Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snet.wit.ie

Options
  • 03-10-2007 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Is the site down, Do I have the wrong address? I remember there used to be a forum along the lines of this name.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

From what im told it was taken of the admin for using it to download stuff.

I joined the club and was going to help out but its a dead duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

What was it? Just the Computing society's website? Its a real shame its not around.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya thats all. There wasnt very much on it in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Sully you should know better then to spread rumours like that.

One of the students accounts was compromised and on the 12th of September, the server was physically pulled from the network. Nothing at all to do with me, I wasn't even aware that it had happened. I logged in usually every week or every two weeks to update the server software. I found out by pure chance two days later when I was talking to the IT manager about something. This isnt the first time SNET has been pulled from the network either.

I have considered cutting my losses and disbanding the society altogether, but before I go down that road.. I have a few things I plan to discuss with the students union to see if there is any hope of recovery. I will be meeting them sometime next week, so I will see what can be done, in the mean time.. I will be trying to arrange a meeting to see if I can get this mess sorted.

Sully, we both just didnt have time to do all this work ourselves.. students are needed to make thinks work.. and there just wasnt the interest.. rather surprising from a college full of computer students. But.. I have not given up completly, I will be speaking to the SU as well as C&S and I will see what can be done.

In the mean time, why dont you fine people do something constructive, and post suggestions as to what I can do.. and what you would like SNET to do.. how can we get more people interested.. what can we provide to intice students to make use of the resources etc.. ideas are, as always, welcome.

Well, your the one who told a few people you were downloading music and stuff and thats why it got comprimised. Hence, being pulled. Iv had two people say the same story to me, saying you told them! :P

• Advertisement

Sully wrote:
    Well, your the one who told a few people you were downloading music and stuff and thats why it got comprimised. Hence, being pulled. Iv had two people say the same story to me, saying you told them! :P
    Have you got proof to back this accusation up, because it is quiet serious to accuse me, or another, of using SNET for illegal purposes.

Now instead of posting untruths, try posting a constructive suggestion that would benefit me and SNET instead of these lies, or kindly *** off.

Edit: Double Post

That is an outright lie Sully, it doesnt matter who told you, it is an unfounded accusation that I strongly contest, now post a constructive suggestion that would benefit me and SNET instead of these lies, or kindly *** off.

Relax Dave, there is no need to start calling me on the phone and saying your going to "bring me to the courts". You told two people that SNET got compromised as a result of you downloading music onto the server. All I did was repeat it, and your not doing the best of jobs denying it.

You, as far as I recall, are the only one with the codes to access the SNET machine.

Fair enough, if you deny it - you deny it. I'm not saying its true or false, im just repeating what two people said you told them.

EDIT: Nice post revision Dave:)

Kevin, I take *any* accusations like that quite seriously, I dont like people spreading untruths about me, and that is just what you are doing here, I was, understandably, quite annoyed, and I get snappy.

I never did anything like that, I never downloaded anything illegal, nor did I ever use SNET for that purpose, and I certainly didnt tell people that I did. I am not the only one with "codes" to access the server, everyone who registered, including you, had an active account. The only difference is, I also had root access, along with some staff at Computer Services.

In fairness, the access permission on the accounts people get are nothing compared to root. I doubt Computer Services would bother with your server.

Anyway, I cant say for sure if the accusations are true. I'm not accusing you, im saying what I was told. I'm not going to comment about what's true or false. Iv asked two people since your threatening phone call, and both are holding to their story - and claim another person can back them up.

Take it up with the lads in CCNA, and not me. Next time, if your going to call me, talk to me civilly. Snappy, rude and threatening phone calls are not appreciated and I wouldn't think highly of any such person.

Thank You.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote:
    In fairness, the access permission on the accounts people get are nothing compared to root. I doubt Computer Services would bother with your server.
    Sully wrote:
    Anyway, I cant say for sure if the accusations are true. I'm not accusing you, im saying what I was told. I'm not going to comment about what's true or false. Iv asked two people since your threatening phone call, and both are holding to their story - and claim another person can back them up.
    Let them hold to their storey, but I wont be blamed for something that I did not do.
    Sully wrote:
    Take it up with the lads in CCNA, and not me. Next time, if your going to call me, talk to me civilly. Snappy, rude and threatening phone calls are not appreciated and I wouldn't think highly of any such person.

Thank You.
    I intend to. And next time I call you, dont deny who you are when asked and I will be polite and civil.

Let them hold to their storey, but I wont be blamed for something that I did not do.

I intend to. And next time I call you, dont deny who you are when asked and I will be polite and civil.

Ah well, I don't know what's going on but iv spoken to the people who made the claims and there standing by them. Id advise you take it up with them. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

bush_internets.jpg

LOL @ Murderer.

Thanks for letting us know whats going on rogue-entity. It would be great if you could give getting snet back up and running another go. I was not a WIT student when I went to it last so I did not really look at it that much, so I can't help you with suggestions on what to change cause I don't know what it was like in the first place. Maybe you did not advertise it enough. Its strange that you were not getting much activitty cause the WIT kayaking forums are quite active for such a small group of people. If there is anything I can do to help you with the site don't be afraid Rogue, i'd be only too glad to help :) .

<-- also LOL's @ Murderer
    Thanks for letting us know whats going on rogue-entity. It would be great if you could give getting snet back up and running another go.

I was not a WIT student when I went to it last so I did not really look at it that much, so I can't help you with suggestions on what to change cause I don't know what it was like in the first place. Maybe you did not advertise it enough.

Its strange that you were not getting much activity cause the WIT kayaking forums are quite active for such a small group of people.

If there is anything I can do to help you with the site don't be afraid Rogue, i'd be only too glad to help :) .
    The issue has to be resolved before SNET will be allowed back onto the network. I am thinking of starting over, and starting small.

All SNET was, was a student-run server for webhosting and email, with access to the Shell that allowed students to write and compile programmes, or just get down-and-dirty with Linux. We had our own website, and forums (running Invision Power Board too). It was never heavily used, even before I joined.

The Kayaking club's forums are hosted externally, we did not host them, just their website, which I also need to recover from the server.

If I ever need help, I may take you up on that offer.

Now next time, refrain from taking advantage of the connection :P

If I ever need help, I may take you up on that offer.

Please do :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

gosh, em, hi guys! im in 3rd year in computing but its my first year in WIT and Im still having difficulty getting around the campus! is there a computer society already in place? Or anything like it? the SNET sounds good, id get a few people into it if it were up!

Yeah I think there is a computer society set up, I think I tried to contact them but got now response.

NOTE: ( I may be confusing with other Clubs and Socs there were many I was trying to get info from).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What ever David may or may not have been doing the comprimse wasn't his fault. Someone brute forced an SSH account and was then using the box to try leverage access to the rest of the college network.

In saying that the account that was gotten in to was about 5 years out of date so shouldnt really have been there and this was going on for a few days untill people in the college noticed.

Id love to hear about the other times it was pulled off the network David...

It was setup in 1998/99, never had any major backing from the students. Was used a bit for project work and for SSH access to other servers from outside the college but the reality is the students in WIT were never really interested in it. It was near impossible to get and keep members.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Rew wrote: »
    It was setup in 1998/99, never had any major backing from the students. Was used a bit for project work and for SSH access to other servers from outside the college but the reality is the students in WIT were never really interested in it. It was near impossible to get and keep members.

I do remember one meeting around a table in Geoffs with a number of socs committees... If I remember correctly the computer society did itself proud!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Rew wrote: »
    It was setup in 1998/99, never had any major backing from the students. .

Actually it was all setup in 1997 , and went live on the network in early '98....on 350Mhz PII.... ah, those were the days...

LOL thats funny as hell !!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

I am involved with a few clubs in the college, and was the one in charge of the kayaking clubs website when it was up on snet. I know that we would be interested in getting a site back up on snet, and there are other clubs who would be interested too. The problem is that comittees change every year in clubs, and they need to be approached each year (even an email to the clubs would be a start!) and let them know that there is a web hosting service being provided at a VERY reasonable cost. Clubs and societies would happily contact the club captains and make them aware of the service either.

P.S. - Seeing as its looking unlikely that snet will be back up and running for a long time yet, does anyone have any suggestions for webhosting. We have alot of photos we would be uploading ( we had 3 gigs of photos and vids before snet went down) but we also need something reasonably cheap.

briN_s:-
    Send me a PM with your hosting requirements and ill sort you out.

The same applies for anyother WIT Club/Society.

I thought WIT kayaking had to leave college hosting cause of teh attitude towards drinking on the site??

Nope, thats a totally different thing and a long story, but basically we (or any other club/society) are not allowed have control of the content on the clubs and societies webpage, as it has has to pass the judgement of the relevant people first. The clubs and societies website will also not link to our webpages for fear that some of the content will clash with the colleges alcohol policy

The college has an alchol policy? Yet, Christmas Day has been a drinking fest for how many years?

Does that mean no matter where you host it, the college have to approve it?

Sully wrote: »
    The college has an alchol policy?
    Im am not sure exactly what the story is with official policies, but basically the college doesnt want to be seen to be promoting people going out and getting pissed. Christmas day has been there for years, but it doesnt mean they are happy about it! The restrictions the college are putting/trying to put on the college bar and local pubs is increasing the whole time. Wasnt the dome closed for christmas day/rag week a few years back?
    Sully wrote: »
    Does that mean no matter where you host it, the college have to approve it?
    Not exactly. On the clubs and societies webpage, they have total control of what goes on it. This is because the website is an official WIT page that can be accessed from the WIT homepage, and dont want to have any content on the site which could bring the college into disrepute in any way.

An extension of this is that they wont put a link from the clubs and societies webpage to a website hosted by us. This is because, for them to put a link from an official WIT webpage suggests that they approve of all the content.

AFAIK, once we dont claim our website is an official WIT page, and it is not directly linked from an official WIT page, no one has to approve the content.

• Advertisement

The clubs and socs setup on the WIT is really disgracefull, there is no contact info for many of the clubs , it simply just asks you to ring/email the clubs and socs department.

Advertisement