Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trouble Wiring In New Yaris Headunit, Lot Of Pictures, Please Help!

Options
  • 03-10-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I finally got all the parts and pieces to change my double DIN Kenwood unit (that was in the Yaris when I imported from Japan) into a better single DIN unit.

I managed to take apart the dash and take out the existing unit without much difficulty.

The problem is that the wiring adaptor going into the back of the current headunit seems completely incompatible with the new Sony unit I bought.

Here's the current setup, all the wiring goes in to the Kenwood unit here:

33p4t39.jpg

Here's a close up of the current adaptor:

v4o5uf.jpg

And the input on the Kenwood unit:

dlnm1g.jpg

Now the problem is that this is nothing like what is on my new Sony Unit:

Here is the input on the back of the Sony unit:

zjcbdl.jpg

It comes with an adaptor that looks like this:

30sy9fq.jpg

One end goes into the back of the unit, the other two ends look like this:

20sia9.jpg

Now I have no idea how to connect up the old adaptor to the new unit.

I do not have the skill or expertise required to go re-wiring this setup, is there some kind of adaptor I can get to convert from the current input to the Kenwood unit to the new Sony one?

If so what is it called and where can I get it?

Please let me know, my Yaris is sitting in the driveway in a dismantled state and I'd like to get the new unit put in as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Robert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Follow the loom that currently plugs into the back of the kenwood unit. You will find another connector where the loom (wiring) splits. Take this off and then go get an adapter loom for a Yaris such as Halfords, Any motor factors......etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes it looks like there is already an ISO -> Kenwood adaptor in place, if you remove this you will be left with an ISO connection(2 blocks of 8pins) which should connect directly into your ISO -> Sony adaptor (I hope that makes sense) As Healy said, follow the current wire back and you will probably see the adaptor which should be disconnected allowing the Sony adaptor to be used in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for the reply,

I found one toyota connector:

5k4tq1.jpg

I believe the adaptor you speak of would allow this to plug into one of the Sony ISO connections.

The problem is there is not another one, the speaker wires are wired directly into the adaptor going into the Kenwood unit so I think some kind of chopping will be required.

If I were to cut all the wires going into the Kenwood unit as shown here:

fdygxk.jpg

And using connector blocks match them up with the wires going into the Sony unit here:

11ad0y0.jpg

Would it work fine?

Please let me know

Just one more thing, what is the big black cable coming out of the current unit?:

2dvpe9z.jpg

I cannot remove it and do not know what it is.

Do I need to attach it to the Sony unit? How would I do this?

Thanks,
    Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the big one looks like an aeriel?

toyotawiringgj5.jpg

I think if you go back to the toyota loom you should find these wires.

I used this diagram to wire a SOny unit into a jap model Corolla a few months ago and the wire colours were correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You can buy connectors in Halfords. Problem solved...

• Advertisement

assuming the original Toyota loom hasn't been spliced then an adaptor can be used.

Bluefoam wrote:
    You can buy connectors in Halfords. Problem solved...
    Looks to me like somebody didn't bother buying an adaptor in the first place and just cut off the ISO connector and joined the wires to the Kenwood connection. Using adaptors only, you will need a Kenwood -> ISO adaptor and you already have an ISO->Sony adaptor so you'll be sorted then.

I wouldn't advise cutting the wires going into the Kenwood block as then you are going to have the wires being cut in 2 places (as they've already been cut from the ISO block) and you will start to lose sound quality.

I don't think Vitz models have ISO connectors, they have Toyota domestic model specific plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

bring the old radio and the the new one to halfords or if you tell me where you are i might know somewhere that would be better to go and show them the connection you want to go from and too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Its was definitly pre-chopped

Is there an aftermarket amp or sub in your car by any chance?

If you have some time on your hands then hardwire it,just match coloured wire for coloured wire,they should both be the same,if possible solder your connections or at the least use crimp connections not the little orange scotchlocks that you can see in the 7th picture down

Thanks for all the replies.

The Kenwood unit is aftermarket and while one loom remains as shown in the 7th image, the other one (with the 4 speaker wires) has been spliced and goes directly into the Kenwood connection shown in the first image. Thus a Toyota to ISO adaptor will not work, or it will but only for half of the wires.

The problem with getting an ISO to Kenwood adaptor and then going from ISO to Sony is that the adaptors are all sockets on the Kenwood end (to plug into a Kenwood unit). I'd need to get one that is Kenwood plug on one end, such a lead does not exist as far as I can see.

So it seems the only option is to hardwire it cutting the wires going into the Kenwood adaptor and attaching them to the ones going into the Sony unit. I would be able to do this using small connector blocks but someone says this is going to affect sound quality a lot?

Have no idea how to use crimp connections, are these the ones currently being used by the Sony adaptor? Can the plastic block that the wires run into be opened. Where do I get wire crimpers and the small crimps for the top of the wire? Would this be a lot easier than connector blocks? (I can do those)

Thanks again for all the continued help.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

where do you live or work there is a place on the naas road called autotech and they do alot of radios and auto elecs they have books of all different iso clocks if you rang or called up to them with both radios they should sort you out alot cheaper then halfords

You put the bare wire in each end then crimp it (a pliers and strong grip will do it too) but if you have a soldering iorn and some heatshrink it'l be a neater cleaner job that wont loose contact or quality once the soldering isnt crap.

You cant open the block but you can pull the connections from it.

I would be slightly worried of the 4 extra speaker wires that are tapped in,are there additional speakers added in the doors or rear shelf or are the taps just extended cable?

A kenwood to ISO conector will only fit into your headunit and not into another Kenwood lead. both plugs will be identical.

There are an additional 2 speakers added to the rear shelf. I am planning on swapping these for 6x9s I bought and making a new MDF parcel shelf as the old one rattles a lot due to heavy speakers.

There must also be some kind of power supply going to these rear speakers as they light up when the headlights are on.

I got a Toyota to ISO adaptor this evening in Halfords

My plan is to connect all the wires in the loom to the sony unit via this adaptor, then hard wire the speakers.

Should I take this on myself (Is there that can go wrong?) or get the local car audio shop to do it?

Thanks for all the ongoing help.

I'd say give it a go yourself!

If only for the entertainment value ;) the speakers are pretty much risk free, they'll either work or not. If you look at the leads plugged into the speakers you'll see what colour wires go to each speaker. ISO colour codes are easily found on the net.

I'd imagine the lights on the speakers are hooked into one of the rear light clusters. should be easy enough to trace the power cable to wherever it's going.

Ok then I'll have a crack at it.

Can someone tell me what the bullet shaped coloured connectors that plug into each other in this picture are called?

5k4tq1.jpg

Seeing as they are already there I might as well attach up the other end of the wires using the same attachments, it will half my work.

Are they difficult to attach/remove? Can I get them in Maplins?

Thanks

hard to tell what those 2 wires do from the pic, best thing to do is unplug them and see what happens,

It seems they are indeed called bullet connectors, I can't find them on Maplins website, surely they would sell them?

Are they standard sizes, the ones in my photo look bigger than the ones on the Sony adaptor?

• Advertisement

Thanks, it seems they are indeed called bullet connectors, but I can't find them on Maplins website, surely they would sell them?

Are they standard sizes, the ones in my photo look bigger than the ones on the Sony adaptor?

the ones on the Sony adaptor are there so that the power cables can be swapped to suit different cars that have the permanent and ignition live reversed.

A motorfactors *should* have bullet connectors instock,they'l probably be in the form of a pack of varios types of connections.

If you have an additional 2 speakers running in series with another set you risk overloading the headunit.Ie if your headunit is already running4 speakers and there's an additonal 2 just tapped in it could lead to problems but moe than likely the biggest will be an actual drop in sound quality as opposed to running 4.

I suspect the Vitz only has 2 speakers as standard, a lot of JDM cars are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

If you don't know what you are doing do not cut any wires. If you wire it wrong you may blow fuses or the stereo you bought
    ISO adaptors are expensive, the Sony bullet connector in Halfords is €40. For that money you would be better off taking it to a professioal and getting a proper job done.

the power cables are not cut, he'll only be messing with the speaker wires.

An auto electrician or someone competent/confident with wiring could install the stereo without needing any adaptors. Depends on how brave you are, blobert!

Advertisement