Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 Nissan Almera for 6500- good value?

Options
  • 03-10-2007 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm looking at a 2002 Nissan Almera Saloon 48000 miles for 6500 euro.
    CD player, central locking and electric windows.

Car looks and drives OK (from what i can tell anyway).
    Services seem to be done but not by a Nissan garage.
    Due for NCT this month however.
    Is 6500 a reasonable price for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tech77 wrote:
    Hi.
    I'm looking at a 2002 Nissan Almera Saloon 48000 miles for 6500 euro.
    CD player, central locking and electric windows.

Car looks and drives OK (from what i can tell anyway).
    Services seem to be done but not by a Nissan garage.
    Due for NCT this month however.
    Is 6500 a reasonable price for it.

I think you can do better than that to be honest.

I know someone who was offered €9k trade-in value for a 2005 Almera which was also in perfect nick. Also I think someone was on www.adverts.ie and this forum recently asking €7k for a 2003 model.

Almeras do not have a great resale value to be honest but there are plenty of them about for sale so you can afford to be patient and get one at the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Fair enough.
    Thanks.

Strangely enough though it's about the best price i've seen and i've looked in CBG, Autotrader, Buy and Sell, local paper and online (carzone.ie etc).

Where are all these cheap cars that people talk about i wonder? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get a hefty discount off the asking price, don't let the amount they're asking put you off, they can always come down!
    nobody wants Almeras in stock, so unless they've got it costing too much they will surely give you a big doscount off the asking. It is worth noting that the 02 Almera won't have side airbags or ABS, and isn't exactly renowned for bullet proof reliability as the older generation was.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Get a hefty discount off the asking price, don't let the amount they're asking put you off, they can always come down!
    nobody wants Almeras in stock, so unless they've got it costing too much they will surely give you a big doscount off the asking. It is worth noting that the 02 Almera won't have side airbags or ABS, and isn't exactly renowned for bullet proof reliability as the older generation was.

Cheers.
    Nobody wants Almera in stock :eek: :D
    What years are more reliable 2003 onwards?

I'm telling you, Almeras are very hard to sell for decent money at the moment and have been for a few years. Nissan still have unregistered new ones in storage and are trying very hard to shift them, the Tiida has been out for a while, and that's not exactly making an impact either.
    The only way I'd want an Almera in stock would be if I was getting it in very cheaply. I've had certain Almeras in stock for months on end.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm telling you, Almeras are very hard to sell for decent money at the moment and have been for a few years. Nissan still have unregistered new ones in storage and are trying very hard to shift them, the Tiida has been out for a while, and that's not exactly making an impact either.
    The only way I'd want an Almera in stock would be if I was getting it in very cheaply. I've had certain Almeras in stock for months on end.

The Almera is fairly non-descript alright but i don't really get why its so undesirable.
    It's not exactly ugly. More bland.

Also any idea what years are more reliable?

Certain cars are undesirable for different reasons, My theory on why the Almera is is that it's seen as a cheap car, Nissan were constantly offering incentives to get people into them. As well as that, the 1.5 engine makes it look relatively big engined next to 1.4 models even though the tax is only marginally more. Fuel consumption isn't great. Also there were issues with CD units malfunctioning, gearbox problems, timing chain and camshaft position sensors going wrong. The driving position is pretty low compared to other cars in its segment. Also the low safety equipment (particularly lack of ABS until towards the end of the models life) is an issue for some people.

I think the timing chain problem was sorted when they facelifted the model in 2003. on these models make sure the dipped beams work properly as there was a problem with the bulb holders melting and detaching from the reflector (similar to problem on 03 Avensis models) make sure this problem was fixed on warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 noeldublin6

i got a 02 almera 42k never had any problems :D

that puts a whole new spin on things.

Advertisement