Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 Adults, 3 kids and a dog... What MPV?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe something like this Merc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=750314

Best MPV I've come across. In comparison to the Zafira, Galaxy and Oddyssey anyway. The leather is wipable for kiddie spillages and the dog hairs won't have as much to stick to. While the boot ain't masssive with all 8 seats in, when the rear 3 are out you'll get multiple double buggies and golf clubs and dogs in there.

The Odyssey is a little bigger in the US than here, but that's true of most MPVs there. My aunt has one and got our 5 suitcases in the boot without taking the 3rd row out. That said the 3rd row is the real 3 seater, the middle won't realistically hold more than 2.

edit:
    The Huyndai Trajet is definitely worth a look too though
    Trajet

or the Kia Sedona

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I maintain a Zafira isn't big enough for 3 kids, 2 adults, a dog and luggage.

It's also a realtively poor vehicle to drive. Use the 3rd row of seats and there's no luggage room, and the heads of the rearmost passengers are inches from the rear glass.

S-Max is the class leader. A good drivers machine with a lot more room.

Or go for a full sized traditional mpv. Plenty about. Beware of safety issues with some, notably Chrysler.

I dont know about that... test driving a Zafira later today. Will let ye know how i get on and more importantly if it suits my needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I maintain a Zafira isn't big enough for 3 kids, 2 adults, a dog and luggage.

It's also a relatively poor vehicle to drive. Use the 3rd row of seats and there's no luggage room, and the heads of the rearmost passengers are inches from the rear glass.

S-Max is the class leader. A good drivers machine with a lot more room.

Or go for a full sized traditional mpv. Plenty about. Beware of safety issues with some, notably Chrysler.

We've a 01 Zafira as well and have to say its a good car with plenty of space. The seat combination allows you to use one or two of the third row seats which give you amble room for 3 kids and a dog. Have done the same with ours on occasion and there's not much I haven't managed to fit in it. I'd definitely go for a diesel as the 1.6 petrol is not great from what I was told when we were researching it. The handbrake is annoying but wouldn't be a deal breaker imo. I'd have no problem getting another one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have driven the last model Zafira - its a truck.

The Grand Scenic is a much nicer place to be as a passenger or driver.
    Its also got a useable boot even with the rearmost seats up, but its big.

Get a warranty though.

S-Max is the measure of all of them though, particularly if your the type who enjoys your driving. My brother has the 2.5Turbo one - silly car but fun and practical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Well, Test drove a 05 grand scenic and a 06 Zafira today and have to say, considering all factors, it looks like the zafira is the one for us.

Now all that need to be decided is weather to go for the 1.9 diesel model or the 1.6 petrol model (petrol model is approx €2000 cheaper)

Any Ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I'd say the petrol engined model would be hard on juice pulling that load around, it's a big car. I'm currently looking at a Ford C-Max myself (we've got two kids, no dog!) and I'm probably going to go for the 1.6 diesel option, it's €2000 more as well but it'll be a lot easier to sell on when the time comes and the diesel will help with residuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

When I lived abroad I owned a VW Sharan 1.8 Petrol, nice car to drive. Last month while in London I rented a Ford Galaxy 1.9 Diesel (old model), excellent car. Great mileage, you can change the seating arrangements easily and each seat is individual and reclines, great for long trips. I'm buying one early next year.

Advertisement