Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Routers & Custom Services

Options
  • 03-10-2007 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I want to to be able to telnet in to a linux box from external
    sources through my router on a specific port.
    I'm trying to set this up but I'm not having any success.

The netopia (not sure what model as Im in work atm) lists
    the devices on the lan by hostname. Thats what I see on the netopia's web interface.
    When I host a serivce on a windows machine its seems to be alright. When I set up a session to the linux system it doesn't seem to get through.

I cannot ping the linux box by the hostname so I'm not sure if the
    netopia is redirecting the traffic based on hostname and not ip
    address. Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone else successfully
    done what I am attempting to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Sounds like the Netopia is trying to use SMB to identify machines. This won't work by default on a linux system, you'd need to use something like samba to give it an SMB name. Are you sure the router won't let you specify an internal host by IP? This would be easier.

BTW, using telnet over a public network is dumb. I'd recommend setting up an SSH server instead (ideally on a non-standard port; SSH daemons aren't perfect either).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I found this funny:

Originally Posted by davej
    my ssid had been renamed to "Free Wi-fi"

someone changed my ssid
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055158443

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

LOL BOFH...very funny.

Its not actually for telnet, its for a custom application, I just went to testing with telnet as it was a troubleshooting approach and easier to explain.

>>Are you sure the router won't let you specify an internal host by IP?
    From what I can see on netopia interface...no.

Thx for the reply. Im not too up on linux so I will have a look as see what I can do with samba.

Advertisement