Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "How the enemy are getting on" thread

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Jesus, I was only chatting to the captain of SS after the game last week and he said, "our only chance to win it is if we beat Eddie Rocket 10-0". They must not have had 11 players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Fred West Ham 3 1 Dunbar Pensioners

A win that was nowhere near as comfortable as the scoreline suggests sees Fred West Ham crowned league champions. Starting nervously and surviving a goal line clearance as well as some suspect goalkeeping they broke away with about 15 minutes on the clock, a pulled back cross (on a slippery and dangerous pitch which saw two players carried off and unable to continue) was somehow missed by the right back leaving the left midfielder free to drive home at the far post for 1-0. The pitch combined with some "interesting" refreeeing that saw 4 different players sin-binned and a host of abuse and derision aimed at the referee threatened to ruin the occasion, and both sets of players were a little rattled throughout.

5 minutes later a soft free kick was conceded around 35 yards out and 10 yards in from the left touchline. Half-driven, half floated the keeper was unable to keep it out of the top corner for 2-0. Dunbar pressed again and almost got their reward when a glanced header from a corner was cleared on the line and a spot of box pinball resulted in nothing but a goal kick.

Another free kick conceded with 5 minutes left in the first half was again driven into the far post, the goalkeeper tried to come through the centre half and forward to get the ball but could only help divert it into the net for 3-0.

In the 2nd half the pressure was nearly all based in Fred West Hams half, an early goal giving Dunbar the impetus to get back into the game. Once again, pressure couldn't be converted into goals as chances were missed, the keeper and defenders benefiting from some lucky bounces, and the woodwork as the post came to the rescue.

Over the course of the season I can honestly say that Dunbar had more than their share of luck, and had a couple of results where it could have gone the other way. So I won't complain about the bad luck tonight, decisions that should have gone our way or the fact that on another night we would have won 6-3. Instead I'll congratulate Fred West Ham on their victory, the best team over 18 games can't be argued with. Really enjoyed the season, and I think for the most part the games were played in the right manner and with the right attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Didn't see that coming at all :eek:

Hard luck mate. Think Fred West deserved it in the end though. They never slipped up against the minor opposition and attacking wise were the best team we came up against. You gonna be in our division next year?

Yeah I think they were probably the best team over the course of the season, as I said we rode our luck quite a bit although we were very strong defensively with only one real exception!

Not sure what the plan is for next year, I think a few of us are calling it a day at this stage. not sure the keeper is planning on playing again, and myself and the other centre half are probably in the same boat right now. I'm sure they'll get a team together, just not sure what league or who will be running it.

• Advertisement

Alright. Well good luck if you do enter a league. And if its ours I rescind that offer of good luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i actually felt ye were the best team in it gary, over the 2 games, ye were the only team to beat us "properly". sure, we hammered fred west ham off the field one , they got a late goal to make it 4-2, but really we could have beaten then 6 or 7..ss rovers, beat us twice, but we were 3-1 up against them in the first game and should have finished them off but fell asleep.

u going signing for us ya?? or u inclded in the "calling it a day brigade!"???

Fred West never slipped up against one of the weak teams whereas Dunbar did. Plus I thought Fred West offered more in attack than Dunbar. Best player in the league I thought was the little ginger fella for Fred West. Quality striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hard luck Gary, thought you's should have won it. I've always felt that if we hadn't played Fred West in the first game of the season we would've at least gotten the draw we still came close to getting though we were rusty and they were clearly match fit. And we were all over them when we beat them in the 2nd game. Can't say the same about Dunbar - they may be more of a solid team than a creative one, but even at our best this season (which we weren't when we played yous), it's hard to argue that we would dominate.

I feel Dunbar were the most difficult team to play against that's why I gave them the nod.

Yeh, now that you say it, that ginger up front for FWH was a quality player, but the shaved head number 15 that played centre mid for Dunbar against us was for me the best player in the league cos he truly dominated the game.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Best player in the league I thought was the little ginger fella for Fred West. Quality striker

kept him shut out twice ;)

good movement but never had a clear chance in either of the games against us. Eamonn (our no. 15) is miles ahead of him I think, but then I see Eamonn play every week and he's consistently good, whereas all I've seen of the guy for Fred West was the two games against us where as I say we kept him quiet.

Still he didn't need to score for them to win the game, so I guess he has the final laugh!

Fred West got a walkover against Eddie Rockets, we got beaten playing with half a team, but it wouldn't have mattered in the final run-in. Our problem all season was scoring goals, if we had taken even half our chances then we would have been going into last night knowing that a draw would be enough. We should have beaten them the first time we played them as well, hit the post twice and one of our strikers missed an open net from 6 yards.

As I said last night, you can't argue with the team that has the most points over 18 games, they were obviously the best team over the course of the league and fully deserved to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that eamon for dunbar lad was streets ahead of any of the player in the league, end of story. the red haired lad doesnt even come close to him. he got 2 goals against us in the first game, but did nothing else in the second game. infact, fred west hams best player was that lad with the left leg on the wing, he distroyed us the first day, totally distroyed us and was at the center of everything. that johnnie lad upfront for ss rovers was quite good and there were some decent players on each team. would be hard to pick the best 11 in the league.

Advertisement