Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

37" panasonic plasma

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

its 1080p compatible, so if you plug in a full hd source the tv downscales it.

its a grand tv, not as good as the pv70 range, but a nice compromise. only has 1 hdmi though...

in the UK (where most of our reviews come from!) it's called a TH-37PX7B, so you can prob find some reviews about that model.

moe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Oshbosh

Here's the review of the TH-37PX70 from which.co.uk, its the only 37 inch Panasonic plasma reviewed there and given a best buy rating. They're about to bring out a 37inch LCD, which.co.uk said it is their most eagerly awaiting TV this year for review. 11 out of 18 best buys last month were Panasonic.

On a general note, are reviews from which.co.uk reliable in anyone's experience ? impartial etc ?

Panasonic Viera TH-37PX70
    BEST BUY

This HD ready, 37-inch plasma TV features an integrated Freeview tuner and boasts some nice picture quality. It's the smallest Panasonic plasma TV available.

As is the norm for Panasonic TVs it's easy to use and the sound isn't bad either. On the downside it is fairly power hungry and doesn't feature a light-sensor.

There's a touch of colour banding but detail is good and problems are fairly minor. HD pictures are excellent

Our expert listeners commented that the sound is a little processed and lacklustre. However, it has a good range of frequencies and good dynamics, despite the presence of a slight background whistle.

Like the rest of the 2007 Panasonic range there is a slight problem with interference with analogue tuner sound. But it's hardly noticeable and shouldn't detract from the overall sound quality.

It also supports audio description. Found on some Freeview programmes, this is an additional narration for visually-impaired people that describes significant visual information, such as body language and scenery.It's also a cinch to use and features well designed on-screen menus and Freeview electronic programme guide (EPG).

The remote is well laid out and clearly labeled. A coordinating pedestal stand is supplied but it can be wall mounted if a suitable bracket is purchased. However, it uses a lot of power and there's no light sensor to compensate.

Connections-wise it has two HDMI for connecting to high definition equipment and two Scart sockets, both of which carry RGB and are Q-Link enabled (can trigger a compatible recorder).

It can be connected to a hi-fi system via the stereo audio output socket but lacks conveniently positioned AV input sockets for camcorder use and there's no headphone jack.

Pros: HD picture, audio description, easy to use

Cons: Power hungry

that review is for the better tv, the th-37pv70 in ireland. it is a great set but about 300 quid dearer that the pv7. well worth it if your budget allows for it.

yeah im looking forward to seeing this new lcd alright... only disadvantage i can see is the lack of 100hz motion scanning. for a screen that size it really should be on it.. and it's not going to have an irish tuner so you'll need digital tv for it

moe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Oshbosh

the power hungry aspect of the larger Panasonics puts me off plus they're not true full HD (i think). I like the look of the SONY KDL40D3000 but haven't seen the review from which.co.uk yet although the specs are good and the 32D3000 also got a best buy. I have read other reviews but not sure how impartial they were as they weren't that detailed.

panasonic don't make a 37" full hd plasma. and neither does anybody else as far as i know.

they have full HD in 42" upwards (TH-42PY70). all their plasma sets that aren't full HD, are full HD compatible.

the sony kdl-40d3000 isn't full HD either. it is full HD compatible alright, but doesn't have the full resolution panel.

the power aspect is a little confusing to people. plasma draws more power when it needs to, whereas lcd draws the same amount of power for all types of picture. plasma draws more power when it needs a bright picture, and less for dark scenes. so at times, plasma is more efficient than lcd.

moe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 gav07

Does the TH-37PX70 (UK model) work in Ireland? I see the PAL-I on the spec - is that the key?

Advertisement