Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its wabbit season!

• 03-10-2007 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Just went out for an hour with the 22. Did a bit of plinking then took a walk around the field I was in. I saw about ten rabbits but everytime I tried to get close they bolted. The nearest I got was about 200yds, out of range.

So the question is..... any tips on rabbit stalking?? This is an open field with little cover and I was downwind. I think they were seeing me from a distance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Oh and one more question.... is it worth watching where a bunny goes into the ditch? Will he re-appear? After how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

Keep to the hedge, crouch and move slowly for 100 yds then crawl the rest.
    Take your time, if the rabbits sit up, you stop until they relax again. Avoid sudden movements. Their eyesight is not great but if you make a sudden movement they'll spot it. Cover your face and hands. An uncovered face is like a full moon.
    Sounds like they have been hunted before and are jumpy. Try putting something in the field to block their view and allow you to get closer...a bale of hay, a branch etc.

Have a look at some air rifle magazines, they usually have great tips for stalking rabbits.....pellet shooters need to get as close as 40-50 yards!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

probably unlikely to re-appear, well not for a long while anyway, if you are in range and you think he's gonna run, aim just to the hedge side of him while you're creeping up, so when he does move , he's gonna run thru your sights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Or just forget about the stalking part and buy a .17 you should be able to knock them at that distance:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

you doing something majorly wrong,
    likle putting an extra 0 in the post,

rabbits are easy to get up to

how exactly are you trying???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Thanks lads, its just an open stubble field and they can see me a long way in the distance, usually before I see them. The first I see of them is when they are up on their hind legs looking at me from the distance. I might try them at night with a lamp? I like the .17 solution FH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

alan123 wrote:
    Thanks lads, its just an open stubble field and they can see me a long way in the distance, usually before I see them. The first I see of them is when they are up on their hind legs looking at me from the distance. I might try them at night with a lamp? I like the .17 solution FH!

kts a good solution but the ammo aint cheap.

Advertisement