Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for commuting + sizing

Options
  • 03-10-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm currently looking at getting a new bike for my commute in and out of town, plus the odd longer trip. I was looking at a Kona PhD (€850) on chainreactioncycles.com and was wondering what sort of fit these are. I'm about 5'9'', should I be looking at the 56cm or would I have to go looking elsewhere for a 54cm maybe. I tried Cycological but they didn't have anything at the time for me to sit on and try out in a Kona.

Also, if you guys can recommend anything similar in the €500 to €800 I'm all ears, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Stuart1

I'd never buy a bike over the web - much better to be able to try one out in the flesh and ride it around the block a few times to see if it's the style you like.

Recently been looking at the Giant FCR range which look quite similar to the kona - I took one out for a spin from Wolfe cycles (Sundrive road) and was quite impressed.

Having said that it felt quite different to the way I expected so well worth trying before buying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sprinter

If you are after some speed you could check out the Giant scr3, priced €850 but well spec'd for the price. You will breeze through the traffic and the benefit of using a racer is that they roll nicely requiring less effort through the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

sprinter wrote:
    If you are after some speed you could check out the Giant scr3, priced €850 but well spec'd for the price.
    It's 701.24 at Wheelworx in Clondalkin. Strange figure.

The Giant FCR 2 is 731. Same tyres as the SCR3 (700x26).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Thanks for the input guys. I'm after spotting a FCR1 for €700, ever so slightly shop soiled, in a local bike store (don't want to say where as it might go from underneath my nose :p). Looks like a pretty good deal and felt well during a very brief spin on it. Good choice do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I have the FCR3 and love it. It's a fast, comfortable bike for commuting. I've used it touring too.

I'm a gnat's hair under six foot and have the large size, which suits me perfectly. Giant uses a proprietary "compact frame" design so you might find it hard to compare their sizes with those of other manufacturers. To find the equivalent sizes in conventional bike sizing terms, check out the Giant website.
    RtD wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm after spotting a FCR1 for €700, ever so slightly shop soiled, in a local bike store (don't want to say where as it might go from underneath my nose :p). Looks like a pretty good deal and felt well during a very brief spin on it. Good choice do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I have the FCR3 and love it. It's a fast, comfortable bike for commuting. I've used it touring too.

I'm a gnat's hair under six foot and have the large size, which suits me perfectly. Giant uses a proprietary "compact frame" design so you might find it hard to compare their sizes with those of other manufacturers. To find the equivalent sizes in conventional bike sizing terms, check out the Giant website.
    I have the very same bike, am 5 11" but my one is a medium. The bloke in the bike shop told me I needed a medium but I've always been suspect and thought maybe a large would suit better. Still though, no problems with it and it is a great bike, would definetly recommend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

The FCR1 @ 700 is a v good price, I would recommend to take it if you like it.

Thanks again for the input guys. I went for the FCR1, managed to get a carrier, muds and a few other bits thrown in for the price also. So far on the short trips I've taken it on it feels good, can really feel the difference between the carbon fork and the old chromoly of my last bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

what bike shop was it?

I got it in Hollingsworths on the Kilmacud road. Was a once off price though because it had been out of the shop briefly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement