Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 Adults, 3 kids and a dog... What MPV?

Options
  • 03-10-2007 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I am looking for advice from the MPV owners out there...

Currently have a large family estate (2001), but need to upgrade as its getting tight now.

Like i say, 2 Adults, 3 kids and a dog... with enough decent boot space.

Prefer Diesel and i will probably head to NI or UK and import to save a few quid as I have previously bought the estate in the UK.

Looking for something around a 2003 to 2006 model.

I have been looking on Carzone for ideas and im swinging towards the Renault Espace, but i also like the Opel Zafira, Scenic and Ford Galaxy.... but am open to other ideas as well.

Can the MPV owners out there let me know what they think?

Thanks for any advice you may give!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

For that load size bigger is better. Diesel preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are even big MPVs much larget than the likes of a E-Class Mercedes estate or a V70?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Multipla

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Actually, the Multipla would be perfect. It's the coolest MPV of them all, too. There's even one in the New York Museum of Modern Art.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Second, strike that, third the Multipla; fantastic car if you can stomach the looks.
    And there's no way a Scenic or Zafira will give you the space of a EClass, V70 or Mondeo estate; they're all HUUUGE!

If you prefer the MPV then maybe the S-Max or Galaxy is an option - but I still think boot space is better in the 3 estates above. Steer well clear of the Chrysler Voyager if you're going for one of the bigger buses - 2 star NCAP rating!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Lite sleepeR

Honda Frvsame idea as thr Fiat with Japanesse Build Quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Ford Transit Minibus....the 80's one with the bullnose and square headlights.

Mate's fater-in-law has one and it does the biz alright, loadza room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Zafira ...boooooring as it is ....actually is a very good package when it comes to utilisation of space.

Far bigger boot then the Multipla for example.

In the medium size MPV sector (below Espace / Caravelle / Voyager) it still is the benchmark to beat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Honda FRV was very well reviewed in the IT recently, but said it may be hard to track down in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

more of a mini-mpv than a real one, but we recently got a Ford Focus C-Max and it's a super car. Got the LX petrol version - next time it'll be the Diesel with some of the extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I just sold our 07 Galaxy, and bought a not-too common MPV which has turned out to be brilliant - an 02 Mazda MPV. 2.0 TurboD, privacy glass, sliding rear doors, enormous boot. On the school run etc, it's doing about 36mpg. D

Being a Mazda, I don't anticipate needing to fix it.............:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anan1 wrote:
    Are even big MPVs much larget than the likes of a E-Class Mercedes estate or a V70?

Not larger but taller and maybe easier to get kids and their usual bagage in and out of.

To the OP since you also have a dog, then your going to need boot space too. The thing with smallish MPVs is that you either use the seats and loose the luggage space or you loose a row of seats for lugage.

Something like the new Citroen Picasso, Renault Grand Scenic, Espace Toyota Previa or Ford Galaxy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2 adults, 3 kids and a dog will be too tight to fit into any medium mpv surely?

2 adults, 3 kids and a dog will be too tight to fit into any medium mpv surely?

I'd say that very much depends on how often ALL of them (and their gear) need to be in the car at the same time.

If that's only the case for holidays and Sunday outings, the smaller "medium" car might be the better option as a daily driver and you can upgrade for the full "holiday assault" with a roofbox or even a small trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah. I bought a new Mazda 5 a couple of months ago. Very happy with it. It is a UK model so it has Sat NAV, climate, 2l diesel and a load of other stuff not available to the saps in Ireland. Very good car.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

prospect wrote:
    Multipla

Ah... No! :D Id like an MPV not a shed! ha ha! (Just my opinion as i was sat behind one at the lights today!)

peasant wrote:
    I'd say that very much depends on how often ALL of them (and their gear) need to be in the car at the same time.

If that's only the case for holidays and Sunday outings, the smaller "medium" car might be the better option as a daily driver and you can upgrade for the full "holiday assault" with a roofbox or even a small trailer.

You're right there... the missus will mainly be using it for school runs (one child and the other two are not in school yet), nipping to the shops and the odd outing here and there... the dog wouldn't be traveling in it much except for the odd run down to Cork to the parents place every now and again. (just included him for sizing the boot) but we do have a double buggy that will constantly need to be in the boot. (fecking thing!)

galwaytt wrote:
    I just sold our 07 Galaxy, and bought a not-too common MPV which has turned out to be brilliant - an 02 Mazda MPV. 2.0 TurboD, privacy glass, sliding rear doors, enormous boot. On the school run etc, it's doing about 36mpg. D

Being a Mazda, I don't anticipate needing to fix it.............:D

Can i ask what was wrong with the Galaxy that you sold it.

Also... 36mpg? Ouch!

Access wrote:
    You're right there... the missus will mainly be using it for school runs (one child and the other two are not in school yet), nipping to the shops and the odd outing here and there... the dog wouldn't be traveling in it much except for the odd run down to Cork to the parents place every now and again. (just included him for sizing the boot) but we do have a double buggy that will constantly need to be in the boot. (fecking thing!)

I'd say the deciding issue is going to be how double buggy and dog will fit in.
    I'd still suggest that you take the whole kit and kaboodle along to a test fit in a Zafira and then compare everything else that you may be interested in to that later on.

Take notes and measurement ...piccies if possible, they will come in handy.

The all out spacial assault of course is to go for a VW Caravelle ...that would easily handle of your kit and the parents on top of it all ...question is, would herself fancy driving one of these every day? :D

enmCarGre585.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is that not a transporter, peasant?

(they're different ya know!)

• Advertisement

afaik from the T5 on, there no longer is a passenger/full window version of the "Transporter"

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe it's minibus conversions I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

I'm on my second Zafira (05) great car only crib is the position of the handbrake (have to reach down to use it) and the service intervals can be dear: 63000 kms involves the timing belt and the water pump, some Opel garages can charge as much as €700 for it, but it can be done for a LOT cheaper by a good few non Opel garages. I'd still recommend the Zafira though, as it has proven to be a reliable car for me. I ship my three teens and two dogs around in it with no problems and the two extra seats have been a help on many a day. You will lose the boot space with the two extra seats up but we don't use them as much as we used to. If you do decide to go for one, make sure that it has the net barrier with it for stopping the dogs jumping over the back seats.

Good luck in your search!

regards,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

If you can find one I would highly recommend a Honda Odyssee, my sister has 2 of them in the states and they are absolutely fantastic, sat nav, auto closing side doors, comfortable as bejaysis sits 7 massive massive mpv/van.

Must be a european thing but no slidey doors and it's looks different from the US model but here goes.

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=4637&pageid=1

Thanks for all the information so far.

I appreciate it as i want to get my selection right as MPVs don't come cheap and i want to get the best value for money.

peasant wrote:
    I'd say the deciding issue is going to be how double buggy and dog will fit in.
    I'd still suggest that you take the whole kit and kaboodle along to a test fit in a Zafira and then compare everything else that you may be interested in to that later on.

Take notes and measurement ...piccies if possible, they will come in handy.

The all out spacial assault of course is to go for a VW Caravelle ...that would easily handle of your kit and the parents on top of it all ...question is, would herself fancy driving one of these every day?

Thanks for the info... i think thats what i will do... might call into a few opel dealers early next week and bring the kids too!

As for the VW caravelle, i love my wife and all, but I cant see her parking that without writing it off! :D
    Rob67 wrote:
    I'm on my second Zafira (05) great car only crib is the position of the handbrake (have to reach down to use it) and the service intervals can be dear.

Thanks again for the info, nice to hear the view of someone thats has one and the pros and cons... i will be calling into a few opel dealers next week and will keep your info in mind.

Does anyone on here have a Renault Scenic or Espace and if so, what are they like on diesel and space?

nialler wrote:
    If you can find one I would highly recommend a Honda Odyssee, my sister has 2 of them in the states and they are absolutely fantastic, sat nav, auto closing side doors, comfortable as bejaysis sits 7 massive massive mpv/van.

Must be a european thing but no slidey doors and it's looks different from the US model but here goes.

Thanks Nialler, I had that on my list to look at but scrubbed it off as it comes with a 2.4 petrol!!! and even its 2.2 and 2.4 diesel engines have the worst MPG. So that was a no go.

I maintain a Zafira isn't big enough for 3 kids, 2 adults, a dog and luggage.

It's also a realtively poor vehicle to drive. Use the 3rd row of seats and there's no luggage room, and the heads of the rearmost passengers are inches from the rear glass.

S-Max is the class leader. A good drivers machine with a lot more room.

Or go for a full sized traditional mpv. Plenty about. Beware of safety issues with some, notably Chrysler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'd say have a look at a Honda CRV,very roomy.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Same comments apply to a CRV/Multipla/FRV.

Not big enough for OP's needs.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Wherever you go to test make sure you bring the car seats as well.

We have a 307sw and it fits three carseats in the back - one booster, one booster with back and one fullsize carseat (this is permanently buckled in - a replacement booster would have issues buckling in). The boot has plenty room.

We had a 04 Scenic and it threw up a few electical issues.

Advertisement