Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tarja Turunen - I Walk Alone

• 03-10-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Her new single (in Finland)

I like it. It's not Nightwish but Tarja. Also very appropriately titled as the song gives the message that she's still around and stronger than ever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly not liking that at all. Musicially, it's vacuous and without any substance whatsoever, all it is is a beat, some powerchords and a bit of orchestration as a backing for her vocals. There's only a brief moment of musical flourish in the bridge, but apart from that it's just some extremely shallow listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its not half as bad as I expected it to be. I have hated all the previous stuff she's released on her own. Have you heard Ciaran's Well? What an odd song. Its sounds very messy, but the quality of the youtube recording is pretty crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I actually thought it was fairly good. In that words of Bubbles, "that was decent"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

A rather bland affair, nothing much to it and entirely forgettable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think the verse is nice and spooky but the chorus doesn't go anywhere. Very little hook to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

decidedly average tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

OT: Think its time for a new avatar :D

Jesus, 3 Optimus Primes in a row! :eek:

This is a sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I really like it, especially the chorus.

Tarja's new video has just been released - Die Alive

I got her album My Winter Storm before Christmas and I'm really enjoying it. Its not really comparable to Nightwish other than the powerful voice and orchestral music. The songs are nothing like NW songs, but they are pretty decent. There's comparisons to be made with movie score music, especially Hans Zimmer (who worked on the album). Die Alive, above, isnt the greatest song on the album neither is I Walk Alone, but there are excellent tracks like Sing For Me, Oasis and My Little Phoenix. The cover version of Poison however sticks out like a sore thumb. Its just wrong on every level imaginable. Its horrible and doesnt suit her voice at all.
    Other than that its a thoroughly enjoyable. Even more so if you're a fan of movie scores. It might not be worth buying if you're just a tr00 metalhead - maybe "borrow" a copy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I think her new album is one of the worst things put to disc ever. I Walk Alone is great, and Poison is a good cover. Hated everything else on it though, big disappointment for me...

Then again it might grow on my in a years time!

That Die Alive song is freakin' terrible, couldn't listen to the whole thing.

Its not the best song by any means but there's a good Zimmer-esque in the middle of that song. She has a knack for picking crap singles. Theres a lot of filler on the album, but the good songs are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

would you go to see her if she came to dublin for the tour. well i think there are a few good songs on the album wasnt impressed with the poison song think she ruined it. is it true that she recorded the winter storm in ireland

She recorded part of it in Grouse Lodge Studios in Westmeath. I would go and see her if she came to Ireland as she has an amazing voice and I do quite like some of the songs on the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Jesus, 3 Optimus Primes in a row! :eek:

This is a sign.

i just want to point out that i'm the original prime. it was my first avatar and unless i subscribe (which i probably should at this stage), it'll be my last!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

i just want to point out that i'm the original prime. it was my first avatar and unless i subscribe (which i probably should at this stage), it'll be my last!

Not my fault you're old. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Great voice, but that song was well below average,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I like Die Alive, I think the chorus is catchy out!

There are plenty of kick-arse songs on that album - Lost Northern Star, Oasis, Ciarán's Well, yes sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

OK, what really annoys me about this album is that most of it's content just sounds completely forced.

She (or they) has tried to press these rock/metal elements for the sake of trying to appeal to the Nightwish fanbase that she was so scared of losing.

Despite whining in interviews for years about how she's not all about metal and that her life ambition is to be a classical singer, she still doesn't seem to be doing what she really wants to deep down.

Selling records seems to have become far more important than making music that she feels passionate about, and the lack of passion in this album, and the unnecessary cramming of metal into the music, makes it sound bland and forgetful. And concequently, hardly anyone is feeling it.

She needs to stick to what she does best. Classical. Not only would it sound great, but it will probably sell a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭SameDifference

Does anyone else think the title is particularly appropriate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Well, considering she actually didn't write the song herself, the title is completely meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Considering the deep rooted problems that happened regarding Tarja's removal from Nightwish she has done very well for herself. Brill she filmed the video here in Ireland. Both parties can be pleased with the outcome. Nightwish got Anette and Tarja is doing her own thing. No hard feelings. As I am a huge fan. Peace

Will she be able to sustain her fanbase though? Many if not all are or were NW fans. Tarja hasnt done an awful lot to promote the album. There were a handful of "warm up dates" before Christmas and another handful of dates since Easter. Her tour ends next week! How does she think she can gain fans if she's not out touring? Probably Marcelo's wonderous marketing!

That is the problem isn't it. Back and forth between Finland and Argentina. I know all of Scandinavia would be a huge focal point, and also countries where Nightwish are successful such as Germany and Holland might be hard to crack. I read she was helping a band in Argentina so with Marcelo (Mtr Fkr) I suppose Central and South America. Let's hope so

Check this out...found it on youtube a few months ago. Marco....very funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ce9LDQXKW8

That is the problem isn't it. Back and forth between Finland and Argentina. I know all of Scandinavia would be a huge focal point, and also countries where Nightwish are successful such as Germany and Holland might be hard to crack. I read she was helping a band in Argentina so with Marcelo (Mtr Fkr) I suppose Central and South America. Let's hope so

Check this out...found it on youtube a few months ago. Marco....very funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ce9LDQXKW8

Advertisement