Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggestions to dry out waterlogged car?

Options
  • 03-10-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

So I parked the girlfriend's car in the driveway last night and managed to leave the passenger window open, d'oh. Stupid thing to do from a security point of view, on top of that did you see the rain this morning?!! Double d'oh.

The whole passenger area is completely water logged, especially the upholstery. I'm under instructions to sort it out when I get home from work - any suggestions? Currently plan to mop up as much as I can with towels, then maybe take it out for a spin on the m50 with the windows open

Suggestions welcome, I was hoping to live a few more years :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Its best to takle the seat out completely, usually only a 5 minute job, about 4 bolts !

You should lift the carpet and mop up ans squeeze the underlay. This can hold a lot of water against the metal for a long time and lead to musty smells.

An easier alternative would be to bring it to a car valeter and get them to use their vacuum/vacs machine on it, but that may cost you a few bob !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Hire a dehumidifier, connect it up, lock the car with it in overnight. Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Thanks for the suggestions guys, think I'm going to have to go with a valet though.

Got a quote from one guy to do all seats for 40 euro, he's a bit out of my way though. Anybody know of a valet service based out Rathfarnham direction?

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

There used to be a crowd in behind the Esso station on the Knocklyon Rd (opposite Coolamber est).

Also I think there is one beside the Gala supermarket on Stepaside cross

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There is a place in the new Dundrum shopping centre car park. No idea of cost but they make you pay for parking aswell as the valet:eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys. I've arranged that guy (Robbie Marsh Car Valeting) to come over and sort it out for 55 euro, I'll let you know how it goes... if anyone's interested :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lots of newspapers / kitchen roll to soak up the water from floor

when driving for the next week have the heat on full and make sure the vents are set to not re circulate the air to get the last of it out

anyone know if the air con would help or not by drying the air ?

Had the car valeted last night, and now of course *all* of the seats are wet, despite the guy saying it'd only take an hour to dry off. Me arse. So I'm still the worst in the world, I give up :(

Thanks for the advice Capt'n, will tell her to do that. Don't have aircon so can't comment on that.

LOL, having just re-read my previous post, I bet this thread gets bumped to PI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Go get a dehumidifier as ned suggested, it will take days to dry out esp this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Turn it upside down and tap on the base of it :D:D

Nah seriously though, if you can get yourself some Silca Gel, the packs that come with shoes, runners and things. They absorb moisture fairly quickly. If you can get a huge pack of it, throw it down. Hoover it up and hopefully it will help. Personally Ive a few packs of the stuff in the car to soak up most moisture if any does get in. Have a pack under each chair, in each of the doors and some around the spare tyre. They're tiny little packs, but it seems to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

MercMad wrote:
    Its best to takle the seat out completely, usually only a 5 minute job, about 4 bolts !

BEWARE OF AIRBAGS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

A domestic Dehumidifier will collect around 10 litrres of water per day ( over 2 gallons) . As ned said using one overnight should have sorted the problem!

Ta, will pursue the dehumidifier route if it's still wet today.

The only dehumidifiers I've seen so far (on Sam Hire etc) are big things for drying out rooms - i.e. wouldn't fit inside a car. Are there smaller, portable ones for rent that anyone knows of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

fullerand wrote:
    Ta, will pursue the dehumidifier route if it's still wet today.

The only dehumidifiers I've seen so far (on Sam Hire etc) are big things for drying out rooms - i.e. wouldn't fit inside a car. Are there smaller, portable ones for rent that anyone knows of?

Buy one from Argos, and leave it back the next day with their quibble free guarantee.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

wet-paint wrote:
    Buy one from Argos, and leave it back the next day with their quibble free guarantee.

ROFL! :D

Advertisement