Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip off home prices in crime ridden areas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ntlbell wrote:
    The real criminals in this country are not in finglas. they're in foxrock....blackrock....terenure....rathfarnham...rathgar......

:rolleyes:

LOL. This is just getting really silly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

dublindude wrote:
    There's a bit of living in denial going on here.

Anyone with an interest in Irish crime (such as me) knows a very large percentage of Irish criminals come from Finglas.

People who are skangers or come from poverty or are lacking education are (generally) the people who commit crimes... it's not snobbery to think this. It's called living in the real world.

and people with degree's from non council estates who own legitimate buisness's have the brains to launder money?

can get up millions of euro's to bring in coke?

live in terenure?

scumbagness has very little to do with education my friend!
    LOL

dublindude wrote:
    LOL. This is just getting really silly now.

where did the general live? ;)

hutch?

the list is endless....

ntlbell wrote:
    and people with degree's from non council estates who own legitimate buisness's have the brains to launder money?

can get up millions of euro's to bring in coke?

live in terenure?

scumbagness has very little to do with education my friend!
    LOL

I think it is fair to say we are not talking about white collar crime. Yes everyone knows it requires a brain and possibly an education to launder money.

I would imagine most people, including me, are talking about anti-social behavior, vandalism, getting robbed, getting beaten up, cars being lit on fire, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

dublindude wrote:
    Anyone with an interest in Irish crime (such as me) knows a very large percentage of Irish criminals come from Finglas.

People who are skangers or come from poverty or are lacking education are (generally) the people who commit crimes... it's not snobbery to think this. It's called living in the real world.

What pecentage? Define 'large'.

Btw also could you please define 'skanger'?

I hate people who call all working class people skangers. My girlfriend bought a house in Finglas a few years ago. She has never had a mintes bother. In fact she's often had touble with her car etc and if any of the neighbours see this they immediately help her. How many people in the so called 'non skanger' areas do you see rushing out to help someone change a tire or start their car?

I don't mean working class. I mean lads in tracksuits who are clearly dodgy.

Remember this topic is about "crime ridden" areas and people are trying to suggest Finglas (lots of council houses) is a "less crime ridden area" than Terenure.

Skangers are generally from council houses. They are not from Blackrock or Foxrock etc.

Yes, there are of course some scumbag idiots from Blackrock or Foxrock, but in general, there aren't criminals from these areas.

dublindude wrote:
    I think it is fair to say we are not talking about white collar crime. Yes everyone knows it requires a brain and possibly an education to launder money.

I would imagine most people, including me, are talking about anti-social behavior, vandalism, getting robbed, getting beaten up, cars being lit on fire, etc.

ah ok so bringing millions of euro's worth of heroin on to the streets to kids in disadvatgaed area's can spend the day out of their mind on heroin leading to robbing some aul dears hand bag causing the sort of crime apparently your only discussing now as it suits you.

ah sure ignore the real reason, they drive there merc live in a nice estate and their kids get a nice private education there grand like it's the 14yr old celtic jersey wearing anto in finglas i want to pick on.

dublindude wrote:
    I don't mean working class. I mean lads in tracksuits who are clearly dodgy.

I work in an office all day and in the evening if i have nothing doing I often stick a tracksuit and runners on for lounging about. Am I a skanger? I probably look every bit as 'dodgy' as the so called scumbags you refer to but have never been in trouble or caused trouble in my life.

I am still awaiting statistics on the 'large' number of criminals from Finglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

"How many people in the so called 'non skanger' areas do you see rushing out to help someone change a tire or start their car?"

Untill you can give me facts and figures this is merely an opinion. Are you saying people in "non-skanger" areas are less helpful?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    ah ok so bringing millions of euro's worth of heroin on to the streets to kids in disadvatgaed area's can spend the day out of their mind on heroin leading to robbing some aul dears hand bag causing the sort of crime apparently your only discussing now as it suits you.

ah sure ignore the real reason, they drive there merc live in a nice estate and their kids get a nice private education there grand like it's the 14yr old celtic jersey wearing anto in finglas i want to pick on.

How many people are there bringing in millions of euro's worth of heroin?

A handful?

How many people commit anti-social crimes, robberies, etc.?

LOADS.

dublindude wrote:
    Yes, there are of course some scumbag idiots from Blackrock or Foxrock, but in general, there aren't criminals from these areas.

To be completely honest I'd prefer to i've beside an honest, hard working guy who'd always stop for a chat and help you out than some over self important clown who'd look own his nose at you and wouldn't bother to ring an ambulance if you were dying on the street.

Also still awaiting a definition for 'skanger'

dublindude wrote:

Petty criminals in finglas are generally for the most part not comitting crime in Finglas which was my oringal point.

Why do 6 months for a micra when you can do 6 months for a 5 series 3 stripe BMW from terneure? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My local rag regularly reports on court cases in Kilcock court.

Quite a lot of the crimes (assault mainly) are comitted by students who can fork out €1,000 in compensation for their victim.

Educated wealthy people guilty of assault?
    Surely not.

Most of the people I know who have done time or ended up on gear were from middle class families.

I'm from a council estate and not one of the people I grew up with on the estate has ever seen the inside of a court room and they all have fairly decent jobs today.
    Believe me, they all grew up in families who struggled to get by in the 80's.

dublindude wrote:
    How many people are there bringing in millions of euro's worth of heroin?

A handful?

How many people commit anti-social crimes, robberies, etc.?

LOADS.

how many of the anti-social crimes robberies muggings etc are comitted due to heroin addictions?

SheroN wrote:
    Are you saying people in "non-skanger" areas are less helpful?

Yes. I know plenty of people renting in so called 'non skanger' areas and their neighbours wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

EDIT: To expand on this I rent a small ex council house in the inner city of Dublin. Very few of the original tenants are left. Most bought their houses years ago and sold up, moved out and 'trendy' couples and young people have moved in. the few remaining 'local' people always say hello stop for a chat etc. The 'newer' arrivals would look at you as if you've shot them if you say hello and regularly block cars in without even having the curtosy to leave a note on their windscreen saying which house they are in. Put it this way if you ask me who i prefer living alongside I'd definately say the type of peple the likes of dublindude would refer to as 'skangers' any day of the week.

• Advertisement

To be completely honest I'd prefer to i've beside an honest, hard working guy who'd always stop for a chat and help you out than some over self important clown who'd look own his nose at you and wouldn't bother to ring an ambulance if you were dying on the street.

LOL, I love this reasoning. Yes, you have to be from a council estate to be chatty and friendly, or at least, not from a "nice area".

There's nothing wrong with being from Finglas, or enjoying living there, but to say it has less crime or less criminals than an area like Terenure is very strange. Or at least, very dilusional.

Yes, it's the students and the middle class people commiting all the crimes! LOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Yes. I know plenty of people renting in so called 'non skanger' areas and their neighbours wouldn't piss on them iff they were on fire.

True.I lived in Drumcondra for five years,my ex had two cars stolen,mirrors were being kicked off cars every night,windows were often smashed,the neighbours wouldnt even say hello to you and greedy bastard landlords crammed people into tiny flats and charged the bloody earth for it.
    BTW there are VERY few "posh" areas that dont have a "scumbag" area within pissing distance of it.Killiney,Monkstown,Terenure,Foxrock..are all located near council areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

"Yes. I know plenty of people renting in so called 'non skanger' areas and their neighbours wouldn't piss on them iff they were on fire."

And I think I'd feel a lot safer living in Ternure than living in finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The fact that there are often armed gardai in that area, and that several people have been shot or murdered in and around that area would indicate to me that it is a dodgy area. I also used to work in that area and saw a lot of anti social activity.

Even the children around there have a bad name. My friend lives in a private estate in east wall and the brats come in and break down the tree in her front garden - she asked them to stop it and one of them came over and kicked her in the shin. That's a mark of a great area when small children have absolutely zero respect for adults, isn't it? :rolleyes:

The apartments look nice but the view is disgusting, such a horrible run down area, and on one side your view is the train-wash in Connolly station!

They have a f*cking cheek to call it a desirable place to live.

eth0_ wrote:
    The fact that there are often armed gardai in that area, and that several people have been shot or murdered in and around that area would indicate to me that it is a dodgy area. I also used to work in that area and saw a lot of anti social activity.

Even the children around there have a bad name. My friend lives in a private estate in east wall and the brats come in and break down the tree in her front garden - she asked them to stop it and one of them came over and kicked her in the shin. That's a mark of a great area when small children have absolutely zero respect for adults, isn't it? :rolleyes:

The apartments look nice but the view is disgusting, such a horrible run down area, and on one side your view is the train-wash in Connolly station!

They have a f*cking cheek to call it a desirable place to live.

Did you know, all the crimes in that area are being done by the people who bought the apartments. Thank god there are working class people nearby to call the ambulances and have a friendly chat when someone gets hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

ntlbell wrote:
    I would wager that in the stats for stolen cars

For the whole of Dublin Finglas wouldn't be in the top 5.

For house break ins same thing.

for generally nitty anti social behaviour you may find it up there.

The real criminals in this country are not in finglas. they're in foxrock....blackrock....terenure....rathfarnham...rathgar......

:rolleyes:

Excellent social commentary:rolleyes: but lets stick to the facts eh

dublindude wrote:
    LOL, I love this reasoning. Yes, you have to be from a council estate to be chatty and friendly, or at least, not from a "nice area".

Never said that.

My logic was that (in my opinion and from my experience) people from the so called 'not so nice areas' are far more down to earth. A lot of the 'nicer areas' are full of spawns of the celtic tiger (egotistical, overly self important clowns with no interets in anyone but themselves). As I said in an earlier post the type of people who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

dublindude wrote:
    Did you know, all the crimes in that area are being done by the people who bought the apartments.

What are you talking about?
    Those apartments have barely anyone moved in yet - a friend of mine bought one and his isn't even ready yet.

Who committed the crimes is beside the point - I don't really care if it was my neighbour who shot someone dead outside my apartment block, i'd still be horrified and want to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Terry wrote:
    I'm from a council estate and not one of the people I grew up with on the estate has ever seen the inside of a court room and they all have fairly decent jobs today.
    Believe me, they all grew up in families who struggled to get by in the 80's.

QFT, I am from Finglas not that it matters, we could be talking about ballymun, ballyfermot whatever, and not one of the friends I grew up with has ever had a brush with the law, they all work crontribute and to society. So where does that leave us ? Crime is everwhere ! Skangers are everywhere ! Decent law abiding citizens are everywhere, go figure !

Rob_l wrote:
    Excellent social commentary:rolleyes: but lets stick to the facts eh
    once you show me some..

eth0_ wrote:
    Those apartments have barely anyone moved in yet - a friend of mine bought one and his isn't even ready yet.

Who committed the crimes is beside the point - I don't really care if it was my neighbour who shot someone dead outside my apartment block, i'd still be horrified and want to move.

I was joking :)

Sorry, should have added a /sarcasm tag

dublindude wrote:
    Did you know, all the crimes in that area are being done by the people who bought the apartments. Thank god there are working class people nearby to call the ambulances and have a friendly chat when someone gets hurt.

Do you know,you havnt got the faintest idea what you're talking about.A council estate does not mean everybody in it is a scumbag.Some people are and many people are not.I much prefer living in a working class area to a brand-new apartment block sub-letted to christ knows who and from where.Developers buy 40% of new builds and let them out to asylum seekers,drug dealers,undesirables,it doesnt matter as long as they get paid.There will never be a sense of community in apartment blocks.I wish you well in choosing your location when,if ever you can afford to buy your own house.I can almost guarantee that a three bed with a 60ft back garden and neighbours who look out for you will never happen.

eth0_ wrote:

well then soon your going to have to move to the moon.

as you're eventually going to be shocked in every surburb in Ireland.

poor little thing ya.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

LOL @ this thread :D :rolleyes:

Google 'crime terenure' and you get f**k all. The folks in Terenure are mainly worried about this:

"The problems raised by residents include litter, traffic, the proposed skateboard park - a discussion which became very heated - and the development plan for Terenure village."

http://www.johngormley.com/wp/category/dublin-south-east/terenure/

Try 'crime finglas' and you get:
    A 24-year-old man has been injured in a shooting incident in North Dublin. The man was standing in a laneway at the back of Fairlawn Park in Finglas at around 9.30pm last night when he was shot in the knee.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0217/finglas.html

Gardai investigate Finglas shooting death
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0923/breaking7.htm

Gardaí doing utmost in Finglas case: McDowell
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1213/finglas.html

Launch of the Finglas Cabra Drug Crime Hotlines
    http://www.pobail.ie/en/MinistersSpeeches/2005/March/htmltext,5811,en.html

I don't think anyone is saying that areas like Finglas haven't problems.

My problem is that people automaticlly tar all people from areas with the same brush.

Someone will come along and say 'petty vadalism is rife in Skanger area x' etc etc.

However no one seems to care that recreational drug use is rampant in so called 'nice area y'.

• Advertisement

I wonder if you looked at the typical Dublin criminals background, is it more likely he -

Came from a council estate
    Came from a poor family
    Has no third level education

Or is it more likely he -

Came from a middle class family
    Didn't have money problems
    Has a third level education

Seriously?

The majority of people seem to be trying to suggest your background has nothing to do with whether or not you are more likely to be a criminal.

My problem is that people automaticlly tar all people from areas with the same brush.

Absolutely no one has done that.

We have said there are MORE skangers (or criminals or whatever) in places like Finglas than there are in places like Terenure.

No one has said everyone in Finglas is a criminal, or that you're a criminal.

You don't need to be so defensive.

dublindude wrote:
    I wonder if you looked at the typical Dublin criminals background, is it more likely he -

Came from a poor family

Seriously?

The majority of people seem to be trying to suggest your background has nothing to do with whether or not you are more likely to be a criminal.

It could be anything.Mountjoy is full of people from good areas so you are talking spectacularly out of your arse.

dublindude wrote:

Came from a poor family

Seriously?

Don't forget, trendy rich kids who snort coke are criminals and the effect of their crime is having a far worse effect on Irish society than petty vandalism etc. They, and a lot of other people, don't give a toss though because a lot of the gun crime they are indirectly responsible for takes place far away from them

ntlbell wrote:
    well then soon your going to have to move to the moon.

as you're eventually going to be shocked in every surburb in Ireland.

poor little thing ya.

Lucky for me i've only ever rented in nice areas like Ranelagh, Milltown, Castleknock and Portobello. Except for once when i was in college and rented a room in a house in Corduff in Blanch - I lasted 3 weeks there, there was so much crime it was literally unavoidable.

Amn't I lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

ntlbell wrote:
    how many of the anti-social crimes robberies muggings etc are comitted due to heroin addictions?

Oh, yes i see. If somebody is a heroin addict then it's fine for them to stick a needle in someone when robbing them to pay for their habit. Poor things sure they need to get the money somewhere.

I think the people who are being over sensitive about the word 'skanger' are those who live in so-called 'skanger areas'.

There is a difference between living in an area with a bad reputation, and actually being a skanger.

eth0_ wrote:
    I think the people who are being over sensitive about the word 'skanger' are those who live in so-called 'skanger areas'.

There is a difference between living in an area with a bad reputation, and actually being a skanger.

Hate to be pedantic but no one on this thread has actually defined the word 'skanger'

Degsy wrote:
    It could be anything.Mountjoy is full of people from good areas so you are talking spectacularly out of your arse.

Come on... this is just really silly now.

Have you ever been in Mountjoy? I used to visit someone I know who was imprisoned there. From the visiting rooms it was overwhelmingly clear the vast majority (in fact, it seemed to be all) of the people imprisoned there are not from middle class areas.

• Advertisement

hopalong85 wrote:
    Oh, yes i see. If somebody is a heroin addict then it's fine for them to stick a needle in someone when robbing them to pay for their habit. Poor things sure they need to get the money somewhere.

eh hello planet earth calling what the hell are you on about.

the POINT which you ignored is that if it wasn't for the blue collar crime the guy was quick to dismiss didn't happen we wouldn't have as many heroin addicts in the first place!

no one is saying for one minute this is acceptable behaviour.

cop on!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hack

I clearly hit some nerves and proved that yes it is interesting or why bother reply to the thread...Crime and how it effects property prices in estates is something I think is interesting. Isn't it part of the whole location location thing? anyway, yada,yada, yada you judgemental lot!!!:p

eth0_ wrote:
    Lucky for me i've only ever rented in nice areas like Ranelagh, Milltown, Castleknock and Portobello. Except for once when i was in college and rented a room in a house in Corduff in Blanch - I lasted 3 weeks there, there was so much crime it was literally unavoidable.

Amn't I lucky.

You were just sharing with various ganglords in Castle knock,Ranelagh and even portobello, you were probably ok in corduff and miltown.

Hack wrote:
    I clearly hit some nerves and proved that yes it is interesting or why bother reply to the thread...Crime and how it effects property prices in estates is something I think is interesting. Isn't it part of the whole location location thing? anyway, yada,yada, yada you judgemental lot!!!:p

wasn't your point that crime doesn't seem to be effecting property prices or did i miss the point of the thread

ntlbell you're kind of missing the point of this topic.

The title is "Rip off home prices in crime ridden areas"

We are not talking about the few individuals who oversee the importation of heroin; we are talking about crime ridden areas.

Places like Terenure or Blackrock or other upper-middle class areas could not be considered crime ridden areas whereas places like Finglas which has murders not too unoften could be considered a crime ridden area.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Don't forget, trendy rich kids who snort coke are criminals and the effect of their crime is having a far worse effect on Irish society than petty vandalism etc. They, and a lot of other people, don't give a toss though because a lot of the gun crime they are indirectly responsible for takes place far away from them

Doing cocaine recreationally is a bigger problem than petty vandalism. It's not a bigger problem than joyriding, serious assaults, stabbings and shootings though. These things all have a far worse effect on Irish society than recreational drug use.

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote:
    ntlbell you're kind of missing the point of this topic.

The title is "Rip off home prices in crime ridden areas"

We are not talking about the few individuals who oversee the importation of heroin; we are talking about crime ridden areas.

Places like Terenure or Blackrock or other upper-middle class areas could not be considered crime ridden areas whereas places like Finglas which has murders not too unoften could be considered a crime ridden area.

My point is finglas is _NOT_ a crime ridden area.

a few killings here and there and your all gone flowery...

ye have to learn to chill lax man...

dublindude wrote:

agreed, despite the fact that large numbers of young people from these areas that supposedly aren't crime ridden regularly engage in recreational drug use.

hopalong85 wrote:
    Doing cocaine recreationally is a bigger problem than petty vandalism. It's not a bigger problem than joyriding, serious assaults, stabbings and shootings though. These things all have a far worse effect on Irish society than recreational drug use.

considering the shootings are over the sale of cocaine for recreational use. recreational use of cocaine clearly is a problem....

agreed, despite the fact that large numbers of young people from these areas that supposedly aren't crime ridden regularly engage in recreational drug use.

looks like ireland is just crime ridden then....

ntlbell wrote:
    considering the shootings are over the sale of recreational use of cocaine it clearly is a problem....

nail on head.

As I said earlier because these shootings often take place a long way from the drug users own areas they couldn't care less.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement