Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous Cycle lane

Options
  • 03-10-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

I know that most cycle lanes are crazy but this one on the North Circular Road in Dublin takes the biscuit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Haven't seen it in the flesh, but presumably it prevents the cyclists being smashed into by cars turning left

/edit, just saw the sign...beats me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Where exactly is that? Just past St. Peter's church? I live near there but don't recall seeing that particular abomination before.
    I know that most cycle lanes are crazy but this one on the North Circular Road in Dublin takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Is that the one just down from Dalymount Park? If it is, it allows cyclists to turn right towards O'Connell Street, I've used it a few times and found it quite good but I can see how someone going straight on would find it a nuisence. There should probably be a second lane marked out on the left side of the straight lane and arrows put into the right turning cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Exactly, it's a lane for cyclists who want to turn right and head toward O'Connell Street (which in my experience, having lived right by where that photo was taken, is most of them). Nobody expects you to use that lane if you're heading straight down NCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

It's got broken white line, so cars and trucks can use it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I know the one. It's definitely for people turning right onto Berkeley Road.
    Dandelion6 wrote:
    Exactly, it's a lane for cyclists who want to turn right and head toward O'Connell Street (which in my experience, having lived right by where that photo was taken, is most of them). Nobody expects you to use that lane if you're heading straight down NCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Its just east of the old ice skating place and as Ghost Rider says its for turning right onto Berkley Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Yeah that's the one, you go straight past the mater hospital and down to where all the motorbike shops are and onto O'Connell Street. It's great for getting into lane to turn right. Nothing wrong with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

It's got broken white line, so cars and trucks can use it too.

It's a broken white line for cars to go in and out of that side road. You'll see it turns solid just beyond that junction.

I like it, in theory.
    But didn't somebody say before that a cycle track *has* to be on the left hand side of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

DITTKD wrote:
    But didn't somebody say before that a cycle track *has* to be on the left hand side of the road?

Only if it's a single white line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I know the one. It's definitely for people turning right onto Berkeley Road.
    To clear up ambuguity - it's on east bound NCR at Berkeley Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

[Crocodile Dundee]
    That's not a ridiculous cycle lane, this is a ridiculous cycle lane:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/September2007.htm
    [/Crocodile Dundee]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Mucco wrote:
    [Crocodile Dundee]
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/September2007.htm
    [/Crocodile Dundee]

I'm speechless...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mucco wrote:
    [Crocodile Dundee]
    [/Crocodile Dundee]

Excellent! Go back through the previous months (if you haven't already). All cycle paths should have "decorative" bollards and dismount signs at random intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

In Ireland, 'cyclists dismount' signs cannot be legally enforced. Indeed, so carelessly were our regulations written, there is no legally defined sign for 'End of Cycle Track'.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where is it on the NCR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Mucco wrote:
    [Crocodile Dundee]
    [/Crocodile Dundee]

that should be stickied or something! Funniest thing i've seen on the cycling forum! Brilliant!:D

Advertisement