Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about bandwidth speeds

Options
  • 03-10-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

say I pay for a 3 Mb package from eircom

for whatever reason there will be times when the actual bandwidth speed I'm getting is less than 3 Mb / sec

my question is, at these times (when I'm getting only 1.7 Mb / sec for example), is the fact I'm paying for a 3 Mb package any advantage to me ?

If I was only paying for a 2 Mb package would I also be getting 1.7 Mb ?

All other things being equal, if the maximum bandwidth eircom can give me on my line at this time is 1.7 Mb, will both the 3 Mb and 2 Mb give me the same speed ? Or will the 3 Mb package still give me a better speed (1.7 Mb compared to 1.5 Mb for example) ?

Is it a waste of money paying for the 3 Mb package unless you know your line will be almost always be giving you 2 Mb + ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are on 2 separate tracks

1. if your line cannot take 3mbits you are correct
    2. if your line can take 3mbits but if contention kicks in then at times you will notice a slowdown becuase the circuits are busy and you are sharing them with others , say 7-11pm
    3. both

to resolve 1. and maybe save yourself money , can you post your line stats?

Log into the netopia modem and its on the front page thats http://192.168.1.254/

also turn off the wireless if you don't actually use it :D lest you didn't hear :D, thats in 'expert mode' as are detailed line stats in the diagnostics.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You are on 2 separate tracks

1. if your line cannot take 3mbits you are correct
    2. if your line can take 3mbits but if contention kicks in then at times you will notice a slowdown becuase the circuits are busy and you are sharing them with others , say 7-11pm
    3. both

to resolve 1. and maybe save yourself money , can you post your line stats?

Log into the netopia modem and its on the front page thats http://192.168.1.254/

also turn off the wireless if you don't actually use it :D lest you didn't hear :D, thats in 'expert mode' as are detailed line stats in the diagnostics.

Sponge Bob, can you repost that link ?

Hypothetically (and assuming contention is not different), lets say my line can take take 3 Mb, my question is, at the times when it dips below say 2 Mb (say it goes down to 1.7 Mbs between 7 and 11 as you say), during those times will someone with a 3Mb package get exactly the same speed as someone who has paid for a 2 Mb package?

I currently have clearwire not eircom broadband (though I do have eircom dial up) so not sure if I can test my line

eircom tell me my line is "amber" and I only have a 50/50 chance of getting more than 0.5 Mb/s

my query relates more to my clearwire, where I think I'm only getting less than 1 Mb (according to online speed tests) despite paying for 2 Mb, so I'm wondering whether I should switch to the 1 Mb option, although I'm wondering whether this will affect my speed (even when it is usually below 1 Mb, is there any advantage in paying for the 2 Mb option ?)

huh ??

line stats tell you if its the line or the exchange thats slow . click that link you quoted !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

you'll have to help me out here Bob, don't know too much about these things

I clicked on your link and got "The server at 192.168.1.254 is taking too long to respond."

am I doing something wrong ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sponge Bob wrote:
    huh ??

line stats tell you if its the line or the exchange thats slow . click that link you quoted !!!

He's with clearwire not eircom. I don't know why he mentions eircom in his OP.

• Advertisement

ah!

14899lightbulb.gif

Advertisement