Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip off home prices in crime ridden areas

• 03-10-2007 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

anyone think it's interesting that the shooting of Paul Sherlock occurred in stones throw of brand new (expensive) apartment development by Crosbie Holdings where the units are mad expensive? i mean this is an area where robbed cars are dumped on a regular basis. would you like to leave your gaffe and even hear a gun shot after paying over the hilt for the place? I mean look at the new property on sale in the Finglas area. cheaper than in Terenure for sure, but still over the margin for people on an average income in an area where gang crime is rampant. maybe if the prices came down more due to crime developers would add pressure to their Government buddies for more gardai and resources to get rid of scum. - just a thought!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

define what crime is?

I am sure people in upper class Dublin areas have been involved in crime of some sort.

WTF are you talking about?..........."Crime ridden"??????

Will ya snap out of it. With any luck, everyone else will see through the absolute bollox you're talking and this thread will die.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Are these apartments in this lively Dublin suburb of "Gangland" I've been hearing so much about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Someone's been watching a little too much Police Academy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

i bought a house for €750k and one week after i moved in, a kid stole the milk carton from my doorstep. We'll i sold the house straight away, i didn't know it was fecking Baghdad i was moving into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nowhere in Dublin can claim to be "safe" anymore. Ever since the scum got money, they just bought houses in the nice areas, and now they get shot there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Hack wrote:
    anyone think it's interesting that the shooting of Paul Sherlock occurred in stones throw of brand new (expensive) apartment development by Crosbie Holdings where the units are mad expensive? i mean this is an area where robbed cars are dumped on a regular basis. would you like to leave your gaffe and even hear a gun shot after paying over the hilt for the place? I mean look at the new property on sale in the Finglas area. cheaper than in Terenure for sure, but still over the margin for people on an average income in an area where gang crime is rampant. maybe if the prices came down more due to crime developers would add pressure to their Government buddies for more gardai and resources to get rid of scum. - just a thought!

The real issue imo is that people are dumb enough to buy outrageously priced homes, especially now that the housing bubble is deflating....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

seamus wrote:
    Nowhere in Dublin can claim to be "safe" anymore. Ever since the scum got money, they just bought houses in the nice areas, and now they get shot there.

actually I blame the Luas it made it easier for them to get from A to B without having to rely on a dublin bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

There are criminals on both sides of the tracks... some just hide it better than others....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Will ya snap out of it. With any luck, everyone else will see through the absolute bollox you're talking and this thread will die.

Finglas native detected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Finglas native detected.

Your point ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Hack wrote:
    anyone think it's interesting that the shooting of Paul Sherlock occurred in stones throw of brand new (expensive) apartment development by Crosbie Holdings where the units are mad expensive? i mean this is an area where robbed cars are dumped on a regular basis. would you like to leave your gaffe and even hear a gun shot after paying over the hilt for the place? ...
    Ah right so Ted. This is the same development that is a 5 min walk from the IFSC in the city centre? And by "mad expensive" you mean 100K cheaper than by the equivalent in the IFSC and 150-200K cheaper than Ringend/Irishtown?

Have you been to the area? Seriously - have you actually been? I'll wager you haven't, as you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Does the OP's name not tell you anything? That, & the fact that they have only 4 posts to date.

Most likely this thread was started by some journo to get a few quotes for an article without having to bother to get off their barstool. Don't encourage them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I think its very interesting indeed....Yes very. Quote that mister reporter man. Angry with 1 n.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

I think what the op means is that areas like Finglas have much more crime than areas such as Terenure. This is in all fairness a sad but true fact, however i don't really see the point of the post, houses in this country are overpriced across the board, not just in certain areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

These "crime ridden" areas can often be safer places to live as the scum don't tend to sh1t on their own doorsteps

fletch wrote:
    These "crime ridden" areas can often be safer places to live as the scum don't tend to sh1t on their own doorsteps

Oh yes they do ! They're scum after all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

fletch wrote:

Excuse me. Are you serious.

Would you like your child to grow up in that area ?
    I hope you don't expect me to answer this.

Finglas native detected.

Incorrect. I'm actually from Summerhill. I now live in Santry. In what way, if any, does the area from which i come detract from the fact that the OP is spouting unsubstantiated, inaccurate "facts" about somewhere that, as has been pointed out, he/she has most likely never even visited.

I know people from that area (Gaelic st., Ossory Rd., East Wall etc.) and they are genuine, honest, hard-working individuals. As with any other area though, there are a few bad apples. Broad, sweeping statements like "robbed cars are dumped regularly" and "gang crime is rampant" say a lot more about the OP than they do about The Strand, Finglas etc.

Ill-informed, unwarranted verbal diarrhoea (sp?).

As I said earlier, I hoped this thread will die. I felt it necessary to come back her now to respond to your comment, as it's neither helpful nor funny.

I know people from that area (Gaelic st., Ossory Rd., East Wall etc.) and they are genuine, honest, hard-working individuals. As with any other area though, there are a few bad apples.

There are more "bad apples" in certain areas. Of course there are decent hard working people in the areas you've mentioned, but that doesn't change the fact that these areas also contain alot of scum. It's sad but unfortunately true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i saw an episode of the shield where one of the police chiefs was reducing police patrols in bad areas so the house prices went down and then buying all the houses so he could send in his task force to clean the area up and make a killing on the houses when the value increased.

Thats the only logical explanation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think its very interesting indeed....Yes very. Quote that mister reporter man. Angry with 1 n.
    :D That made me laugh

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hopalong85 wrote:
    I think what the op means is that areas like Finglas have much more crime than areas such as Terenure. This is in all fairness a sad but true fact, however i don't really see the point of the post, houses in this country are overpriced across the board, not just in certain areas.
    #

i bought a house in Finglas 3 years and i havent seen any crime to speak off - i am tired of the Finglas Bashing. At the moment you cant turn on the radio with hearing that someone was shot, stabbed, robbed in Swords - does anyone actually turn around and say that Swords is crime riddin? well do they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

irishbird wrote:
    does anyone actually turn around and say that Swords is crime riddin? well do they ?

they wont if they know whats good for em! if ya get me drift.

irishbird wrote:
    #

i bought a house in Finglas 3 years and i havent seen any crime to speak off - i am tired of the Finglas Bashing. At the moment you cant turn on the radio with hearing that someone was shot, stabbed, robbed in Swords - does anyone actually turn around and say that Swords is crime riddin? well do they ?

Who is bashing Finglas? You can turn on the radio without hearing that someone has been shot, stabbed etc., in Swords. All i'm saying is that crime figures in Finglas are higher than crime figures in areas such as Terenure. That isn't Finglas "bashing". That is just the way it is.

hopalong85 wrote:
    Who is bashing Finglas? You can turn on the radio without hearing that someone has been shot, stabbed etc., in Swords. All i'm saying is that crime figures in Finglas are higher than crime figures in areas such as Terenure. That isn't Finglas "bashing". That is just the way it is.

If you're going to say that then provide the statistics otherwise your post is meaningless at worst anecdotal at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

hopalong85 wrote:
    There are more "bad apples" in certain areas. Of course there are decent hard working people in the areas you've mentioned, but that doesn't change the fact that these areas also contain alot of scum. It's sad but unfortunately true.
    I live on Ossory Road, and there is no "scum" living there. Care to prove you're comment that it's true?

Crime stats for Grafton Street are very high - is anyone living there scum?

Your argument holds as much weight as a wet paper bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Sister-in-law is from Ossary Road and neither her or any of her family are scum/involved in drugs/crime. (That I know of!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If you're going to say that then provide the statistics otherwise your post is meaningless at worst anecdotal at best.

i have to agree totally with Slow Mo, where is your evidence to back this up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I can't believe there are people looking for evidence that the crime rate is higher in Finglas as opposed to Ternure.

Can someone provide me figures show that Iraq is any less safe than Ireland?

Excuse me. Are you serious.

Would you like your child to grow up in that area ?
    I hope you don't expect me to answer this.
    Well the types of crime/anti-social behaviour certainly differs. I'm from an area that wouldn't be regarded as "crime ridden" however my boyfriend is from an area that would be described as such. I've never heard of a car/house being broken into in his estate whereas quite the contrary in my estate. On the flip side, every day I drive in his estate I see people sitting around doing nothing knocking back cans of beer, however I never see this in my estate. Which is better I'm not quite sure.

Who do you think is stealing the cars? Surely not the lads standing around drinking cans?

SheroN wrote:
    I can't believe there are people looking for evidence that the crime rate is higher in Finglas as opposed to Ternure.

Can someone provide me figures show that Iraq is any less safe than Ireland?

Read the post I quoted, I simply asked for the data to back up their statment otherwise it is just an opinion and not a well informed one. If I was to state to you that Iraq was less safe than Ireland then you would be quite right to ask me to provide the relevant statistics to support my argument and if I couldn't you would be right to point that out. What's your problem with that ?

SheroN wrote:
    Who do you think is stealing the cars? Surely not the lads standing around drinking cans?
    I'm pretty sure they are the guys stealin cars/robbing houses(I know I couldn't afford to be standing around all day doing nothing other than drinking).....however they don't rob from their own estates. I never actually see them causing trouble while drinking....I don't know which way I'm swaying, just providing my observations.

If people were to apply your logic to every day life. Simple everyday tasks would take about 100 times longer to complete. ....

For example, purchasing a jar of coffee:

The coffee says made in Brazil Mr. Shopkeeper, but untill you can show me undeniable proof of how the coffee was manufactured in Brazil, then I will disregard what you're saying.....as it is merely an opinion.....

It's an internet forumn, yon can't expect people to go digging up facts and figures to back up every single point they make . Especially about things that are pretty clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

House prices are based of location and with most of finglas being less then a 30mins bus journey to the city centre it is a prime location.

There are developers who are changing the area a lot but it will take time.
    It certainly is not as bad as what it was like in the 80s when i was growing up there but there is a lot more on the news about the place and with the type of sensational reporting that goes on all the good work, community and the positives of living there are never reported.

SheroN wrote:
    It's an internet forumn, yon can't expect people to go digging up facts and figures to back up every single point they make . Especially about things that are pretty clear cut.

Your kidding right ? The internet is a pretty good place to go digging up facts to support your argument, government sites such as the CSO etc. And when I'm buying coffee I tend to look for the fair trade sign which does verify that the coffee was bought from a reliable and fair source.

Is there doubt in your mind as to whether Finglas is less safe than Ternure? As you hinting at that it might not be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Look: We all know Finglas is well dodgy compared to Terenure. Certainly it's not a very pretty place to live, and there are lots of "scumbags". However I would agree it's probably no problem to live there "crime free" depending on what estate you live in.

Back to the original point: If you choose to pay X to live in an area which is dodgy, you have no one to blame but yourself.

For the record, I lived on Blessington Street (top of O'Connell Street) for two years but never experienced any crime. However, I saw it going on all around me. Hence it was a crime ridden area full of scumbags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I think the OP's point is actually a whinge at the fact that they cant afford any kind of property anywhere.They feel that areas that *they* consider to be beneath them as a place to live should be available to them at a knock-down price.I live in finglas and the amount of development thats going on at the moment is unreal.The houses and apartments are finished to a very high standard,you're 20 minutes from the City Centre,access to the airport,m50,shops,QBC..the lot.Obviously the prices arent quite what they would be in terenure or donnybrook but what building is going on out there?People would be and ARE happy to live in an area that ticks so many boxes and the prices are going to reflect that when people stop talking out of thier bloody arses and wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

SheroN wrote:
    Is there doubt in your mind as to whether Finglas is less safe than Ternure? As you hinting at that it might not be?

What is safe tho?

Your person?

Your Car?

Your house?

If i live in Ternure I'm more worried about having my house broken into than I am in finglas.

If i live in Ternure I'm more worried about having my car stolen than I am in Finglas.

If I was walking through both areas late at night there's as much chance in both areas of something "bad" happening.

these are my opinions i don't have link after link after link of facts.

What are you basing the fact that terenure is SAFER on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

ntlbell wrote:
    What is safe tho?

Your person?

Your Car?

Your house?

If i live in Ternure I'm more worried about having my house broken into than I am in finglas.

If i live in Ternure I'm more worried about having my car stolen than I am in Finglas.

If I was walking through both areas late at night there's as much chance in both areas of something "bad" happening.

these are my opinions i don't have link after link after link of facts.

What are you basing the fact that terenure is SAFER on?

maybe you could base it on crime statistics

I've been to Finglas. It's a horrible hole. There are skangers everywhere. I have grown up expecting skangers to do bad things. After all, people with college degrees rarely rob banks or steal cars. Skangers don't have college degrees.

Finglas has loads of council houses. Terenure has very few council houses. It's not unheard of that criminals have a tendency to be from council houses.

Ask any Garda which is the nicer area, Finglas or Terenure, and he'll laugh.

Rob_l wrote:
    maybe you could base it on crime statistics

you could indeed.

So lets have a look at the amount of cars stolen in both areas.

how do we know who stole the car?

is a car stolen in terneure by a two guys from finglas a finglas statistic or a terneure one?

house break ins? who did the crime? where's the statistic?

If we take tallaght a poppulation of over 180k one of the biggest housing estates in europe much bigger target a lot more cars a lot more houses

per head?

do you own a house ? did you purchase it based on these statistics? if you don't will these statistics come into your purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

ntlbell wrote:
    you could indeed.

So lets have a look at the amount of cars stolen in both areas.

how do we know who stole the car?

is a car stolen in terneure by a two guys from finglas a finglas statistic or a terneure one?

house break ins? who did the crime? where's the statistic?

If we take tallaght a poppulation of over 180k one of the biggest housing estates in europe much bigger target a lot more cars a lot more houses

per head?

do you own a house ? did you purchase it based on these statistics? if you don't will these statistics come into your purchase?

it doesn't matter who stole it and where they are from

the statistics for each area is what we need and I believe you will find a higher rate of crime in finglas nay I know you will

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

dublindude wrote:
    I've been to Finglas. It's a horrible hole. There are skangers everywhere. I have grown up expecting skangers to do bad things. After all, people with college degrees rarely rob banks or steal cars. Skangers don't have college degrees.

Finglas has loads of council houses. Terenure has very few council houses. It's not unheard of that criminals have a tendency to be from council houses.

Ask any Garda which is the nicer area, Finglas or Terenure, and he'll laugh.

Ever lived in an area that students live?These people are training to get college degrees,tend not to live in "council areas" and yet will quite happily kick the mirrors off your cars when coming home from the pub.I work in a place where people you call "skangers" train to earn college degrees,they work as hard as thier more "privileged" contempories and in many cases are much less obnoxious people.People who commit crime are scumbags no matter what socio-economic niche they occupy.

Absolute snobbery of the highest order.

Finglas = skangers.........eh?
    To American people, Irish = Alcoholic wife beater. So, Dublin dude, how are your knuckles from punching women around?

There's a bit of living in denial going on here.

Anyone with an interest in Irish crime (such as me) knows a very large percentage of Irish criminals come from Finglas.

People who are skangers or come from poverty or are lacking education are (generally) the people who commit crimes... it's not snobbery to think this. It's called living in the real world.

Rob_l wrote:
    it doesn't matter who stole it and where they are from

the statistics for each area is what we need and I believe you will find a higher rate of crime in finglas nay I know you will

I would wager that in the stats for stolen cars

For the whole of Dublin Finglas wouldn't be in the top 5.

For house break ins same thing.

for generally nitty anti social behaviour you may find it up there.

The real criminals in this country are not in finglas. they're in foxrock....blackrock....terenure....rathfarnham...rathgar......

:rolleyes:

I can only presume you aren't serious? I'm not sure if such statistics are available and if they are i have absolutely no idea how one would go about obtaining them. Are they really necessary though? My opinion is that Finglas is a more dangerous area than Terenure, and one i would feel far less safe in. I presume you disagree with this? As i've said i don't know any official crime statistics for these areas but i'd be willing to bet almost anything that Finglas has the higher crime rates.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement