Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Aid Kits

• 03-10-2007 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking to know if anyone can offer anymore info on this 'item' that I have recieved in the past hour or so, it was found by my uncle whilst clearing out a shed, the box is marked on top:

"OUTFIT, FIRST-AID, SMALL, FOR ARMOURED FIGHTING VECHICLES"

Obviously British (you could guess that right away from the complicated, drawn out title :p ) But it also has a broad arrow on the lid. Heres a few pics:

th_48479_tin1_123_1170lo.jpgth_48484_tin2_123_932lo.jpgth_48490_tin3_123_931lo.jpg

Its in a bit of a state true enough, and missing the most of its contents :(, The one complete shell dressing is dated 1940, it does have a glass tube in it though with a long since gone hard rubber cap, inside this tube is a pencil, the pencil is marked:

'A.W. Faber Castell 5201 The Winner'

This particular brand pencil was made in Ireland

Interestingly the instructions printed on the inside of the lid, where the word 'Tannic Acid Jelly' is printed its crossed out and wrote near it, in hand writing is 'Sulphanilamide cream' :eek:.......neither of them sounds like something I'd like to have put on me, and both for very different reasons!!

Anyone have any thoughts on this? And sure if nothing else you've seen a few pictures of a c.1940's armoured car medical kit (or whats left of one anyway! :p )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hi, just looking to know if anyone can offer anymore info on this 'item' that I have recieved in the past hour or so, it was found by my uncle whilst clearing out a shed, the box is marked on top:

"OUTFIT, FIRST-AID, SMALL, FOR ARMOURED FIGHTING VECHICLES"

Obviously British (you could guess that right away from the complicated, drawn out title :p ) But it also has a broad arrow on the lid. Heres a few pics:

th_48479_tin1_123_1170lo.jpgth_48484_tin2_123_932lo.jpgth_48490_tin3_123_931lo.jpg

Its in a bit of a state true enough, and missing the most of its contents :(, The one complete shell dressing is dated 1940, it does have a glass tube in it though with a long since gone hard rubber cap, inside this tube is a pencil, the pencil is marked:

'A.W. Faber Castell 5201 The Winner'

This particular brand pencil was made in Ireland

Interestingly the instructions printed on the inside of the lid, where the word 'Tannic Acid Jelly' is printed its crossed out and wrote near it, in hand writing is 'Sulphanilamide cream' :eek:.......neither of them sounds like something I'd like to have put on me, and both for very different reasons!!

Anyone have any thoughts on this? And sure if nothing else you've seen a few pictures of a c.1940's armoured car medical kit (or whats left of one anyway! :p )

Dunno bout the tnnic acid jelly but sulphanamide was very common to be poured liberally into wounds.I'm not sure if it was an antibiotic or just a disinfectant.Good find though.Is morphine listed on the lid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Degsy wrote:
    Dunno bout the tnnic acid jelly but sulphanamide was very common to be poured liberally into wounds.I'm not sure if it was an antibiotic or just a disinfectant.Good find though.Is morphine listed on the lid?

Yep, morphine is listed as such:

Tablets, Morphine Tartrate, 1/4 gr., oral (tube of 4)

Heres another few pics, close of of the inside label, the glass tube, which may have held the morphine(?) and another couple of shell dressing I had lying about, so I threw them into it :o

th_76931_100_7416_122_749lo.JPGth_76940_100_7417_122_632lo.JPGth_76946_100_7418_122_744lo.JPG

Advertisement