Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it hard to get in the IDF

• 04-10-2007 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm planning on applying for a cadetship after college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

There is a lot of competition for those few places every year. What branch are you thinking of going for?

First: Fill out the application. Talk to anyone you may know in the DF for tips/info. Write a few lines for every point on the required features list they give for each candidate eg leadership.

Second: Get yourself fit. You should aim to be able to do double the amount of sit ups and push ups that they require. Also aim to do the run in 10 mins or less. This might sound silly but you never know what can happen on the day. Its far better to be able to easily do the test that it is to aim for just the bare minimum.

Third: Do practice interviews if you can. Remember when someone asks you a question that the whole board will be listening so look at them all. Don't just stare at whoever asked the question.

Good luck you'll need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

You have to be Jewish for a start.

Try this link for some more information.
    http://www.mahal2000.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

testicle wrote:

You're intentionally misunderstanding him, he means Irish Defence Forces when he says IDF not the Israeli DF, I've noticed you also take this attitude when someone uses a term like "Infantry Reserve"-you know damn well what they're talking about but you intntionally ask "what's the Infantry Reserve?". Testicle, in my opinion everyone is here to help eachother and have a good discussion.

Acting the smartass doesn't help-someone who posts as frequently as you should know better.

It is hard but your degree should be a help, they have seriously cut down on the amount of LC people they take. Fill out everything on the form, for example, they'll ask you on the app if you have visited any Army barracks-make it your business to have visited one instead of just leaving it blank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

You want to join the Israeli Defence Forces = IDF or the PDF, The Irish Permanent Defence Forces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

segaBOY wrote:
    You're intentionally misunderstanding him, he means Irish Defence Forces when he says IDF not the Israeli DF, I've noticed you also take this attitude when someone uses a term like "Infantry Reserve"-you know damn well what they're talking about but you intntionally ask "what's the Infantry Reserve?". Testicle, in my opinion everyone is here to help eachother and have a good discussion.

Acting the smartass doesn't help-someone who posts as frequently as you should know better.

Guess thats calling a 'spade a spade', nice post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

segaBOY wrote:

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

testicle wrote:

Wrong! All Israeli males are subject to conscription, regardless of religion. But if it was the Israeli DF he was interested in he wouldn't have to apply, would he?

OP, it could help your cause if your degree was relevant to your intended career in the PDF. When you narrow down your interest, try to learn all you can about that branch, and try to arrange a visit to a relevant barracks. For instance, if you're interested in the Air Corps, you could pursue a degree in Aeronautical engineering and pay a visit to Baldonnell. Best of luck with your chosen path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Mahal does not require you to be exactly Jewish by the way and the majority of women are subject to national service aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

segaBOY wrote:
    You're intentionally misunderstanding him, he means Irish Defence Forces when he says IDF not the Israeli DF,

IDF can mean the Defence Forces of any country beginning with the letter I of course, but everybody takes it to mean the Israeli Defence Forces. Nobody in the Irish DF refers to themselves as IDF.
    testicle wrote:

No you don't. Israeli Druze are subject to conscription.
    Slow coach wrote:
    Wrong! All Israeli males are subject to conscription, regardless of religion. .

Israeli Muslims aren't. Neither are Orthodox Jews in practical terms.

Back to the original post, you should try and contact the adjutant of your local barracks. They frequently give advice and might even do a practice interview with you.

• Advertisement

segaBOY wrote:

How dare you. How the hell am I supposed to mind read what people mean when they ask a question. I answered the question that was asked to the best of my ability. For all I knew he might have wanted to join the Israeli Defense Forces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well we do live in ireland now do we not israel.
    So tbh you should now what he ment.

Anyway the Israel DF is a shadow of what it was. Got its ass handed to it by hezbollah

Yes, and I gave him the link for entering under the Mahal2000 program which is for non-Israelis. (note my avatar also)

As for cadetships in the Irish Defence Forces, they are not as hard to get as they used to be, but they are still quite difficult to obtain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

segaBOY wrote:

Well said Sir.

langer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

testicle wrote:
    langer

Real smooth:rolleyes: ......You walked right into that one.:eek: :D

Didn't read the entire tread then ****brick?

testicle wrote:
    langer
    testicle wrote:
    Didn't read the entire tread then ****brick?

Real mature testicle, shows who's the bigger man.
    testicle wrote:
    How dare you. How the hell am I supposed to mind read what people mean when they ask a question. I answered the question that was asked to the best of my ability. For all I knew he might have wanted to join the Israeli Defense Forces.

I suppose you didn't know what the poster meant by the infantry reserve either a few threads ago? I bet you're one of those guys who pisses everyone off whenever they refer to the RDF as the FCÁ...it no longer exists right we get it...

Anyway, lets keep to the topic like a good lad-calling Steyr abusive names isn't going top help the poster get a cadetship.

Aindriu1990 i'd say ignore anything testicle tells you about a cadetship-he seems to give bad advice-for example he claims that cadets are "wrapped in cotton wool nowadays"-that's not true, the training is tough and a lot of people drop out before commissioning.

What I can remember a cadet telling me was to pay attention to the application form, write it and rewrite it-that's the first impression they are going to get of you and the factor that'll decide if you'll get an interview.

Apparently there is someone on the interview board who just looks at your body language for the whole thing-so lying is not a great idea!!

They'll also take into account what degree you're doing and what your results were like so keep that in mind. I'd say apart from that just see what other board members say-they prob know more than me.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

testicle wrote:

Yes, he came to an Irish military discussion forum enquiring about joining the Israeli Defence Forces :rolleyes:

Admit it, SegaBOY handed your testicles to you. You tried to be a smart arse and it blew up in your face.

Nice one SegaBOY :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

segaBOY wrote:
    Apparently there is someone on the interview board who just looks at your body language for the whole thing-so lying is not a great idea!!

That is correct on the final interview there is someone there a psychologist if i remember correctly who does that sort of thing. They will have your aptitude test in front of them and will compare you answers to it.

But I wouldn't worry about that yet. The first interview is more like a job interview. They ask you about your background etc and go through your application. Ask you questions based on what you have put down so you had better know every word of it.

Advertisement