Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food delivery guy overcharged me

Options
  • 03-10-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

This happened last weekend. I ordered a chinese delivery from a pamphlet that dropped through the letterbox. When it arrived, the young guy handed me the bag of food, read out a price from the bill and shoved the piece of paper back into his pocket.

Normally, when ordering food to be delivered, the bill is handed to the customer with the food (often taped to the bag). The delivery guy seemed very shifty, so I asked him to show me the piece of paper he'd just stuffed into his pocket.
    "Oh, but I have to take the bill back to the shop", he said.

Internal alarms started ringing at this stage, so I asked him again to show me the piece of paper. He did, and I could see that the price was 50c less than what he was trying to charge me. "Oh my head's just not with it today", he offered as a limp excuse.

I handed him a tenner and made him count out the exact change for me. If he'd been honest he would have been told to keep the change and would have made 20c more than what he was trying to con me out of.

So, would you ring his boss and drop him in it, or let the embarrassment of being caught out be enough of a lesson for him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I think there's a legal requirement that you be given a receipt ...

personally I think I'd drop him in it ...
    I normally tip if the service is good / friendly ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I notice that one of the delivery drivers with Domino's is very slow giving out change, leading me to believe that he's just waiting for you to say "Ah sure just keep it, you're grand."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's probably how they make their wages.
    Can't really believe you can make a living doing deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

biko wrote:
    That's probably how they make their wages.
    Can't really believe you can make a living doing deliveries.

Ah but in fairness it's not like its their full time job. Majority of them are students doing part time work, or foreign nationals probably have another job and thats a bit on the side.

I'll always tip if the service is good. If it's late (due to the driver) then good luck if you're getting a cent from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brinepacer

Hey john cleary, how many delivery drivers do you know? Man, you got some bad attitude. I'll always tip cos it doesn't matter if they're doing ten hours or fifty, it's still a job and if you can afford the price of takeaway, you can spare a euro or two for the poor feckers delivering it.

One thing i will say is that the "what's for dinner" crowd are cowboys, i've ordered off them once or twice and they never have receipts, and they never charge what it should cost. Avoid.

• Advertisement

I thought they have a delivery charge of 5 or 10 eur or something like that ?

brinepacer wrote:
    Hey john cleary, how many delivery drivers do you know? Man, you got some bad attitude. I'll always tip cos it doesn't matter if they're doing ten hours or fifty, it's still a job and if you can afford the price of takeaway, you can spare a euro or two for the poor feckers delivering it.

One thing i will say is that the "what's for dinner" crowd are cowboys, i've ordered off them once or twice and they never have receipts, and they never charge what it should cost. Avoid.

If I am happy with the service of a delivery driver and I feel like they've done their job well, i'll tip them. If i'm not happy with the service, I won't tip them. Simple as

Dude, the service of a delivery driver is to hand you food. They're not waiters. It's pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Thanks for the replies guys, although I was hoping for more input on whether you guys would drop the offending delivery guy in it with his boss or give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Chinese take-away in question have a delivery charge of €2.50. I would imagine that a fair proportion of which goes to the delivery driver's wages.

I have no problems tipping delivery guys if they're amiable and honest, but this fecker was shifty and dishonest, and, frankly, I wouldn't give him the steam of my pi$$.

From what I've seen of delivery jobs advertised, drivers typically have to use their own motors. This driver was very young, and in all likelihood is paying high insurance for his micra. If delivering take-aways is his only job, I could understand that it's hard to make ends meet and pay high insurance premiums - but conning every customer out of 50c (unless of course, I was the first he'd tried to con) isn't going to help him in the long run.

brinepacer wrote:
    Dude, the service of a delivery driver is to hand you food. They're not waiters. It's pretty straightforward.

And they get paid to do so by their employer. Since when do people need tips for doing their job? :confused: My job requires that I provide a service and I make sure my clients are happy before I finish... Do I deserve a tip?

• Advertisement

In fairness if he can afford a car and insurance i'm sure he's not all that stuck for money. He hardly just bought the car so he could become a delivery boy
    Tzetze wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys, although I was hoping for more input on whether you guys would drop the offending delivery guy in it with his boss or give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Chinese take-away in question have a delivery charge of €2.50. I would imagine that a fair proportion of which goes to the delivery driver's wages.

I have no problems tipping delivery guys if they're amiable and honest, but this fecker was shifty and dishonest, and, frankly, I wouldn't give him the steam of my pi$$.

From what I've seen of delivery jobs advertised, drivers typically have to use their own motors. This driver was very young, and in all likelihood is paying high insurance for his micra. If delivering take-aways is his only job, I could understand that it's hard to make ends meet and pay high insurance premiums - but conning every customer out of 50c (unless of course, I was the first he'd tried to con) isn't going to help him in the long run.

Ah cleary, i dunno why i even bother talking to you, every time i see a post on this board that's off form, it's inevitably got your name next to it, why should this thread be any different. Of course, people don't deserve tips, what was i thinking :rolleyes:

brinepacer wrote:
    Ah cleary, i dunno why i even bother talking to you, every time i see a post on this board that's off form, it's inevitably got your name next to it, why should this thread be any different. Of course, people don't deserve tips, what was i thinking :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, sure let's just go and tip every delivery driver that tries to steal from us so that'll make more sense :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

forbairt wrote:
    I thought they have a delivery charge of 5 or 10 eur or something like that ?

When I did deliveries a couple of years ago, it was €1.00 per hour and €2.00 per drop. Sounds sh1t, but you could still make €90.00 a night.

JohnCleary wrote:
    In fairness if he can afford a car and insurance i'm sure he's not all that stuck for money. He hardly just bought the car so he could become a delivery boy

He's probably a delivery boy to pay for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was going to tip the four star pizza delivery guy but the look he gave me when I had to go find a 20 because he wouldn't take a 50 was just rude. I mean, I only went across the room!!

I would definitely call the place and complain. Call them and complain about their 'policy' to keep the receipt. When the manager says they have no such policy, say you were told they did. While the manager tries to defend the place, slip in the whole overcharging thing. The manager will be so into defending himself/the restaurant that the delivery guy will more than likely get the bollicking he deserves. I know it's only 50cent but it's dishonest and this guy probably tries to overcharge everyone.

I make a point of asking how much it will cost when I order it. Probably because I was on takeaway in a chinese and had to deal with so many people trying to find money to pay because they hadn't figured out how much they'd need.

And while we're on the topic of Chinese, anyone know of a nice chinese that delivers?? I know some places are dodgy so I'd like to get some opinions. I'm in the Rahoon area.

And OP, ring up, and let us know how you got on!!

And while we're on the topic of Chinese, anyone know of a nice chinese that delivers?? I know some places are dodgy so I'd like to get some opinions. I'm in the Rahoon area.

I used eat in the Golden Rickshaw a hell of a lot ... but the last while I found it wasn't the greatest ... (its the place on Mary Street)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Curry House, down Cooke's corner.
    We used have the same order, four of us, and we'd order at least once every ten days during the summer. After the second time we ordered, they started throwing in free beer, and the prawn crackers are always free. Good business, I'll always go to them. And they're damn fast about it too. The quickest time it took them, phone to knock on the dor was fifteen minutes, Cooke's corner to out past Corrib Village.

I was going to tip the four star pizza delivery guy but the look he gave me when I had to go find a 20 because he wouldn't take a 50 was just rude. I mean, I only went across the room!!
    !!

If you read the menu you'll see it states drivers carry under €20.00. Why then would you offer a fifty, when you had a twenty, for a small order? He got p1ssed because he has other deliveries and you are delaying him, leading to grief from other customers later on (there are other customers, you know).

nipplenuts wrote:
    If you read the menu you'll see it states drivers carry under €20.00. Why then would you offer a fifty, when you had a twenty, for a small order? He got p1ssed because he has other deliveries and you are delaying him, leading to grief from other customers later on (there are other customers, you know).

1. I did read the menu afterwards an noticed the tiny saying he carrys under 20, but as I said, it was tiny.

2. I didn't have a 20 myself, I had to ask my housemate, who I barely know.

3. Yes, he had other deliveries, but seeing as he arrived 15 minutes before they told me he would I can only assume that he was early for his other deliveries.

4. I am a customer. You never ever treat the customer like that. I put up with grief from customers when I worked in M+S and a chinese and I never ever looked at a customer like that. And I wasn't even giving him grief, I was just getting money to pay him.

So what have we learned folks? Some delivery guys need to get customer service training?? Perhaps. Or maybe that boardsies need to seek further information before attacking other posters?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If it was close to a tenner, you'd ordered from a menu that had prices on it, and so had a good idea of how much it would cost (plus delivery charge), then I'd give them the tenner, take the food and leave the shrapnel.

SyxPak wrote:
    If it was close to a tenner, you'd ordered from a menu that had prices on it, and so had a good idea of how much it would cost (plus delivery charge), then I'd give them the tenner, take the food and leave the shrapnel.

I would too ... but I think the point is .. he was charging more automagically ...

as to Janey ... I thought its common knowledge that drivers don't really carry that much change ?

forbairt wrote:
    as to Janey ... I thought its common knowledge that drivers don't really carry that much change ?

Papa John's does. He had enough change to give me change from 100 euro. (I didn't give him 100!!) My local place in Cork does. And I ordered from Four Star before and he was able to give me over 30 euro change. (Although I now know that this is not the usual procedure) I don't care anymore, I can't afford pizza anymore. (And it really really isn't worth what we're willing to pay for it!!)

Papa John's does. He had enough change to give me change from 100 euro. (I didn't give him 100!!) My local place in Cork does. And I ordered from Four Star before and he was able to give me over 30 euro change. (Although I now know that this is not the usual procedure) I don't care anymore, I can't afford pizza anymore. (And it really really isn't worth what we're willing to pay for it!!)

I rarely order food ...

I think the amount of money the driver has on them is dependant on how many deliverys they have done as well ... if they have a float of 20quid .. and you're their first customer .. thats all they'll have ... after delivering to you they'll have 40~ and so on ...

2 Pizzas and a garlic bread from tesco ... 6 quid ..
    1 pizza from dominos ... 14 ? ... I know its not teh same ... but its how I think a lot of the time ...

forbairt wrote:
    2 Pizzas and a garlic bread from tesco ... 6 quid ..
    1 pizza from dominos ... 14 ? ... I know its not teh same ... but its how I think a lot of the time ...

I totally agree. In fact, it's even cheaper to make the pizza yourself. (But I suppose the time involved kinda defeats the purpose) The one thing I definitely have to order in is Chinese, nothing in a supermarket comes close.

And I suppose it does depend on how many deliveries the person has done, but Papa Johns print on the receipt change from 20, 50 and 100 so the delivery person gets it right (But the pizza they do is rotten!!)

1 maybe that boardsies need to seek further information before attacking other posters?? :rolleyes:

Do you regard that as an attack? You must have a gentle life :)

Originally Posted by nipplenuts

I totally agree. In fact, it's even cheaper to make the pizza yourself. (But I suppose the time involved kinda defeats the purpose) The one thing I definitely have to order in is Chinese, nothing in a supermarket comes close.

The wagamama cook book has some great recipes ... doesn't take that long to make most of them ... not exactly chinese .. but they are quite simple to make ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

SyxPak wrote:

Same here SyxPak. Usually. But when you get alarm bells ringing that this shifty looking fupper is creamin more than tips, he can count (pluck) out every last piece of shrapnel.
    JaneyBabe wrote:
    I would definitely call the place and complain. Call them and complain about their 'policy' to keep the receipt. When the manager says they have no such policy, say you were told they did. While the manager tries to defend the place, slip in the whole overcharging thing. The manager will be so into defending himself/the restaurant that the delivery guy will more than likely get the bollicking he deserves. I know it's only 50cent but it's dishonest and this guy probably tries to overcharge everyone....And OP, ring up, and let us know how you got on!!

You seem like the experienced tactician Janey... armchair war general? ;)

I rang them today, and although I didn't get speaking to the manager, I did explain the events to the girl on the telephone. I imagine in a family run business (as these tend to be), and by the surprised tone in her voice, it'll be relayed to the boss and dealt with.

I still wouldn't mind having a chat with the manager about it though. I'm not going to name and shame the place, but whereabouts is Plunkett Avenue anyway? :P
    forbairt wrote:
    The wagamama cook book has some great recipes ... doesn't take that long to make most of them ... not exactly chinese .. but they are quite simple to make ...

Thanks, I'll check out this wagamacallit!

Tzetze wrote:
    You seem like the experienced tactician Janey... armchair war general? ;)

Tee hee, indeed!! No I just recently realised that Irish people are crap at complaining and I'm not going to sit back and be the same. (Although I really wouldn't bother complaining over something minor.)

forbairt wrote:

Ya, I love Wagamama so I'll definitely check that out. Good thing I'm not living at home anymore 'cos my Dad would have a heart attack if I brought home another cook book. (Pushing 100 at this stage!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Wait...

Is this thread really about some guy attempting to overcharge you 50c.

50c :eek:

And you're so outraged you're considering reporting it to the manager.

And then you made him hand over the vast sum he was attempting to over charge:rolleyes:

Good lord! I've just noticed you did go ahead and take it further. And then you were still so wound about it you posted on the forum to air it further.
    Over reaction maybe? I guess no-one messes with you then;)

This is not personal in anyway but just reading it I did think my god get over it.
    Look surely complain where its warranted but it seems you've wasted a lot of effort and time and gotten very worked up over something very minor. Get some persepective.

Surely you knew how much it was likely to be. You handed a tenner, the change was not likely to be vast anyway. And you still demanded the bill etc.

Looking at it purely objectively would you agree it sounds awful tight.

Advertisement