Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster Car Parking

Options
  • 03-10-2007 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey guys, whats the story with the college and the car parking or lack of it. I know way more students have cars now but it's a complete joke.

You get over there at 2 min past 9 and you can't get a car space and no one will be leaving tell 10 at the latest.

The first day I went to college there this yr I got clamped. 60e and the bo**ox had about 30 other cars clamped and said he had another van on it's way up to clamp another bunch of cars. My car wasn't ever causing any obstruction.

The college must be making about 10k a week between all it's car spaces can they not invest in more spaces with this revenue?

Does anyone know if there is being anything done about this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i feel your pain, last year i got clamped. it sucks.

but on your point about investing in more car spaces, where do you put them? rip up one of the pitches, build a multistorey and close the carpark for two years while building it?

it would be nice if there was more parking but there isn't any obligation on the college to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How many of you REALLY need to drive to college?
    I'd imagine quite a small amount of students really need to use their car to get to college.

Maybe the college should assign permits to people based on where they are living and whether they already have adequate access to public transport or are able to walk or cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Ya true a very valid point. The majority of students live in the students villages which are between a 10 and 20 minute walk away. Also the two major students villages have shuttle bus services.

So yes what your saying permits or something to that order should be handed out to those who actually have no option but to drive.

I live over in Annacotty so driving is my only option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I have four 9 o' clock starts a week and im consistently late for the first class due to lack of parking spaces. Driving is my only option as Im living in Tipperary. Its a joke that the college is making money out of the pathetic parking facilities. Also I think you should be allowed park on the green areas, eg. on the way up the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

FearDark wrote: »
    I have four 9 o' clock starts a week and im consistently late for the first class due to lack of parking spaces. Driving is my only option as Im living in Tipperary. Its a joke that the college is making money out of the pathetic parking facilities. Also I think you should be allowed park on the green areas, eg. on the way up the hill.
    I am also sick of parking probs in LIT. Just want to let you know that the Limk Junction have a commuter train service that has 14 trips (each way) per day to Limk. Currently parking in Limk Junc is free. Price of weekly commuter ticket is not too bad (€31).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Critical aint the word...the gardai are now even issuing tickets to cars parked in adjoining housing estates..

if i was a home owner in that area i would be annoyed if i couldn't park outside my own house because some student had parked there.

parking seems to be a bigger problem this year than last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lore

The SU sent out an email today asking people to not drive to the campus unless necessary, they also said you can park in Cratloe and Thomond student villages and take the shuttle bus up.

Anyway, the Garda are just doing their job. It's not their problem that LIT is past capacity. It is their problem is the housing estates are being filled by non-resident parking, especially across double yellow lines.

the su sent an email either last week or the one previous also, they don't have any effect. a waste of good bandwidth.

i was slightly annoyed last week when i saw that the cars which were parked on the roadside in front of dave and kay's carpark had gotten tickets but cars further down at the baptist church didn't. it is the cars that park down there that cause an obstruction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Missed yet another lecture due to parking probs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

most people who drive live around 5-10 mins away i dont feel sorry for anyone who cant find a place when they are to lazy to walk, although come to think of it, its better than have to deal with scumbags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

FearDark wrote: »
    I have four 9 o' clock starts a week and im consistently late for the first class due to lack of parking spaces.

Leave earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

just park in mayorstone or if ur livin nearby just feckin walk and dont be so lazy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

opelmanta wrote: »
    just park in mayorstone or if ur livin nearby just feckin walk and dont be so lazy!!!

although when i was goin to colledge there was always this wreck of a blue fiesta parked in majorstone blocking all the cars coming in, it used to annoy me alot not sure if the driver still parks there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Cato wrote: »
    although when i was goin to colledge there was always this wreck of a blue fiesta parked in majorstone blocking all the cars coming in, it used to annoy me alot not sure if the driver still parks there though...

that car did a lot of beer runs so quit ur whingeing!!!!!!!!

Advertisement