're tools. These cars don't really run on air though they run on electricity that's what you must put into them for them to work and you still have the problem of where that electricity comes from. we're already having trouble meeting our electrical needs without adding a couple of million electricity guzzling cars to it.

I don't see electricity as the way forward methane powered cars (along with methane powered everything else) is the way forward because there's a ready supply available that won't ever run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Actually if you watch the clip the cylinders are made of carbon fibre so won't explode, they'll just crack.
    I watched it.

If a compressed air tank 'cracks', enough energy to drive you around for a couple of hundred km will all be released instantaneously...if that's not an explosion, i don't know what is.

I wouldn't want to be sitting on top of one when it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Wertz wrote:
    So we just need the electricity eh?
    Perhaps we could harness lightning bolts....or maybe cold fusion....no, no, wait I got it....a legion of superfit, cloned monkeys on bicycles with all their little dynamos wired to the national grid.

Take that global warming!

You had me at Monkeys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

ScumLord wrote:
    I don't see electricity as the way forward methane powered cars (along with methane powered everything else) is the way forward because there's a ready supply available that won't ever run out.

I kinda agree methane is a pretty good alternative in the short term but you are still left with the problem of producing and harnessing the methane, and the numbers don't work out if you are relying on methane power to produce methane. To take a simple example, ten cows being used to produce biowaste for methane will require far more methane to raise and take care of and then collect the methane in a scaleable way than they will produce. The system wouldn't sustain itself very well....or at least thats what this fella smoking a pipe in the pub told me one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Just walk to the shop for fcks sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

You Suck! wrote:
    Just walk to the shop for fcks sake!

I agree with this man! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I hate when people link to YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm eagerly waiting for the fart powered car, you'll just need to insert the hose into your anus and away you go, a bit like mr garisons invention but gentler on the insert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

This sort of car has been around for donkeys - it's never going to work in that format. A modern car with it's conviences and safety systems is just too heavy. A modified version of it could be good though. If you tied the braking system into a compressor, you could use braking energy to compress gas and then release it to aid acceleration. The weight of a modern car is, again, the main drawback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

slipss wrote:
    I kinda agree methane is a pretty good alternative in the short term but you are still left with the problem of producing and harnessing the methane, and the numbers don't work out if you are relying on methane power to produce methane. To take a simple example, ten cows being used to produce biowaste for methane will require far more methane to raise and take care of and then collect the methane in a scaleable way than they will produce. The system wouldn't sustain itself very well....or at least thats what this fella smoking a pipe in the pub told me one time.
    Just hook the power plant up to the sewage system and put garbage disposal units in evey home. There's enough **** out there to power everything 3 times over I'm sure of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

All it is is a battery powered car. Using compressed air as the battery. Cut out the middle man and just charge a load of Li-Ion batteries instead of doing something retarded like compressing air.

All it is is a battery powered car. Using compressed air as the battery. Cut out the middle man and just charge a load of Li-Ion batteries instead of doing something retarded like compressing air.

Batteries have two major disadvantages ...they're bloomin' heavy and they're very touchy with regards to charge/discharge cycles.

Plus they take a fair bit of energy to make and create a bit of a headache come end of life (which can be fairly quick in some cases)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

peasant wrote:
    Plus they take a fair bit of energy to make and create a bit of a headache come end of life (which can be fairly quick in some cases)

Good point. The fact that they take a lot of natural resources to make doesn't help either. Roll on ultra-capacitors I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ah give it a few years and Steorn will sort us out with all the free energy we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Sean_K wrote:
    Ah give it a few years and Steorn will sort us out with all the free energy we need.
    ya steorn that company with the perpetual motion machine. they put on one demotrastion. theres something wrong with the lighting:confused: and they dont bother to put on another one yes why dont we all depend on them for the car of the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

steorn is a skanger name.
    Hey, Steorn. Gis a bleedin' fag, will ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Oman wrote:
    ya steorn that company with the perpetual motion machine. they put on one demotrastion. theres something wrong with the lighting:confused: and they dont bother to put on another one yes why dont we all depend on them for the car of the future
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

peasant wrote:
    Batteries have two major disadvantages ...they're bloomin' heavy and they're very touchy with regards to charge/discharge cycles.

There are large losses with batteries, regenerative braking means maybe only a third of the energy gets back in to the battery. I'm sure air can do better there.

Also air is a little easier to dispose of enviromentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

regardless of whether or not it's feasible air will never become the main stay. there would be no future in it for the likes of Shell or the other large fossil fuel companies. they will block any move manufacturers make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

hey who knows someone may have made a perpetual motion machine but was hushed up by some government. its a conspirisie i tells ya

Advertisement