Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You Call Yourself A Man, Dida?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Uefa have confirmed they have opened disciplinary proceedings against Milan and Dida following the incident involving the goalkeeper and a Celtic fan during last week's UEFA Champions League clash.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_2788915,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Well good. I hope Dida gets what's coming to him for such a stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dion Fanning with his usual nonsense:

"So Celtic prepare for their punishment and while the response of the rest of the Milan delegation has almost certainly prevented any drastic action, there is still the danger that they may have to play a game behind closed doors. Let's be clear, nobody wants that.

Of course it would rob Celtic of their famed support but more importantly it would leave 60,000 nationalists at a loose end on a big match night. Getting them to Parkhead at least gets them out of the pub. Keeping them there benefits no one."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

"Fanning" is pretty close to what I'd call him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

who does he write for?
    I cant believe the attitude some people have towards Celtic, especially in Dublin.

me and O'Donnell really struggled to find somewhere showing the Scottish Cup Final last year in the city, it was crazy.

anyway im not gonna get into the whole nationalist celtic debate, just sickens me that you cant move a step in Dublin without seeing an english football match somewhere......because theyre well known for their fans!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

UEFA are to investigate if Dida acted accorcing to "loyalty, integrity and sportmanship" - case too be heard on Thursday.

..."loyalty":confused:

Eirebear wrote:
    who does he write for?
    The Irish Independent. His father is the sports editor and his brother writes for them too. They despise Celtic. Peter Lawwell wrote a letter to his brother last year for abusing Celtic fans. They published his letter but no apology so Lawwell wouldn't let it drop.

Another piece:

"Instead he chose to collapse, aware perhaps that the game could be abandoned and seemingly unconcerned about the result his actions would have on the 60,000 in the stands nursing many race grievances, the effects of several pints and the endorphins following the winning goal."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/the-stench-of-cynical-cheating-reeks-more-than-idiotic-passion-1117018.html

eirebhoy wrote:
    The Irish Independent. His father is the sports editor and his brother writes for them too. They despise Celtic. Peter Lawwell wrote a letter to his brother last year for abusing Celtic fans. They published his letter but no apology so Lawwell wouldn't let it drop.

Another piece:

"Instead he chose to collapse, aware perhaps that the game could be abandoned and seemingly unconcerned about the result his actions would have on the 60,000 in the stands nursing many race grievances, the effects of several pints and the endorphins following the winning goal."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/the-stench-of-cynical-cheating-reeks-more-than-idiotic-passion-1117018.html

sounds like a nice fella! ;)
    Just kiddin...maybe we could get him and graeme Spiers together, they could sort out the old firm together! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

This is the first sensible move ive seen out of either UEFA or FIFA in many years.

It has long bewildered me as to how uefa and fifa have been so inept at stamping out players diving and feigning injury when the solution is so ****ing blindingly obvious. If they were to bring in a 3 match ban for any player deemed to have dived or tried to deceived the referee by feigning injury, the problem would be stamped out overnight. Of course the likes of ronaldo and drogba are gonna try and win penalties and get players sent off, because the worst case scenario for them is a yellow card.

Anyway this finally looks to be a step in the right direction i.e analysing video footage of an incident and (hopefully) banning the player in question. 6 match ban for dida i say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Eirebear wrote:
    who does he write for?
    I cant believe the attitude some people have towards Celtic, especially in Dublin.

me and O'Donnell really struggled to find somewhere showing the Scottish Cup Final last year in the city, it was crazy.

anyway im not gonna get into the whole nationalist celtic debate, just sickens me that you cant move a step in Dublin without seeing an english football match somewhere......because theyre well known for their fans!:p

So it sickens you to know that the Premiership is by far more popular over here than another foreign league? I can't think of any reason for holding such an opinion other than some tiresomely antiquated grievances about 'the Brits'.

• Advertisement

So it sickens you to know that the Premiership is by far more popular over here than another foreign league? I can't think of any reason for holding such an opinion other than some tiresomely antiquated grievances about 'the Brits'.

yawn... i knew even swamped in sarcasm and written in a good nature it would get a rise out of someone..
    I said i wasnt gonna get into that debate pal.
    And my "antiquated grievances" are more about the english rather than the brits...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

yawn indeed, how many times do we see people throw out idiotic statements, preceded by 'I'm not going to get into a debate on this, BUT..'

If you don't want a debate then keeping your silly opinions to yourself would be a good start. Written in good nature may be your opinion, but dripping in bigotry is how it reads.

copacetic wrote:
    yawn indeed, how many times do we see people throw out idiotic statements, preceded by 'I'm not going to get into a debate on this, BUT..'

If you don't want a debate then keeping your silly opinions to yourself would be a good start. Written in good nature may be your opinion, but dripping in bigotry is how it reads.

Good god man, "dripping in bigotry?" It was a fecking joke!
    But if you do want to get into it....
    Were the reactions we got when looking for a pub to watch a game in not the same? "no we dont show the game because Celtic fans cause too much trouble"
    "All the rioters during the "love ulster" parade were wearing Celtic tops, so no we rather not show it"

I'm no Celtic fan BTW...but i felt slightly aggrieved that this was how scottish football fans were seen in general within Dublin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

copacetic wrote:
    ... but dripping in bigotry is how it reads.
    :D:D:D "dripping in bigotry"? :D:D:D LOL

Is there a bit of his post that I missed? Where's the bigotry? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Eirebear wrote:
    Were the reactions we got when looking for a pub to watch a game in not the same? "no we dont show the game because Celtic fans cause too much trouble"
    "All the rioters during the "love ulster" parade were wearing Celtic tops, so no we rather not show it"

I'm no Celtic fan BTW...but i felt slightly aggrieved that this was how scottish football fans were seen in general within Dublin.

So, did they say Scottish football fans, or Celtic supporters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

DSB wrote:
    I did. But I still gathered that he was slightly serious. Maybe I'm wrong it was just how it appeared.

I was serious as a long time fan of Milan (after Pats)
    every time I see dida in a milan jersey it pisses me off
    was decent in 2003 but since than has been the worse keeper at a top eurpean club.
    Winning the CL with him in goal last seaosn was the equivalent of a boxer winning the title with one hand tied behind his back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Nunu wrote: »
    Not a hope.
    I'd be amazed if anything other than a heavy fine was given to Celtic. They and their fans have an excellent record in the eyes of Uefa so, this is a first breach as such for them.

I'll guess a fine of around €50,000 and a threat of 'behind closed doors' home games if anything like it happens again.

I wasn't too far off with my predicted fine;)

Celtic are fined €35,000, half of it is suspended.

Dida banned for 2 games.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=601616.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Very good news for Celtic fans. I think UEFA actually used common sense on this one! :eek:

I wonder will Dida's suspension actually help Milan in their next 2 games?! :D

Sensible decision. The stewards were occupied with the fans going mental in the corner and UEFA obviously used common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well done UEFA. Gotta say, I expected a heavier punishment for Celtic and nothing much for Dida, but they've done the right thing.

• Advertisement

Pretty much as expected then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im a bit surprised that Celtic have gotten off much much lighter then Dida. Im sure most clubs would be happy to actually just Pay that much money (barely even a slap on the wrist) for a competitors first choice keeper to be ruled out.

Delighted Dida got the 2 game suspension anyway, maybe this will be the start of a real clamp down on this carry on. Surprised the fine for celtic wasn't more (suspending half of it even!). Great result for the bhoys, congrats!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Im a bit surprised that Celtic have gotten off much much lighter then Dida. Im sure most clubs would be happy to actually just Pay that much money (barely even a slap on the wrist) for a competitors first choice keeper to be ruled out.

Delighted Dida got the 2 game suspension anyway, maybe this will be the start of a real clamp down on this carry on. Surprised the fine for celtic wasn't more (suspending half of it even!). Great result for the bhoys, congrats!

Ive been thinking about the Dida thing. And before everyone shoots off at me (again) I will state that Dida deserves everything he gets.

But did it affect the outcome of the game?
    I ask because of the booking that Davie Weir recieved against Lyon as the result of a blatant Juninho dive.
    Uefa looked at it but refused to either rescind the card, or punish Juninho for the dive as "it didnt affect the outcome of the game".

When does cheating become acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

A good result for Celtic, a better outcome that i thought. Sad to hear about dida been banned for two games though. Personally I think the man is a beacon of honesty and decency. I particularly admire the way he dealt with that Mike Tyson type punch to his upper body with such grace and honour. Shame on UEFA for taking his good character :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Eirebear wrote: »
    When does cheating become acceptable?

About ten years ago.

Unless UEFA have evidence that Dida informed the medical staff he was "at it" while they were on the pitch, I think Milan have been a little hard done by. Dida's ban is a punishment for the club more than the player, or at very least as much the club as the player. A large fine for him would have been a personal punishment.
    Celtic meanwhile, get fined about the same amount as the extra stewards they obviously needed would have cost. Therefore no real punishment at all.
    A much lighter sentence than for similar transgressions at other clubs' grounds.
    I think Celtic were extremely fortunate that Dida reacted as he did. If he'd taken to his heels towards the centre circle & told the ref what happened, I suspect the punishment would have been much, much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

big b wrote: »
    Unless UEFA have evidence that Dida informed the medical staff he was "at it" while they were on the pitch, I think Milan have been a little hard done by.

Well UEFA asked Milan for clarification over why their felled goalkeeper went off on a stretcher with an ice-pack to his face when he was barely brushed on the shoulder, and I suspect they couldn't give them an answer.

I really didn't expect common sense to prevail in this one, delighted that it did. Although Milan are appealing the punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Well UEFA asked Milan for clarification over why their felled goalkeeper went off on a stretcher with an ice-pack to his face when he was barely brushed on the shoulder, and I suspect they couldn't give them an answer.

I really didn't expect common sense to prevail in this one, delighted that it did. Although Milan are appealing the punishment.

Yeah
    They reckon he should have got at least 6 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I wouldn't be suprised if Didas ban is suspended on Milans appeal, which would be most disappointing

• Advertisement

Unless UEFA have evidence that Dida informed the medical staff he was "at it" while they were on the pitch, I think Milan have been a little hard done by. Dida's ban is a punishment for the club more than the player, or at very least as much the club as the player. A large fine for him would have been a personal punishment.
    Celtic meanwhile, get fined about the same amount as the extra stewards they obviously needed would have cost. Therefore no real punishment at all.
    A much lighter sentence than for similar transgressions at other clubs' grounds.
    I think Celtic were extremely fortunate that Dida reacted as he did. If he'd taken to his heels towards the centre circle & told the ref what happened, I suspect the punishment would have been much, much worse.

That's like saying players shouldn't be given suspensions after getting sent off. Fines mean nothing to these players. The only way to truly punish a player is by restricting them from playing. Milan could fine him 2 weeks wages aswell if they wanted.

Milan are really sending some mixed signals out here. clicky

They'll most likely get Dida off on appeal which will be an absolute disgrace. :(

An Citeog wrote: »
    That's like saying players shouldn't be given suspensions after getting sent off. (

Reasonable point.
    But what I was getting at is that whilst Celtic receive only a token financial penalty for allowing the incident to happen in the first place - a penalty which will make 0% difference to the result of their next 2 matches - Milan are receiving a much harsher penalty, which will impact very much on their next 2 games.
    Dida's behaviour was disgraceful- no argument there. But if the idiot hadn't got on the pitch in the first place...........

The punishments still seem a bit lop-sided to me. Fining Milan for poor sportsmanship would have been more even, and more fair.

Reasonable point.
    But what I was getting at is that whilst Celtic receive only a token financial penalty for allowing the incident to happen in the first place - a penalty which will make 0% difference to the result of their next 2 matches - Milan are receiving a much harsher penalty, which will impact very much on their next 2 games.
    Dida's behaviour was disgraceful- no argument there. But if the idiot hadn't got on the pitch in the first place...........

The punishments still seem a bit lop-sided to me. Fining Milan for poor sportsmanship would have been more even, and more fair.

The odd streaker/stray fan gets on the pitch all the time. Celtic were fined for failing to control their fans. What Dida did though is a very rare occurrence and one which UEFA seem to have taken a very dim view of. They've just decided to make an example of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Great result for Celtic, but UEFA let Milan down

Article in todays (Glasgow) Herald

Advertisement