Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

320 diesel are they any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have read that between 2001 and 2003 BMW had a big problem with the turbo on the 320d.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good cars. Great engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

I just sold my 04 320D yesterday. Was a fantastic motor but i just missed the power of my previous petrol car and had to change back. In saying that i had it for nearly a year and had no problems whatsoever. Had enough power for day to day driving and handling was fantastic (m-sport model). Fuel economy averaged around the 38MPG mark but i wasnt doing huge milage. I would admit bmw's are over priced but i bought mine for 35K and sold it for 31K a year later so i cant complain. Go for an M sport version if you can as the bog basic looks a tad plain imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

My colleague had to get a new Motor fitted at 24,000 miles. It was done under warranty. but again at 50,000 the same symptoms started so it was traded back to the dealer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

On the Rover 75 forums there seem to be a lot of reports with problems with them.
    the petrol 4 cylinders appear to be the most troublesome, the BMW diesels appear to get more troublesome as they get older and the petrol V6s appear to be the least troublesome.
    In Rover 75s it appears to be MAFs, injectors and fuel pumps that are the main problems on the BMW engines. Clutches also give trouble so get an auto box, change the oil in it and you'll avoid most of the problems. The other things on the diesel seem to fixable but at moderate expense.
    The 2 litre diesel in the Rover has lower boost than in the BMW so it wouldn't be as stressed as in a three or five series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 3 series is a great car, but make sure that the turbo has been changed on 320d's of that era. BMW recalled them and fitted new turbos for free within a certain time scale AFAIK so make sure that that was done before you buy the 320d.

On the other hand, you could always have a 6 cylinder petrol like a 320i(pre 05 only, after 05 the 320i has the same engine the 318i from the 01-04 3 series had), which is what I would have(much smoother and much nicer sounding, a choice definately made by your heart and not your head though:D ), so long as you don't mind the inferior economy compared to the oil burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My 02 320d had a new engine & turbo replacement under warranty in 2004. The turbo's are dodgy in the 02 ones. I wouldn't buy an 02 on original turbo, only reason I bought the one I have was because of the engine/turbo replacement... Bought it with 72k on car, 35k on engine... Sweet deal :D

Done 15k on it since I bought it and no bothers. I absolutily love the car (so far anyhow) and would recommend them to anyone. Try to get high spec if possible. I have Xenon's, full leather, nice alloys, slimate control etc. etc.

Only thing i'm missing is sun-roof which tbh i'm not all that bothered about (In Ireland anyhow!)

JohnCleary wrote:
    I have Xenon's, full leather, nice alloys, slimate control etc. etc.

Only thing i'm missing is sun-roof which tbh i'm not all that bothered about (In Ireland anyhow!)

Why do you miss not having a sunroof when you have Climate Control?

A sunroof is a waste of time IMO when you've got chilled air as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

He isn't bothered...re-read his post :) I, on the other hand used to have a sunroof and now don't and miss it so much! During the Summer, it makes the cabin much brighter and when tilted makes the car look sportier :)

E92 wrote:
    Why do you miss not having a sunroof when you have Climate Control?

A sunroof is a waste of time IMO when you've got chilled air as standard.

I don't miss not having a sunroof (I've never had one, so couldn't miss not having one)... what I meant is that not having a sunroof is what i'm missing from it being high spec. Climate control is damn handy, i'm still using it and the summer is truly over (Did it start to begin with?)

• Advertisement

Sorry I misunderstood you. If anything, Climate Control(and aircon) is arguably more useful in winter months than in the summer, because it defogs the windscreen much faster, and significantly reduces the chances of the car from fogging up.

E92 wrote:
    Sorry I misunderstood you. If anything, Climate Control(and aircon) is arguably more useful in winter months than in the summer, because it defogs the windscreen much faster, and significantly reduces the chances of the car from fogging up.

Handy to know, I generally just leave it on the whole time. The car is so economic that losing a bit doesn't bother me for nice cool air

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mailman wrote:
    the petrol 4 cylinders appear to be the most troublesome, the BMW diesels appear to get more troublesome as they get older and the petrol V6s appear to be the least troublesome.
    I presume you meant the straight 6s!

Advertisement