Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip off home prices in crime ridden areas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hopalong85 wrote:
    My god, what you're saying is so illogical. Let me try to explain this for you. When a criminal moves to an affluent area he remains in control of the crime in the area he has come from. It is these areas that remain crime ridden. One or two major criminals living in a particular area doesn't make said area crime ridden. Hundreds of criminals living in an area does.
    Hence the difference between areas like Finglas and areas like Blackrock.

Sorry missed that can you just one more time, run it by me again.

I'm easiliy distracted by my new shiney air maxors

so your saying blackrock is safer than finglas?

why didn't you just say that at the start?

An Citeog wrote:
    This may have something to do with it:

sorry the LOL wasn't big enough for you

here...

LOL<---busted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Toots85 wrote:
    Funny that, I live in Foxrock and not one person I know has ever taken coke.....

While i think this is an exaggeration I am faily mystified by the medias obsession with good looking D4 girls and wealthy playboys and their apparent coke habits. Im from a working class area and it would be tough to name too many people who have`nt taken coke (the vast majority of those who have taken it would be very occasional users, or have barely ever used, but I really have to laugh at surveys along the lines of "3% of 15-34 year olds have used cocaine"). Id reckon mosr D4 types (well, most men anyway) have tried it but the epidemic is in the working class areas. I doubt most people in Foxrock would have a clue where to get the stuff.

Which is all good, its rubbish mind destroying sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Speaking of which the topic is about, in relation to double murder news this weekend, would anyone now consider Walkinstown a place to live at maybe 450k pop for a house?

With the Finglas analogy with was it Templeogue(?) earlier in the thread where someone mentioned murder as a detraction as where to live, Walkinstown would be in the same boat according that logic.

I would live in Walkinstown, as i know a bit of the area(northsider view).

Considering Templeogue is within spitting distance of the Greenhills road and reports that a prominent drug dealer(according to meejia who quote Garda sources as one line of investigation) could be involved in those murders, one could conclude that Templeogue is a no-no area to live in!

I would live in Templeogue too :D

Point being, where these gangland murders take place do not reflect on what a place is like to live in in real life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

In downtown Los Angeles they are building condos that are extremely expensive, but you would not want to get caught out alone at night on the surrounding streets!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Id reckon mosr D4 types (well, most men anyway) have tried it but the epidemic is in the working class areas. I doubt most people in Foxrock would have a clue where to get the stuff.
    Well you'd be wrong Gopher the epidemic is spread across the board, people from anywhere can get Cocaine easily. With the prevalence of Cocaine now the drug problem in Ireland is no longer confined to certain urban areas, it's everywhere and if anyone says that people in Foxrock or any like area arent affected by it they're either lying or just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

In downtown Los Angeles they are building condos that are extremely expensive, but you would not want to get caught out alone at night on the surrounding streets!:eek:

LA being a metaphor for Dubland?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

gurramok wrote:
    Speaking of which the topic is about, in relation to double murder news this weekend, would anyone now consider Walkinstown a place to live at maybe 450k pop for a house?

With the Finglas analogy with was it Templeogue(?) earlier in the thread where someone mentioned murder as a detraction as where to live, Walkinstown would be in the same boat according that logic.

I would live in Walkinstown, as i know a bit of the area(northsider view).

Considering Templeogue is within spitting distance of the Greenhills road and reports that a prominent drug dealer(according to meejia who quote Garda sources as one line of investigation) could be involved in those murders, one could conclude that Templeogue is a no-no area to live in!

I would live in Templeogue too :D

Point being, where these gangland murders take place do not reflect on what a place is like to live in in real life.

The analogy was with Terenure! ;)

I think it's important to point out that age-old saying of "one double murder does not a crime ridden area make". It's more about a large volume of smaller things than one major incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

LA being a metaphor for Dubland?
    Hmmm... its not actually Metaphor apparently dubland prices almost equivalent to Beverly Hills, its on the radio other day. Just only difference between Beverly Hills you don’t find any woman wearing track suits in Tesco’s. :D:D:D

(Probably German ambassador is right, he is not joking) :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

MySelf56 wrote:
    Hmmm... its not actually Metaphor apparently dubland prices almost equivalent to Beverly Hills, its on the radio other day. Just only difference between Beverly Hills you don’t find any woman wearing track suits in Tesco’s. :D:D:D

Good one!:p

What's the equivalent for the show Beverly Hills 90210 though?

Remember that lovely series The Class from a 15 years ago? Nice!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

MySelf56 wrote:

If thats true then lol at the people buying houses in Dublin... it also shows just how shafted people here are allowing themselves to be got*

I personally would not touch Irish property with a barge pole attached to another barge pole... There is no way a box apartment in worth 300k+... I dont care where it is... When i lived in Canada you could buy such beautiful houses with gardens, garage and all for about the same money...

*I think i just invented some new grammar there...

What's the equivalent for the show Beverly Hills 90210 though?
    Yes there is Fair(d) City.
    I personally would not touch Irish property with a barge pole attached to another barge pole... There is no way a box apartment in worth 300k+... I dont care where it is... When i lived in Canada you could buy such beautiful houses with gardens, garage and all for about the same money...

Forget buying if you want rent it self you have to mint the money, haven’t heard basement studio with sink and microwave will cost you 700 yoyo in Dubland. (Few days back lads posted link from Daft actually!!). That’s what Mr David (Ginger) McWillams whinging, would you just buying and selling houses each other be innovative (like Ryan Air) invest your money ideas in enterprise development, no economy in the world cant sustain development purely based property(unless it is dismanting spanish fishing villages and polluting 5000 sq miles of mediterian sea board). But unfortunately celtic tiger cubs are offended because of his hair colour. What can you do?

On a serious note:
    I think generalisation of Crime ridden areas is not good idea. Finest example there is shooting Coolock (lovely ladies with track bottoms who replaces “D” for “R” in general English) relatively less house prices compared to Stillorgan(areas completely infested with 4x4 driven yummy mummys who goes to Dundrum shopping centre for cuppa) few months back both places experienced gun shot victims. So can we say Stillorgan is ****e hole(Ross Carroll Kelly will kick the **** out of me), absolutely not same for Coolock! (at least in UCI cinemas woman behind me doesnt bother his bf while movie running unlike poshy dundrum movie where she is talking to ginger man while movie running!)

We long back put our heads in sand, drugs are abused in both areas just poshy areas call them as “Weekend Recreational” (bit posy wording hey!). You would be daft generalising one particular area now a day. There is no such week in the news customs finding drugs here n there. Where there are drugs there is problem simple plain mathematics. I don’t think its do with community centres,swimming pools, un employment, blah blah (correct me if I am wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Terry wrote:
    What?

wasn't just me then, no?

looks like that post went through google translator a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Terry +1

• Advertisement

When did i learned foreign language with out my knowledge or do i have to post it in Text Lingustica to make Terry-- ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

MySelf56 wrote:
    When did i learned foreign language with out my knowledge or do i have to post it in Text Lingustica to make Terry-- ? :D

what?

Ok i give up!

I will learn my texting lingustic skills to make myself clear in my coming posts!

MySelf56 wrote:
    Ok i give up!

I will learn my texting lingustic skills to make myself clear in my coming posts!

Can't wait.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Ruen wrote:
    Well you'd be wrong Gopher the epidemic is spread across the board, people from anywhere can get Cocaine easily. With the prevalence of Cocaine now the drug problem in Ireland is no longer confined to certain urban areas, it's everywhere and if anyone says that people in Foxrock or any like area arent affected by it they're either lying or just stupid.

jaysis, i live in finglas and i cant my hands on a bit of soap never mind anything else, where are all these drug dealing people?

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote:
    jaysis, i live in finglas and i cant my hands on a bit of soap never mind anything else, where are all these drug dealing people?

It seems it's far easier to get coke these days than a bit smoke.

But there is a fair bit of soap around you just need to look slightly harder...

like dublin 7 :P

/back on topic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

MySelf56 wrote:
    Ok i give up!

Thats very magnanamous of you.You're not a robot perchance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

irishbird wrote:
    Everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this is relevant.

In the Sunday Business Post today they have the crime statistics -

The Finglas area has the second highest amount of murders in the state - 12.6% of all murders in Ireland. (The Coolock area is #1.)

The Blackrock area, which the Finglas heads seemed to think was somehow more crime ridden than Finglas, has less murder than areas like Kerry, Cork and Clare. That's THIRTEEN TIMES LOWER than Finglas.

dublindude wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this is relevant.

In the Sunday Business Post today they have the crime statistics -

The Finglas area has the second highest amount of murders in the state - 12.6% of all murders in Ireland. (The Coolock area is #1.)

The Blackrock area, which the Finglas heads seemed to think was somehow more crime ridden than Finglas, has less murder than areas like Kerry, Cork and Clare. That's THIRTEEN TIMES LOWER than Finglas.

You've obviously read Wrong, have another read before being mistaken twice..http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS+FEATURES-qqqm=nav-qqqid=27759-qqqx=1.asp
    SBP wrote:
    A breakdown of the figures by each of the country’s 25 Garda divisions shows that more than a quarter of all murders in the state occur in just two divisions - the DMR Northern Division, which covers areas such as Coolock and Swords, and the adjoining DMR Western Division, which covers the area around Finglas and Blanchardstown.

The DMR Northern Division was the scene of 14.7 per cent of all homicides in the state, while the DMR Western Division - where Daly was murdered last weekend - dealt with 12.6 per cent of the nation’s murders.

Those stats are not based on either Coolock or Finglas areas.

They are based on each Garda division, the likes of Coolock includes Clontarf and all the way up to Swords, basically Dub NE, fyi

Same can be said for so called stats for Finglas, they include Blanch/Castlenock and adjoining areas.

gurramok wrote: »
    You've obviously read Wrong, have another read before being mistaken twice..

I suggest you take your own advice.
    dublindude wrote:
    The Finglas area has the second highest amount of murders in the state - 12.6% of all murders in Ireland.
    the area around Finglas and Blanchardstown...dealt with 12.6 per cent of the nation’s murders
    areas such as Coolock and Swords...was the scene of 14.7 per cent of all homicides in the state
    gurramok wrote:
    Those stats are not based on either Coolock or Finglas areas.

:confused::confused:

I suggest you take your own advice.

How can you be confused again?

Have a 3rd read of the article if you may.

DMR West Garda division includes Finglas, Blanch, Castlenock, Glasnevin, Lucan, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot etc.

DMR Northern division includes Coolock, Sutton, Kilbarrack, Raheny, Donaghmede, Swords, Santry etc.

You had stated Finglas has the 'second highest amount of murders in the state - 12.6% of all murders in Ireland.', which is clearly false.

You should of said that the DMR Western Garda division has the 'second highest amount of murders in the state - 12.6% of all murders in Ireland.'

You had stated that Coolock was No.1 for murders in Ireland which is clearly false.
    You should have stated that DMR Northern Garda division has the ' highest amount of murders in the state' or No.1 in your lingo.

Understand now?

EDIT: link here for divisions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Metropolitan_Area for your perusal

I suggest you relax on the angry tone because it is you who is confused. Also please read my posts, you are not reading them.
    gurramok wrote:
    You had stated Finglas has the 'second highest amount of murders in the state - 12.6% of all murders in Ireland.', which is clearly false.

No I didn't. I said the Finglas AREA.
    gurramok wrote:
    You had stated that Coolock was No.1 for murders in Ireland which is clearly false.

No I didn't. I said the Coolock AREA.

I understand you are trying to imply the murders are spread out in places like Sutton and Castleknock, but I think anyone with a brain can tell you, and The Sunday Business Post clearly pointed this out, that it is areas like Finglas which is where the murders are happening. The murders aren't happening in places like Sutton and Castleknock.

I suggest you relax on the angry tone because it is you who is confused. Also please read my posts, you are not reading them.

Angry tone?..LOL..Its a pity you hadn't backed up your statement with facts, i have.

Yes i am, very clearly reading your posts, thank you.
    dublindude wrote:

Oh, your tying to get off the hook now...Finglas AREA is Finglas area in the English language, not the DMR West region.
    dublindude wrote:
    Coolock AREA is Coolock area in the English language, not the DMR Northern region.
    dublindude wrote:
    I understand you are trying to imply the murders are spread out in places like Sutton and Castleknock, but I think anyone with a brain can tell you, and The Sunday Business Post clearly pointed this out, that it is areas like Finglas which is where the murders are happening. The murders aren't happening in places like Sutton and Castleknock.

I stated what the DMR regions consisted of, you had stated and clearly said that Finglas has had the 2nd highest murder rate in the country and it does NOT.

Lets look at whats happened in Finglas itself for facts. (Note: not DMR West region)

Finglas has had 3 high-profile all gangland type murders in '07 and 3 in '06* and from that you had said that it has now the 2nd highest murder rate in the country with about 60+ murders a year nationally?

Can you see what you had mistakenly said?

*i've actually looked this part up, 3 murders in July, Sept & Oct '07, 3 all in Sept '06

I'll simplify.

Would you accept Finglas has dramatically more murders than nearly every other suburb and town in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I'll simplify.

Would you accept Finglas has dramatically more murders than nearly every other suburb and town in Ireland?

Good to hear you accept that Finglas is not solely the Garda DMR West region which has 12.6% of all murders in Ireland.

No, there are other 'areas' as you call them that can claim equal if worse status of murder rates.

3 murdered a year is very low considering the size of the suburb, and considering every single one of them were gangland killings.

Shall we have to trawl through all the locations of the 48 murders so far this year to prove its not the worse area?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Shall we have to trawl through all the locations of the 48 murders so far this year to prove its not the worse area?:D

I'd be quite interested in that...

/eggs on pissing contest.:D

Go for it :D

Note this thread was mostly about how Finglas is a nicer area (or just as nice) than places like Blackrock and Terenure.

That's obviously bollox, hence my post above.

I would classify Finglas as a crime ridden area; one of the worst in Ireland.

I agree with gurramok here. Calling the western DMR the Finglas area is incorrect. The Finglas area doesn't include places like Castleknock and seeing as Sutton is on the eastern coastline, I think you may be slightly confused. The western DMR does, however, include Blanchardstown which also has quite a few murders.

The northern DMR doesn't refer to the Coolock area. Swords and north county Dublin cartainly aren't part of the Coolock area.

Would you refer to Terenure as the Crumlin area?

An Citeog wrote: »
    I agree with gurramok here. Calling the western DMR the Finglas area is incorrect. The Finglas area doesn't include places like Castleknock and seeing as Sutton is on the eastern coastline, I think you may be slightly confused. The western DMR does, however, include Blanchardstown which also has quite a few murders.

The northern DMR doesn't refer to the Coolock area. Swords and north county Dublin cartainly aren't part of the Coolock area.

Would you refer to Terenure as the Crumlin area?

I was quoting the Sunday Business Post. They may have their facts wrong.

I've researched RTE news website especially for dublindude :)

I somehow came up with 48 exact matches for this year which is also the official figure, maybe just fluky on my part.:)

Now.. 4 murders in Tipp total, 3 in Finglas, 3 in Clontarf, 3 in Clondalkin, 3 in Clonmel alone, 3 in Limerick, 3 in Cork, 3 in Meath etc.

By dublindudes logic, Clontarf ranks along Finglas as the worst crime ridden area and Tipp is the worst ever, agree now?:D

So, according to the list below, don't buy any houses in those places as they are all crime ridden according to dublindudes logic...LOL

Surprised at Tipp, what is going on down there?:eek:

RIP to all the victims, sad and shocking.

Monaghan http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1022/news1pm.html
    Finglas http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1022/news1pm.html
    West Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1016/bullg.html
    Clonmel http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1017/manganj.html
    Galway http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1010/riedom.html
    Limerick http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/limerick.html
    Dublin south inner city http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/jenkinsa.html
    Walkinstown(2) http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1006/dublin.html
    Clontarf http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0929/dublin.html
    Finglas http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0924/duffyd.html
    Longford http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0921/coughlans.html
    Clonmel http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0917/cambridgek.html
    Duleek, Louth http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0913/fernandesc.html
    Limerick http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0904/colemanp.html
    Westmeath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0831/westmeath.html
    Castlenock http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0830/gilbertj.html
    Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0826/mckeeb.html
    Roscommon http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0824/cunninghamt.html
    Laois http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0821/burkep.html
    Sligo http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0814/sligo.html
    Clontarf http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0809/clontarf.html
    Dunboyne, Meath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0804/meath.html
    Finglas http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0718/finglas.html
    Wicklow(2) http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0717/sleator.html
    Bettystown,Meath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0716/drogheda.html
    Nenagh http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0719/tipperary.html
    Dublin north inner city http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0711/byrnea.html
    Mountjoy http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0628/glennond.html
    Dublin south inner city http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0616/dublin.html
    Blanch, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0612/tobini.html
    Swords, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0604/swords.html
    Donnybrook http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0526/stab.htm
    Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0522/body.html
    Limerick http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0426/limerick.html
    Killarney, Kerry http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0421/brazierj.html
    Thurles, Tipperary http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0419/thurles.html
    Clonakility, Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0418/pattersonr.html
    Clare http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0416/odwyerm.html
    Clontarf http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0408/shooting.html
    Mornington, Meath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0323/meath.html
    Clondalkin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0315/ohanlonr.html
    Roscrea, Tipperary http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0312/tipperary.html
    Clonmel, tipperary http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0222/molloyd.html
    Raheny, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0212/raheny.html
    Clondalkin, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0203/dublin.html
    Clondalkin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0124/clondalkin.html
    Tallaght http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0119/tallaght.html
    Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0106/sulaymanova.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I somehow came up with 48 exact matches for this year which is also the official figure, maybe just fluky on my part.:)

Now.. 4 murders in Tipp total, 3 in Finglas, 3 in Clontarf, 3 in Clondalkin, 3 in Clonmel alone, 3 in Limerick, 3 in Cork, 3 in Meath etc.

By dublindudes logic, Clontarf ranks along Finglas as the worst crime ridden area and Tipp is the worst ever, agree now?:D

So, according to the list below, don't buy any houses in those places as they are all crime ridden according to dublindudes logic...LOL

Surprised at Tipp, what is going on down there?:eek:

RIP to all the victims, sad and shocking.

Monaghan http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1022/news1pm.html
    Finglas http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1022/news1pm.html
    West Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1016/bullg.html
    Clonmel http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1017/manganj.html
    Galway http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1010/riedom.html
    Limerick http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/limerick.html
    Dublin south inner city http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/jenkinsa.html
    Walkinstown(2) http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1006/dublin.html
    Clontarf http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0929/dublin.html
    Finglas http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0924/duffyd.html
    Longford http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0921/coughlans.html
    Clonmel http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0917/cambridgek.html
    Duleek, Louth http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0913/fernandesc.html
    Limerick http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0904/colemanp.html
    Westmeath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0831/westmeath.html
    Castlenock http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0830/gilbertj.html
    Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0826/mckeeb.html
    Roscommon http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0824/cunninghamt.html
    Laois http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0821/burkep.html
    Sligo http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0814/sligo.html
    Clontarf http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0809/clontarf.html
    Dunboyne, Meath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0804/meath.html
    Finglas http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0718/finglas.html
    Wicklow(2) http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0717/sleator.html
    Bettystown,Meath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0716/drogheda.html
    Nenagh http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0719/tipperary.html
    Dublin north inner city http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0711/byrnea.html
    Mountjoy http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0628/glennond.html
    Dublin south inner city http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0616/dublin.html
    Blanch, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0612/tobini.html
    Swords, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0604/swords.html
    Donnybrook http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0526/stab.htm
    Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0522/body.html
    Limerick http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0426/limerick.html
    Killarney, Kerry http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0421/brazierj.html
    Thurles, Tipperary http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0419/thurles.html
    Clonakility, Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0418/pattersonr.html
    Clare http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0416/odwyerm.html
    Clontarf http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0408/shooting.html
    Mornington, Meath http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0323/meath.html
    Clondalkin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0315/ohanlonr.html
    Roscrea, Tipperary http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0312/tipperary.html
    Clonmel, tipperary http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0222/molloyd.html
    Raheny, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0212/raheny.html
    Clondalkin, Dublin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0203/dublin.html
    Clondalkin http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0124/clondalkin.html
    Tallaght http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0119/tallaght.html
    Cork http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0106/sulaymanova.html

You really go out of your way to make a point!

I was quoting the Sunday Business Post. They may have their facts wrong.

No, you quoted particular sentences in the article to try and back up your own views. Here's what it really says,
    A breakdown of the figures by each of the country’s 25 Garda divisions shows that more than a quarter of all murders in the state occur in just two divisions - the DMR Northern Division, which covers areas such as Coolock and Swords, and the adjoining DMR Western Division, which covers the area around Finglas and Blanchardstown.

The DMR Northern Division was the scene of 14.7 per cent of all homicides in the state, while the DMR Western Division - where Daly was murdered last weekend - dealt with 12.6 per cent of the nation’s murders.

Fair play guarramok. Nice bit of research you did there! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I have to say that a lot of shootings get reported as happening in Coolock when they in fact happen in other areas. One in the Irish Times last week had 'The Shooting happened in Dublin 13, Coolock'. D13 is Donaghmede.
    The fact that all the surrounding areas come under Coolock Garda Stations jurisdiction is probably how its happening. It annoys me as we already have enough shootings of our own with more being attributed to us.
    We certainly haven't got the most, it's the DMR division we're in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

It annoys me as we already have enough shootings of our own with more being attributed to us.
    We certainly haven't got the most, it's the DMR division we're in.

Its not like you are personally being blamed for these shootings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

good work, gunna read the ones for my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Orange69 wrote: »
    Its not like you are personally being blamed for these shootings?

I know but I think Coolock has a bad enough reputation without getting most of the shootings on the northside of Dublin attributed to it. I'm almost fond of the place at this point in some twisted way.

So Finglas is in joint second place for murders in Ireland.

You really think that means nothing?

Yes, dublindude is wrong because Finglas is only in joint second place. For my argument to be valid Finglas must contain every murder in Ireland. :rolleyes:

I wonder what the average number of murders per year is in Finglas and Clontarf? Somehow I think the average in Finglas is higher.

Yes, dublindude is wrong because Finglas is only in joint second place. For my argument to be valid Finglas must contain every murder in Ireland. :rolleyes:

You had stated the following:
    dublindude wrote:

3 out of 48 murders don't count as 12.6%, thats the 2nd time on which you've been proved wrong.

You has stated
    dublindude wrote:
    I would classify Finglas as a crime ridden area; one of the worst in Ireland.
    You've been proved wrong twice so far.
    dublindude wrote:
    I wonder what the average number of murders per year is in Finglas and Clontarf? Somehow I think the average in Finglas is higher.

Look it up for '06 and previous years, i did the work to prove you wrong for '07.

You now do the work and prove you are right if you bother to back up your argument with facts.

OK, I give up. The fact that Finglas has the second highest number of murders in the country means nothing. Finglas is just as nice an area as Blackrock. Case closed.

• Advertisement

OK, I give up. The fact that Finglas has the second highest number of murders in the country means nothing. Finglas is just as nice an area as Blackrock. Case closed.

Correction..Finglas has the joint second highest number of murders in the country along with Clontarf, Clondalkin, Clonmel, Limerick, Cork and Meath.

Good to hear your conclusion :D

EDIT: missed the word second in sentence above for Dublindude, humble apologies for the horrible typo to cause horrendous confusion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

THE no of houses being built in dublin is quite small ,so prices are high even in so called crime ridden areas.I KNOW people who live in finglas who have had no problems with crime, but they have alarms fitted to deter burglars.Most of the building going on is apartments,which give a higher profit ratio to developers than single houses.Estates where 90percent of the houses are excorpo owner accupied tend to be safer,as they average age is 30plus,and most people are working full time.Finglas is not one single block,some estates are quieter than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

gurramok 1; dublindude 0

Nice one resurecting a dead thread to get a futher beaten in an argument.

4 murders in Tipp total, 3 in Finglas, 3 in Clontarf, 3 in Clondalkin, 3 in Clonmel alone, 3 in Limerick, 3 in Cork, 3 in Meath etc.
    dublindude wrote:
    Finglas has the second highest number of murders in the country
    gurramok wrote:
    Finglas has the joint highest number of murders in the country along with Clontarf, Clondalkin, Clonmel, Limerick, Cork and Meath

Come on, you're arguing with yourself now. Earlier you said it was Tipp, now it's Finglas again.

So if you (after changing your mind again) agree that Finglas is in the #1 or #2 spot for the number of murders in Ireland, would you agree, yes, Finglas is a dodgy area?

You seem to be arguing for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

This Finglas you speak of. It sounds like such a utopia. I must buy a property there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement