Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 03-10-2007 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering do many of you put no hunting signs up on your land and whats the best to put up as in land preserved or no shooting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

set landmines for the gits,i was browsing the hunting and shooting forum,really made me mad and i was going to put a few well thought out words in there but then i would have been banned and i am not going to stop them so there was no point,i would shoot a magpie tho and at leat no one mentions fox shooting or badger baiting but the real one that gets my goat is the deer hunting,how could you kill such a beautifull animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

They talk about Fox shooting also they post up pictures of the things they shoot such as deer/fox/and foul as if its something to be proud of.

As regards magpies a lot of what you hear is rubbish, they will eat eggs and such but they don't have any real effect on bird populations.
    And your right you would be wasting your time posting there they don't tend to listen unless you agree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭rosyposy

Sometimes I find its the other way round with people not tending to listen unless they agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

gerky wrote:
    I'm just wondering do many of you put no hunting signs up on your land and whats the best to put up as in land preserved or no shooting.

Gerky,

The best way to keep shooters off your land is to approach the local gun club and tell them that you want to make your land a sanctuary.

They will then signpost it for you and inform all of their members that it is off limits. Any of their club members breaching this could face expulsion from the club. This is normally enough of an incentive to keep legitimate hunters off your land, scumbag poachers are a different matter!

P.S. I am an avid hunter!

We are not quite like what you paint us to be like in your above posts.

As for your comments that magpies have no effect on our songbird population, could you please tell me where you got this information?

The magpie is a predator/scavenger, non indigenous to this country, who predates on bird eggs and young, is top of his food chain and has no natural predators.

How do you propose that this species is not upsetting the balance of nature??

Thanks for the info,But I’m curious if I want to put up the signs myself what would I put up.

As for where I got my info I participated in a study a while back on predator numbers in relation to prey numbers.
    Magpies will eat eggs and hatchlings but only for a short period of the year and its not the main part of their diet.

There’s no legitimate evidence to show that their numbers have any real effect on songbird numbers.

A lot of the hatred directed towards mags is misguided and they tend to be used as a scapegoat and a lot of hunters don’t like them because the will sometimes take game bird eggs and hatchlings such as pheasant which is also an introduced species.
    The main reason thought to be behind songbird decline is habitat destruction and modern farming practices.

I don’t have the rights to publish the study that I participated in so I’ll post some links with similar information.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Advice/FAQ/MagpieFAQ/tabid/374/Default.aspx
    http://www.birdweb.net/magpie.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Gerky,

If you want to put up your own signs, go with the simple ''No Shooting, Tresspassers Prosecuted''.

Dont have any referenve to 'Preserve' as this infers that shooting of some sort is permitted.

The signs must be placed at all points of access to the property and all fields must have a closable gate for any trespassing claim to be upheld.

Good luck.

P.S. I think we will have to agree to disagree on the magpies ;)

Thanks for the information.
    As regards magpies I had always been told the same that they were doing a lot of harm to our songbirds,
    But after doing the research on them and several other animals it turns out a lot of what we are told is wrong.
    Anyway thanks again.

Advertisement