Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggest a good estate agent

Options
  • 03-10-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi, Looking to help a relative sell a house in Dundalk. I'm not sure about which estate agent to contact as I dont know the area. I'd be really grateful if anyone could give me the benefit of their own (or friends/ relatives) experiences of selling a house in the Dundalk area. Are any agents known for being particularly good or bad, in your experience? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Gunne Property are the best IMO. Good luck with the sale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mir2001

anyone have any opinions on MallonBest or Sherry Carroll?

MallonBest tends to inflate the value of the house and it ends up staying on the market for a while. Would have no gripe at all with Sherry Carroll, they seem to be very professional.

The above is my experience with the 2 agrents, this may not be representitive of them as a whole :)

Really appreciate your help, what you've said confirms an impression I already had myself.

No bodger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

MallonBest tends to inflate the value of the house and it ends up staying on the market for a while.

I have limited dealings with estate agents but I would give this firm a miss. I found them to be disingenous at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

dont go near Boyle Estates in Ardee, the owner is a pratt that is full of himself and couldnt sell a house if he tried,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

The most important thing you can do is AVOID Turnkey Property like the plague... They are terrible, this is from personal experience with them and have also heard other people samne similar things about them.
    I'm not too sure about the agents that you mentioned. But i have found Duffy Property to be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

all auctioneers are tricky , they have to be to do well in that game , i dont begrudge them for it , you cant trust any of them too much , there priority is too get each property off there books as quick as possible

as regards county louth , not sure who is the biggest player there , in dublin its hook and mc donald and hamilton osborne king , in meath its raymond potterton , in kildare its coonan , other big names are sullivan and then you have the national auctioneers like sherry fitzgerald ,

gunne are not as big as they once were but if you get the right person , any of them could be good
    a good property will in most cases sell itself

thanks to everyone for their input, I've gone off gunne a bit since they failed to respond to an email of questions. At the moment Sherry Carroll are looking the best although Sherry Property seemed ok too. If anyones got any strong opinions on either of these let me know, thanks.
    Also as I have no experience of buying a house either - when buyers see the term "offers in excess of" do they expect to pay more than that value to get that property or do they figure that in the current market they will get it for a lower amount? Any opinions on this would be great, thanks

• Advertisement

In the current market I would pass no remarks of 'offers in excess of' and offer what I think will be the minimum required to pick up the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Sherry Property have offices in Dundalk Drogheda and Ardee and tend to be very busy. M. Lavelle is an old gent so if your property suits his profile go for it. Gunnes are also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Our Fella

my parents had trouble before with other agents mentioned above and then successfully got house sold thru sherry fitzgerald. so dont think they would have any problem swaying their way again. hope it goes well with whoever u choose. Our...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

It depends on the type of house. A large house is best marketed in both the north and south - a possibility of getting slightly more for it from a northern buyer.

As for estate agents - none are much good imo. They are good when they want the listing but after that...

My only advice would be list with just one agent but do not sign an exclusivity agreement and imo best to go with an agent with a nationwide network like sherry fitzgerald Carroll.

Advertisement