Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 03-10-2007 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hey yall,

just got ntl broadband last week which im sharing with a flatmate. ive noticed whenever hes also online my downloads can be quite variable.. anywhere in the region of 0-200k. when ive got the line to myself i can get up to 5-600k on a good server. his computer is connected directly to the usb modem, whereas im rigged to the netgear router via ethernet. i was just wondering if his connection is getting higher priority because of this setup?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

I doubt it. The theoretical bandwidth of the USB is 1.1Mb/s and the Ethernet is 10Mb/s but it's the bottleneck that defines your network speed. My guess is he's downloading all the time when your online too, ask him to limit it so you can get some juice for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

makes sense, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Both of you take turns and go on

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/iso

and start downloading a Core iso.

You'll see who's faster when there's no bottleneck on the far end.
    Doubt if the USB connected web downloads faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 essbebe

Azurewave Wireless Router AW gr250

to open router page 192.168.0.1 ?
    Need the ID and password to program the router.

in manual not listed. Advance thanks from INDIA for a quick reply !

Advertisement