Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You Call Yourself A Man, Dida?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Long delays to the game a la NFL where the coaches start appealing for every little thng to be reviewed by the TMO (Television Match Official for all you non rugby folk!!) which would slow the game down big time.
    They tried it Wimbleton this year but the player was only allowed to make 5 (I think?) challenges to any given call per game. Worked out really well.

In Football you wouldn't need more than 3 per game per team.
    Sure you're only allowed check it in rugby to check the grounding of the ball for a try.
    Actually, it's only the ref that's allowed to go to the TMO for clarification. Personally I think it adds to the drama of the game. It also takes a lot of pressure off the ref. Once a decision is made there's no point in arguing with the ref as it wasn't his decision and the game just moves on.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

iregk wrote:
    Whats really harsh here and I'm surprised nobody has picked up on it. Celtic are extremely lucky milan still had a sub left. Had Milan used all 3 during the game and it ended with Dida making a show of himself the game would have been adandoned and Celtic mis out on a great win.

nobody has picked up on it because it is pure rubbish. If you have used all your subs and someone goes off injured you play with 10 men, there is no rule that lets you abandon the game until you are down to 7 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

copacetic wrote:
    nobody has picked up on it because it is pure rubbish. If you have used all your subs and someone goes off injured you play with 10 men, there is no rule that lets you abandon the game until you are down to 7 players.

It's not rubbish, I have to agree with 'iregk'.
    This was different to the norm and remember Dida was the goalkeeper and it would have caused mayhem if there were no subs left.

copacetic wrote:
    If you have used all your subs and someone goes off injured you play with 10 men,
    In normal circumstances that happens but last night was different.

BaZmO* wrote:
    In normal circumstances that happens but last night was different.

how so? the rules are clear, Milan would have known that walking off the pitch would have gotten them a ban from European football. They aren't stupid, they would have played on.

The consequences for Celtic afterwards may have been worse, but that is a whole different thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I'm actually vomiting as I type.

Ah would ya stop :p

Im mystified as to how the paras took him off if, presumably, there was no bruising or clear sign of injury to his right chin/jaw.

Its odd, i was watching it in work online on a tiny sky news screen and it looks like he got a good whack, yet watching it last night it was clear he got a light tap, not even a slap.

How useless are ITV, their match report on the news just showed the goals and the 2-1 result with no mention of what happened.

The fan escaped into the crowd apparently, no doubt he will be tracked down by the papers within a day or two.

copacetic wrote:
    how so? the rules are clear, Milan would have known that walking off the pitch would have gotten them a ban from European football. They aren't stupid, they would have played on.

The consequences for Celtic afterwards may have been worse, but that is a whole different thing.
    Tbh, I don't know what would have happened if they had used up all their subs. But you have to admit that what happened last night was totally different to what happened when Van der Sar went off injured at Tottenham in February.

You can argue the toss as to whether or not Dida was injured but the Referee wasn't to know at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Well your memory sucks. Vieira kicked out and RVN jumped backwards to avoid it and then looked at the ref and gestured in a way to ask him if he saw it. The ref did see it, sent him off for the intentof his action. Keane then leads Vieira away and is seen motuhing the words "just appeal" to Vieira. And this was not the incident that led to the penalty so your memory is REALLY poor.

Probably nursng his pride.

Ah Patrick Viera, that bastion of fair play and an honest servant to the game throughout his many years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyodSDQbXM

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Yes in normal circumstances if the team uses all 3 subs and gets an injury they have to live with it. If it’s the keeper that gets injured they put an outfield player in goal.

However as it was not normal and an opposing fan that "caused" the injury then its different. What makes this a particularly special circumstance is that it was the keeper. The law states the game would have been adandoned. Fifa apparently (ref was telling us this today) have rules in place for this. Its to stop oppertunism from taking place. Lets say Celtic were one down and Milan bring on their last sub in the 60min. Now Celtic still have a half hour to get back so one fan spotting an opportunity runs on and properly knocks Dida out. Milan are now without a keeper down to 10 men. Should the game go on and Celtic win thanks to the actions of a fan? No. The rules are there to prevent that.

The game would have been abandoned.

iregk wrote:
    Yes in normal circumstances if the team uses all 3 subs and gets an injury they have to live with it. If it’s the keeper that gets injured they put an outfield player in goal.

However as it was not normal and an opposing fan that "caused" the injury then its different. What makes this a particularly special circumstance is that it was the keeper. The law states the game would have been adandoned. Fifa apparently (ref was telling us this today) have rules in place for this. Its to stop oppertunism from taking place. Lets say Celtic were one down and Milan bring on their last sub in the 60min. Now Celtic still have a half hour to get back so one fan spotting an opportunity runs on and properly knocks Dida out. Milan are now without a keeper down to 10 men. Should the game go on and Celtic win thanks to the actions of a fan? No. The rules are there to prevent that.

The game would have been abandoned.

I actually don't believe a word of that. (No offence like).

Am willing to be proved wrong though, anyone got a link to this 'rule'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

tibor wrote:
    Ah Patrick Viera, that bastion of fair play and an honest servant to the game throughout his many years...

*cough*

no one said he was an angel, remember the spitting incident with neil ruddock.i like the quote on sky, by milan's sporting director. claimed that Dida got "slammed" in the neck. now thats a bit to much. grazed him, tapped him but not slammed. slammed and he wouldn't have tried to chase after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The fella was 27. :eek: He looked and acted about 12 or 13.
    STATEMENT FROM CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB

THE individual who entered the field of play at last night’s match against AC Milan has made himself known to Celtic Football Club and will now be banned for life from attending Celtic matches.

After approaching the Club to identify himself, the 27-year-old male, who is not a Celtic season book holder, has today been interviewed by Club representatives. Following this interview, the individual has been taken into custody by Strathclyde Police. The Police will now continue their enquiries into this incident.

Celtic’s Chief Executive, Peter Lawwell commented: "Clearly, Celtic take this issue extremely seriously and it is satisfying that this individual has been identified so swiftly. The individual in question has now been banned for life from attending Celtic matches, both home and away.

"Outwith this incident, the Celtic support last night was phenomenal and I would like to thank our fans once again for their wonderful backing. Our fans have a tremendous record of positive support for the Club at home and abroad, something which has been recognised by both UEFA and FIFA and we are sure this will continue.

"It should also be said that Gordon and his team deserve enormous praise for achieving one of the most famous results in the Club's history, against the current Champions of Europe.

"Celtic Football Club enjoys a fantastic relationship with AC Milan and we are sure this will continue."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

27 FFS, i reckon hes handed himself in as hes scared for his life right about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

what was Dida trying to achieve though?/ Have the fan sent off?!

what was Dida trying to achieve though?/ Have the fan sent off?!

he quite obviously wanted the result of the game to be altered...be that by abandonment or awarding the game to Milan retrospectively.

tibor wrote:

*cough*
    I wasnt defending Vieira in any way shape or form??

Nunu wrote:
    he quite obviously wanted the result of the game to be altered...be that by abandonment or awarding the game to Milan retrospectively.

Hmmm...as he was seriously injured?! At least have a bit of intelligence about it...hilarious stuff

copacetic wrote:
    I actually don't believe a word of that. (No offence like).

Am willing to be proved wrong though, anyone got a link to this 'rule'.

I don't know of a specific rule on this but what I do know is that one of fifas laws states that a ref can abandon a game for whatever reason.

Now, I think a situation where a goalkeeper has had to leave the game (whether he's feigning injury or not) because of an altercation with a fan and there are no subs left to replace him is definitely grounds for abandonment.

symptomatic of players today imo...in all fairness, wtf?! Talk about a loss of self-respect!

• Advertisement

27......what a twat. Im glad he's banned for life. Muppet. Stay in your damn seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Nunu wrote:
    I don't know of a specific rule on this but what I do know is that one of fifas laws states that a ref can abandon a game for whatever reason.

Now, I think a situation where a goalkeeper has had to leave the game (whether he's feigning injury or not) because of an altercation with a fan and there are no subs left to replace him is definitely grounds for abandonment.

nonsense.

90 minutes were played, the game was in injury time..

No idiot would abandon a game for something like this at 90 minutes. The incident was isolated and no officials seen it so they could do nothing.

There was no blood or visible signs of assault/harm, so the ref, as a human being like you and me, takes all of this information and decides to carry on.

The match was basically over anyway so only an idiot would award an away side a dodgy penalty, then abandon the match once the home side score to make it 2-1 after 90 minutes...

If you were the ref, you'd be a dead man walking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Long delays to the game a la NFL where the coaches start appealing for every little thng to be reviewed by the TMO (Television Match Official for all you non rugby folk!!) which would slow the game down big time.

I take it you've never seen an NFL game so? Don't talk nonsense if you don't have a clue what you are on about.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I take it you've never seen an NFL game so? Don't talk nonsense if you don't have a clue what you are on about.
    Ive watched a bit, i find it a pretty boring sport to be onest, too structured and stop starty. Im a fan of rugby and rugby league instead, i prefer the continuity.

And u took me literallly there on my exaggeration but they can appeal umpire decisions and the whole process takes so feckin long i forget im even watchin a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ive watched a bit, i find it a pretty boring sport to be onest, too structured and stop starty. Im a fan of rugby and rugby league instead, i prefer the continuity.

And u took me literallly there on my exaggeration but they can appeal umpire decisions and the whole process takes so feckin long i forget im even watchin a sport.

Fair enough if you think its boring, thats one thing. But saying coaches can challenge any little thing is ridiculous. They challenge something, if they are justified the play is changed, if not they lost a timeout. Maybe something like that could be done with substitutes in the Premiership...

... or maybe players could just stop cheating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Milan said they were taking the matter no further (fair play to them),.

thats because they know what an utter pillock Dida is and dont want to bring ridicule on themselves for looking for UEFA to punish Celtic over a complete non incident.

tibor wrote:

*cough*

See, the problem with that is that the ref clearly knows he dived so waved play on, yet didnt book him. Why would people stop cheating if they know they wont be punished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I only saw this Dida incident this evening, I'd have no respect whatsoever for a player who carries on like that. The worst bit of play-acting I've seen since Rivaldo in 2002, or maybe Drogba taking a dive with no opposition player within 3 yards of him (was it against Bolton?). There should definitely be bans handed out for this sort of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

This is really funny. When people like Ronaldo, Drogba, Gerrard etc... dive in the premiership people say ah well feck it, everyone's doing it nowadays & that its clever play & they should be protected better anyway. But when somebody from a foreign team dose it they make him out to be Hitler.

Its a different thing though. He wasnt doing it to win a peno or a free. He was tryign to get a match abandoned/celtic thrown out of Europe/Milan awarded the game. He also carried it right through to being stretchered off and substituted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

tdv wrote:
    This is really funny. When people like Ronaldo, Drogba, Gerrard etc... dive in the premiership people say ah well feck it, everyone's doing it nowadays & that its clever play & they should be protected better anyway. But when somebody from a foreign team dose it they make him out to be Hitler.

On an irish website makes it golden :D

kdjac

Stekelly wrote:
    Its a different thing though. He wasnt doing it to win a peno or a free. He was tryign to get a match abandoned/celtic thrown out of Europe/Milan awarded the game. He also carried it right through to being stretchered off and substituted.

And do you think Ronaldo & co if given the chance wouldnt try to do that if they were desprate?

Just because Dida's was on a bigger scale dose not mean its any worse than a player diving for a peno or a free-kick, its all cheating what ever way you look at it.

I just think Dida is alot more stupid than the regular Premiership divers & not as skilled at it.

tdv wrote:

Just because Dida's was on a bigger scale dose not mean its any worse than a player diving for a peno or a free-kick, its all cheating what ever way you look at it.

Thats like saying a crimes a crime and all crimes should carry a life sentence. Theres different degrees of cheating. I detest divers as much as the next guy but this was on a whole other level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Well when you talk about that, then you must also take into account that the actions of the Celtic 'fan' were illegal. Tackles that get the ball aren't illegal even on the field of sport. So theres certainly 2 different axis of what makes cheating so bad.

tdv wrote:
    What about a player/defender that purposely fouls an attacking player to stop a goal from being scored?

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats like saying a crimes a crime and all crimes should carry a life sentence. Theres different degrees of cheating. I detest divers as much as the next guy but this was on a whole other level.

How? What makes it worse? Would it have been more acceptable if he fell straight away? Like I said he's just a dope but no more of a cheat than the next guy.

BaZmO* wrote:
    What about a player/defender that purposely fouls an attacking player to stop a goal from being scored?

Well I'm pretty sure them things are called fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

And do you think Ronaldo & co if given the chance wouldnt try to do that if they were desprate?

I honestly don't think any of them would be stupid enough to think it would work. Dida seems to be.

Simulation is a foul too. A defender fouling to stop a attacker getting away is breaking the rules of the game to gain an advantage. Also known as, cheating! The ref catches it and afraids a free.

PHB wrote:
    I honestly don't think any of them would be stupid enough to think it would work. Dida seems to be.

Simulation is a foul too. They are breaking the rules of the game to gain an advantage. Also known as, cheating! The ref catches it and afraids a free.

Well we'll probally never know because the opportunity won't come there way. Like a I said it was just stupidity more than anything.

tdv wrote:
    Yes but a cynical foul, ergo Cheating.

• Advertisement

THE moron who marred Celtic's Champions League night of glory fears he'll have to flee Scotland to escape the fury of real Hoops fans.

Drunken idiot Robert McHendry left the Celts at the mercy of UEFA when he invaded the Parkhead pitch and ran at ACMilan keeper Dida after Scott McDonald's late winner against the European champs.

Despite Dida's pathetic playacting after the incident, Celtic now face the threat of punishment for McHendry's antics.

And yesterday, when McHendry turned himself in at Celtic Park, he whined to the club's head of security Ronnie Hawthorn: "I'm the most hated man in Scotland. I'm going to have to leave the country over this. I can't believe what I've done."

He added: "It was just the emotions of the night and the booze. I tried to pat Dida on the shoulder and said, 'Unlucky Dida'."

McHendry's bleating cut no ice with Hawthorn, who banned him from attending any Celtic game for the rest of his life.

And after his frosty meeting with the security chief, he was taken straight to a nearby police station to be charged with breach of the peace.

McHendry, 27, is expected in court today.

Celtic are investigating how McHendry was able to run unchallenged on to the pitch in the moments after the team clinched their 2-1 triumph on Wednesday night.

He raced towards Dida, arms outstretched, and his hand appeared to brush the goalkeeper's head as he sprinted past him.

Dida turned to chase McHendry, took a few steps, then crumpled theatrically to the ground.

The giant Brazilian was strapped to a stretcher and carried off, pressing an icepack to his face.

Milan officials were embarrassed by Dida's performance, and he was ridiculed as a buffoon in yesterday's Italian papers.

McHendry, of Castlemilk, Glasgow, escaped arrest by jumping back into the crowd.

He gave himself up yesterday - but only after trying to profit from the pitch invasion by selling his story.

In one call to a newspaper, McHendry refused to say why he ran at Dida and asked: "Would I get paid for this?"

He was told he would not, and put the phone down.

Despite McHendry's attempts to cash in, a pal insisted he was "absolutely gutted" over his behaviour.

The friend said: "I spoke with him this morning and he was nearly crying. He can't believe what he has done.

"He didn't hand himself in last night because he was still steaming.

"As soon as he got up this morning he phoned Parkhead but it was closed, so he went to work and phoned again at 9am.

"They told him a time to come down and meet Ronnie Hawthorn.

"The boy is a diehard Celtic fan and is absolutely gutted. I'm totally gutted as well.

"He's made the biggest mistake of his life and I'm sure he will pay for it.

"He isn't a stupid wee boy. I'm not making excuses for him with the booze - I'm just letting people know some background info."

Celtic had no sympathy for McHendry. Chief executive Peter Lawwell said: "Clearly, Celtic take this issue extremely seriously and it is satisfying that this individual has been identified so swiftly.

"The individual in question has now been banned for life from attending Celtic matches, both home and away.

"Out with this incident, the Celtic support last night was phenomenal and I would like to thank our fans once again for their wonderful backing.

"Our fans have a tremendous record of positive support for the club at home and abroad, something that has been recognised by both UEFA and FIFA, and we are sure this will continue."

Celtic's outgoing chairman, Brian Quinn, condemned McHendry's behaviour as disgraceful.

But he added: "The contact made with the goalkeeper was minimal. His antics have to be taken into account as well."

Celtic fans have an outstanding record of good behaviour in Europe, and won a UEFA Fair Play award for their conduct in the run-up to the UEFA Cup Final in Seville in 2003.

But the club's good reputation may not save them from tough punishment by UEFA, who have hammered other teams in the past for misbehaviour by fans.

In 2004, Italian giants AS Roma had the book thrown at them over the actions of a fan who hit the referee on the head with a cigarette lighter during a Champions League game with Dinamo Kiev.

Roma were ordered to play their two other home games in the competition behind closed doors, and the game was awarded to Kiev with a 3-0 scoreline.

Two seasons ago, Inter Milan were forced to play four games behind closed doors and fined £132,000 after a flare hit Dida during a Champions League quarter-final against city rivals AC.

And this year, the Danish national team were ordered to play four home Euro 2008 qualifiers at least 250 kilometres from Copenhagen and fined £41,000 for a pitch invasion by a fan who assaulted the referee during a match against Sweden.

The game was awarded 3-0 to the Swedes.

The UEFA delegate at Parkhead on Wednesday, Andreas Akkelides, has confirmed to Celtic officials that McHendry's pitch invasion will be included in his match report.

Officials at the governing body will now decide how the club should be dealt with.

UEFA spokesman William Gaillard said: "One of our prosecutors will look at the report and decide whether to open an investigation.

"If he opens an investigation, it will be a week or two before the disciplinary body deals with the case.

"I don't want to presume anything. There is a whole range of possible punishments but of course there are precedents for the same kind of incidents."

Milan officials have helped Celtic by refusing to lodge a complaint about McHendry. Their decision means the result of the match is unlikely to be overturned.

Manager Carlo Ancelotti, who was clearly furious at Dida for his playacting, said of the incident: "It had nothing to do with the final result anyway."

Milan's Dutch midfielder, Clarence Seedorf, told of his admiration for the Celtic support and dismissed McHendry as an aberration.

He said: "Celtic fans are some of the greatest supporters I know."

Celtic hero Scott McDonald said his winner was the highlight of his career and pleaded with UEFA to show mercy.

He said: "I hope the authorities are lenient. It would be a tragedy if what happened affected the team."
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2007/10/05/drunken-celtic-fan-i-can-t-believe-what-i-ve-done-86908-19899285/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Cant believe he tried to sell his story to the papers....what a tube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Eirebhoy posted on the last page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7031107.stm

Dida condemned by team-mate Kaka

AC Milan star Kaka says team-mate Dida was "wrong" to react the way he did after being struck by a Celtic fan.

The goalkeeper collapsed dramatically after being hit in the face by the home supporter towards the end of Wednesday's 2-1 defeat at Celtic Park.

He was eventually stretchered off but has been criticised for overreacting.

"He made his choice and we will support him even though what he did was wrong. It was a difficult moment for him," Kaka told the club's official website.

"He had just let in a goal, then there was the slap from that fan."

As close as you could get to him saying that Dida was a fu**ing idiot without him actually saying that Dida was a fu**ing idiot. Fair play.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Yes but a cynical foul, ergo Cheating.

Well a cynical foul should be punished. But I'm talking about when a player goes down when little or no contact is made.

Robben-Riena situtation for example was just as bad as Dida's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

tdv wrote:
    Robben-Riena situtation for example was just as bad as Dida's.

No it wasn't. Whatever about trying to get a player sent off, trying to get the match abandoned/awarded to your team is taking things to a whole new level. Dida needs to be punished!

Breaking news on SSN...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Damn straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Nunu wrote:
    Breaking news on SSN...

what is the breaking news then?

Advertisement