Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets roll back 16 years.

Options
  • 03-10-2007 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Link is taken from NW,fair play to yer man for digging out this footage.

Although the clip was ran on the Wedensday of that week,here in the east on the Thursday 7th(Blizzard in NE winds) and Sat 9th(biggest flakes of snow i've seen in calm conditions) 1991, we had two large dumpings of snow in Dublin.

NB the blocking high over scandanavia of 1050mb.:eek:
    How i miss these blocks:(

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_1079581_Feb1991_BBC_weather_Ian_McCaskill.htm?tc=1064143

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Wow, surely we are overdue another event similar to this, maybe not as extreme as this. What would it take from an easterly from siberia to head our direction again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Since Weathercheck took his first steps,the snow has stopped falling in Dublin.:D
    Well fuppin overdue it seems.When i look at that forecast i get goosebumps.
    16 friggin years overdue.:(

Here is a quote again from NW on the snow and temps in the UK.
    The cold air arived from Siberia on the 4th, with temperatures falling on the 5th and 6th, with the 7-9th as the coldest days. Barbourne (Hereford & Worcs.) recorded -15.6 on the 14th; Cawood (North Yorks.) had the lowest at -16.0 on the 14th. There was much powdery snow over England in this period, with some places having 48 hours of snowfall; snow depths of 30cm+ were widespread, particularly in the NE: 50 cms at Bradford and Longframlington. Even London had 20 cm of snow, the deepest cover since December 1962. The temperature in many places did not rise above freezing from the 5-10th. Some places of the southeast had the coldest February day of the century on the 7th, with maxima around -6C, but widespread very low maxima on the 7th: -5.7 at Bastreet (Cornwall), -5.2C at Whipsnade (Deds.), and at Brighton.The minimum at Guernsey airport on the 7th was -7.2, the equal low for February. On the 8th the maximum at Princetown (Dartmoor) was -6.0C. There were many injuries from falls on ice and sledging accidents, and a woman in Dartford received severe head injuries from falling icicles. This is the last notably cold snap I remember. It was the last time that most of Britain had snow cover. This was the infamous "wrong type of snow" for British Rail: dry and powdery. The thaw caused flooding in north Yorkshire. Milder air and a thaw arrived in all parts on the 15th, with Torquay recording 12.6C. An anticyclone enabled a thaw by day, with some sharp frosts at night, until the 19th, when it became unsettled. There were 133mm of rain in mid-Wales on the 22nd.
    I had 8 days with lying snow and 2 ice days(when temp maxed out below 0C) before the thaw with 2 snow events out of 3 for that winter.The third being a blizzard on the 4th of January of the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Nice one Snowbie. With those charts we would definitely see snow. Hopefully, this will be the year!! Yes, I remember it too, esp the snow on the Saturday night. Really large flakes resulting in powdery snow...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowbie wrote:
    Here is a quote again from NW on the snow and temps in the UK.

I had 8 days with lying snow and 2 ice days(when temp maxed out below 0C) before the thaw with 2 snow events out of 3 for that winter.The third being a blizzard on the 4th of January of the same year.

very nice.

it has been too long since we had a sustained period of easterly winds like that. maybe this will be the year we will see an intense area of high pressue take hold off Norway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Saw this yesterday on TWO from the same guy as on NW probably. Would love to experience something like this....winter 07/08......better not get my hopes up yet:p. Who knows though, with that strange summer weather and all the blocking around atm....

The next installment, link lifted from Two:o
    http://www.vidiLife.com/video_play_1081599_weather_forecast_Feb_1991_Francis_Wilson.htm?tc=1064143
    only 1.5 minutes long, the rest is blank

Thanks trogdor for that.Its rare you here a foot of snow in these isles.

Snowbie wrote:
    Thanks trogdor for that.Its rare you here a foot of snow in these isles.
    That's what makes a so special when it does eventually happen though, a few cm's here and there in the mean time wouldn't go amiss though :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Surrey Snow

• Advertisement

Thread merged

Yep SS,what the beeb or sky forecasters didnt know was that we got a sh*t lot of snow here too.I say where you are in Surrey was really badly or in some peoples cases(like me and Longfield:D) delightfully affected?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember that event very well, was in school at the time, I seem to remember it starting on a Tuesday afternoon and by Wednesday we had somewhere between 6 to 8 inchs of lying snow with deeper areas were the snow had drifted, I remember gettin a full week off school coz of that. Little did I realise back then that the quite frequent winter blasts almost yearly would give up after that event.

From winter 1992 to this very day I cant remember seeing more than 3 inchs on the ground at any one time were I live, with the majority of falls amounting to no more than half an inch to an inch of wet snow melting a few hours later.

Those forecast clips really bring back the memorys, I think I actually did watch those clips live at the time as I used to watch every winter weather report back then when I was a kid and so excited about hte prospect of getting dumpings of snow:)

Also the temperatures on those charts may seem bizzare now but they were quite common in the 80s particularly at night.

Advertisement