Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think i have been hacked?..

Options
  • 04-10-2007 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Ok,So i think this is the right forum for this if not can a mod move it and not close it?

Went to log onto the meteor website tonight to check some emails etc.
    anyway, where is asks for the number i usually just type '08' and the autocomplete will show my mobile nimber. Tonight an unknown number showed up beside mine. I am the only user on this computer who would use meteor website.
    I have a wireless router and lately its been crashing (connection lost),speed signifiganctly dropping and sometimes windows shows a pop up saying i'm connected to it and then 'unsecured' in brackets.
    (will bring this issue up in another forum i think for the router). Can anybody tell me what i should do to stop this problem? contact meteor maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Its highly unlikely you're being 'hacked', if I were to bet I would say its someone who went on the site without you knowing and typed in their number. Go into your history of your browser and you should see if someone besides yourself was on the meteor site. I know you said nobody but yourself uses the computer but thats what is happening I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I went thru my history. thanks for the suggestion though. I am the only one to use the laptop. And i cant understand if somebody did use my wireless router to get internet access, how it would show in my browser. I dont know the number
    *edit*
    I'm using mozilla With 'scriptblocker'. Lately it warned me of a cross site scripting. Now, i attempted a log in and got an error message

This is the error message i got:

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
    Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
    Error Occurred While Processing Request
    File not found: /mymeteor/do_login.cfm

Resources:

* Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater detail about the source of errors. In the Administrator, click Debugging & Logging > Debugging Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information option.
    * Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
    * Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7
    Remote Address 87.198.56.92
    Referrer http://www.meteor.ie/
    Date/Time 04-Oct-07 02:02 AM

Maybe a server error on meteor? anybody else meteor getting log in problems?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could have entered it accidentally some day.

You could have entered it accidentally some day.

i thought that myself. But, The number is a mobile number and is totally different than mine except the fact that both prefixes are 086.
    again, thanks for suggestion

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well the person who did it, had to do it from your computer.

• Advertisement

I checked through my history. I'm the only person who logs onto this user name on the laptop so no-one else could have done it but me. I'm very confused about it because as i said the number seems to only have appeared over night and I checked the number against my contacts on my phone and I dont recognise it. Maybe i should get onto cust care tomorrow and see whats the story?

I really don't see what they could do.

maybe there is a technical issue with their website? i had trouble the last week (since i started using their site) trying to log on. everytime. Mozilla warned me and it showed failed log in untill i tried again. Just tried with internet explorer there. Similar error message. Anybody else having problems logging on? or is it just me?

An issue with the site wouldn't cause autocomplete to pop up with a different number. Someone accessed the site off your computer and put that number in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

An issue with the site wouldn't cause autocomplete to pop up with a different number. Someone accessed the site off your computer and put that number in.

Exactly. The remember your number thing is on your web browser and has nothing to do with Meteor or anything but your laptop and what was typed from it into that field. Either that or someone knows your windows password and logged in as you without you knowing. Change your password if its crap or you suspect this has happened.

Someone has used your computer, did you let a friend use it to send a free text one day and forgot about it until now? Or you pasted someone elses number in there by accident one day or something like that.

This is the only way it could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ring the number and see who it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

congo_90 wrote:
    anybody else meteor getting log in problems?

Yeah it's down this morning:
    This site is currently under maintenance and is temporarily unavailable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It was saved into auto complete so it was someone using your computer not just your internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hagar wrote:
    Ring the number and see who it is?

I doubt you've been hacked.

Phone the number, say you're a delivery driver from UPS/TNT/local florist
    and you are having trouble finding their house for a delivery. Ask if they
    can confirm the address. If they are using your wi-fi chances are they are
    on same road as you. Call them and say "I've a delivery for you, can't find the
    road - where abouts on Road X are you?"

I think the op is confused about how auto complete works. Auto complete is part of the browser and saves to your hard drive. Someone using a different computer on your network will have no effect on your auto complete it will save to their hard drive and not be transmitted over the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

what OS is on the laptop?

If you what you are saying is true, then one of the following had to have happened:

1) You missed entered a number and fogot
    2) Your brother/sister/mother/housemate send a text when you weren't around
    3) Some body comprised your Access Point and gained remote access to your system to send a 10c text message. This poses even more questions. If they did this they would have had to have the local username and password to execute/install remote control apps - dameware, RDP would require user/pass to run. Even if your local password is blank, you local security policy should stop remote access to it.
    4) You are possessed.

If I had to guess, I would go with option 2 here. The local browser history and autofill isn't going to be effected by someone not running the browser locally.

Call the number!

Just one more to add

5) someone you allow access your laptop allowed one of their friends to use it while you were not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Actually, here's a thing.

I'm an Admin of another forum.

On the pc in my mother's house (XP) when I go to log in to that forum, in the Username field any username on that forum that begins with D (I use the same log in there too) pops in when I start typing, equally so, if I type another letter.

It's so strange.

And no, I don't go around trying to log in as other users. I could edit their posts if I wanted, or do pretty much whatever to their accounts.

Neither do my mother or father.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Turn off Autocomplete

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you have any remote desktop software installed? As said before, someone typed it in using your computer if it's in autocomplete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

There are different kinds of autocomplete, but the basic browser one stores previously submitted values tied to a field name (coded by the web page developer). If two web pages use the same field name, then the stored autocomplete values will show up on both pages. So something might show up on autocomplete that was never entered on that particular page.

Advertisement