Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 are now blocking certain websites

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

osmethod wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I'm open to correction but I don't necessarily believe that 3 are blocking specific sites. I believe the problem is due fundamentally to congestion on their network and consequently, under configuration.

They have a limited number of Public IP Addresses allocated to them which they must be NATing and dynamically allocating internally. This specific rule looks like a block firewall / proxy rule. However, what I have noticed is that if I stop the query for the website and then refresh it - it seems to come up straight away. Also, even when this rule does appear a refresh most of the time gets me through to the site.

i've also noticed severe delays in their DNS servers... If i ping a site and get its ip address and use it instead of the DNS name - almost instant reply.

I wouldn't be too hardd on their tech guys because realistically it's out of their hands. 3 themselves need to purchase more address space, servers, routers etc and build/configure the back end correctly.

osmethod

its due to a lack of servers mainly, they didnt expect to sell so much so fast, and system is completly saturated! they are playing catch up... can they create servers faster then sell... and they started off a huge gap behind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they knew the services would be swamped with new customers all using their service to its max so they coulda and shoulda been much better prepared for the "gold"rush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

The sites I mentioned never work. It says the web page is unavailable and it is definitely blocked.

I haven't come accros the access denied warnings, they could be a different phenomenon altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The sites I mentioned never work. It says the web page is unavailable and it is definitely blocked.

I haven't come accros the access denied warnings, they could be a different phenomenon altogether.

You can get access to any site you want on Opera Mini if you are using an N73.

My issue is that in order to download something off tinytube, it switches from Opera Mini to the Nokia Browser which then blocks tinytube.

I was having great craic in the past downloading .3gps and bluetoothing them over to my friends.

muboop1 wrote:
    o2 have gotten brilliant customer care!! used to be rubbish, so good now!
    3... what can i say... iv rang them about 200 times... only once i got a person who's name i could pronounce... actually made my day!!!

Pronunciation of a customer service agent's name or even the call centre being in India is not relevant.

The fact is they are not trained.

You could have a call centre in Sandyford and not train the staff properly and you'd get the same result as 3 have at present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

My issue is that in order to download something off tinytube, it switches from Opera Mini to the Nokia Browser which then blocks tinytube.

I was having great craic in the past downloading .3gps and bluetoothing them over to my friends.

Sites for me are blocked with Opera Mini also. Dont see how the browser should make a difference. unless yours got a build in proxy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sites for me are blocked with Opera Mini also. Dont see how the browser should make a difference. unless yours got a build in proxy :)

That is the whole point - Opera Mini is using a proxy over port 8080, that's why it can gain you access to other pages than those blocked by the main Nokia/Netfront etc browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

That would explain why i could use the built im browser last week while opera kept failing to connect but i did a quick google and it seemed to indicate that opera uses port 80. Are you sure it uses 8080? Or is it both?

That would explain why i could use the built im browser last week while opera kept failing to connect but i did a quick google and it seemed to indicate that opera uses port 80. Are you sure it uses 8080? Or is it both?

If you look in the Help menu in Opera Mini, you can see the proxy path used, in the bottom of the page, after the kb count.

I went in there and it says its using port 80. http;//beta.opera-mini.net:80/ to be precise

• Advertisement

I went in there and it says its using port 80. http;//beta.opera-mini.net:80/ to be precise

My mistake.. Mine also says port 80 ... But I am sure I have seen it said 8080 before. Strange.. Maybe it rerouted now after I did a network setting update since 3 updated their data service.

I have The full Opera 8.65 on my phone. I dont think it has proxy support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Pop3 now working on my 3pay Z610i since around 3pm- ish :))))))) happy days

tallus wrote:
    Pop3 now working on my 3pay Z610i since around 3pm- ish :))))))) happy days

I still have only a half assed http service.

still no mms on my moto v3x but not really bothered gonna use credit in calls and port that number to vodafone

Yeah, that's exactly what happens to me. A good few video sites are blocked and since that switch is made for downloads it makes them obsolete.

I therefore go nowhere near 100MB now.

I cannot download Opera mini, keeps saying Invalid JAR, no matter what version I try to downoad. I have the full Opera 8.65 on my phone tho.

Have you tried to download it through www.getjar.com ? I was having troubles but downloaded there with no problem.

I uploaded the jar's to my own shell and downloaded via the phone and it worked.

haha another disaster from three! no access to their browser services! can get as far as services screen then no further! cant check balance or change settings etc! THEY ARE STILL ABUSING THEIR PHONE CUSTOMERS!

• Advertisement

and i can't even check that because my 3 sim card went missing and it takes two fecking days to activate a replacement sim. the longest i've ever seen it take with a different network is half an hour. i think they send the sim card number by smoke signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

and i can't even check that because my 3 sim card went missing and it takes two fecking days to activate a replacement sim. the longest i've ever seen it take with a different network is half an hour. i think they send the sim card number by smoke signal
    They send out the card with a soldering iron ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

foggy_lad wrote:
    haha another disaster from three! no access to their browser services! can get as far as services screen then no further! cant check balance or change settings etc! THEY ARE STILL ABUSING THEIR PHONE CUSTOMERS!
    In fairness, dialing 444 will tell you how much credit you have left. I'm not disagreeing with you about 3 or their services, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

well, boards is back up again from 3 :rolleyes:

i am asking for a refund as they are about as relaible as a robin reliant on pi$$

They've now gotten rid of the ITN news videos. I enjoyed them. They're slowly getting rid of their free services and making more costly ones.
    I think that Dunphy thing that used to be free is now fairly costly.

(I didn't want to start another thread)

EDIT: Woah, new multi-quote facility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i dont give a flying fook what they have i am leaving them anyways, they are just a waste of time. all that crap they have and it doesnt work half the time anyway. like their whole network.

98% of people cannot be wrong

FACT

are certain websites still blocked from users?

Yeah, I can't get on any site with downloadable videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Seems not alone to be package dependent but also person and also location dependent - there is little consistency between what people can access it seems.

I have X-Series Gold and can access video download sites like tinytube.net. Streaming seems to work fine from them. However BBC radio streams die after about a minute and 50 seconds.

Have yet to bring this to their attention formally but as they seem to be monitoring the board here I assume they're aware of the issue by now. Bulding up strength to start dealing with CS again.

• Advertisement

cant access any sites which have any "free downloads" "adult material" or any other downloadable content even though am age verified as confirmed by three customer care

Advertisement