Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes damaged at racks

Options
  • 04-10-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with the number of bikes being damaged at bike parking racks in and around Dublin city centre, I notice most of the damage are bent and buckled wheels, it seems to be down to vandalism, has anyone else noticed this? It's getting to the stage where I'm a bit wary about parking my bike there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I've given up leaving my bike in racks - it's just too risky now. We need some imaginative politician to pass a new law to enforce all city centre carparks to provide free bike parking...

The only rack/hoops I use are on the island at College Green where the taxi rank is located. it's busy there and always too active for vandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

i never leave my bike out on the road for more than 10 mins. But i have the luxury of a bike rack in the car park in work that i can access 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

It's a bit like sharks - they'll have a nibble and see what happens. If a bike gets locked to a rack for weeks it'll get more and more damaged until it's obviously abandoned then it's pull out all the stops time until it's just a bent and broken mess. I've had stuff stolen but never vandalised if it's only there for a day or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

milod wrote:
    We need some imaginative politician to pass a new law to enforce all city centre carparks to provide free bike parking...

Truth be told I'd pay a small amount for this service. It certainly beats leaving your pride and joy out on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

milod wrote:
    We need some imaginative politician to pass a new law to enforce all city centre carparks to provide free bike parking...
    I just cycle in all of them and lock it to a drain pipe near a camera. I always make sure it is not obstructing anything- exits/cars etc. Never have trouble.

If you ever see a bike that has fallen or been knocked or skewed on a lampost- always pick it up. Half these bastards are out pissed and a bike at 45degrees is more likely get its wheel stomped than an upright one. A bike at an angle looks half wrecked or abandoned and once some damage is done people will totally wreck it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Two council car parks have bicycle schemes, I think Dawson Street and Drury Street. I think one is an annual pass and the other is something like €1 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

its terrible the way people just destroy things for the 'craic'. Was cycling by merrion square on night and saw a fella hopping on someones back wheel. I pulled up and after putting some distance between him and the bike gently suggested that he might consider not buckling the bikes wheels. He stared at me blankly and then after about ten seconds came up with 'its my bike':D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

probably sounds obvious, but think the idea is when locking your bike is to keep it as upright as posible and as tight as possible to the structure you are locking it to, so that if a theif cannot brake your lock, he cant place the bike at an angle to buckle your wheels out of spite

Advertisement