Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista laptop connected to wifi but not internet?

• 03-10-2007 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Guys, I have a laptop running Vista Ultimate, I've connected it to my Linksys WRT54GS router, typed in passwords etc. It says its connected to the router but I cant connect to the internet through the laptop. It's my first time using Vista and I don't know a great deal about wifi tbh. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Can you ping your gateway, click start > run > type cmd and press enter, then ipconfig you will find your gateway listed there 192.168.x.x. Then type ping 192.168.x.x. If you get no reply its probably got the wrong IP details entered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Hal, I did that. It said 4 packets sent, 4 received and 0 lost. I guess thats good?

When I opened up IE, after it failed to connect I clicked on diagnose problem and I got
    Cannot connect with Primary DNS Server 192.168.1.1
    Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Follow FAQ 5 in the sticky and let us know how u get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks irlrobins. I tried the sticky unfortunately it didn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yeah but what happened? Did it fail at any point? If you can give teh results of each step it might pinpoint the problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Sounds like your laptop hasn't being reconfigured to the router. You may have to delete the current wifi network if you created one, & follow the setup from scratch again. Or maybe the encryption key was typed in wrong,
    or configured to the wrong SSID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

What's your ISP?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Try entering a dns server.

Advertisement