Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have only recently started watching...

Options
  • 04-10-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

It's not a bad game really. Rules seem easy enough to follow. Who would be a good team to follow? Who are the big teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There was a long thread on this a few weeks ago. Basically concensus view was watch a few teams, see whose style of play you like best and follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

jdivision wrote:
    There was a long thread on this a few weeks ago. Basically concensus view was watch a few teams, see whose style of play you like best and follow them.

yeah thats probaly the best way....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sounds fair enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I like to watch college teams rather than the pros. There seems to be more action, uncertainty, and fun surprises with college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

You can also do the tried and trsuted way of supporting the most successful teams.
    Just support the Patriots, can't go too far wrong with them currently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ive personally always liked the 49ers since i was a kid, but i wouldnt reccommend them as a team to follow! not anymore anyway, ever since i started watching family guy i have been a patriots fan, this has been working out well so far!! great offensive line, very good quarterback, and of course, randy moss! lol

the colts are a good team too, just watch for a few weeks, watch as many teams as you can and youll soon find yourself drawn to a team

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I started watching NFL as far back as 95 when Blitz used to be on Channel 4. The Jets were horrendous back then so I was naturally drawn to the underdogs (that's the way I am). As I got a little older I became aware of their roots within the Irish American population of New York; and really took to players who formed the backbone in the late 90's like Vinny Testraverde and Wayne Chrebet - not the most gifted players technically or physically: but tough cookies who maximised what they had.

The point is that you need to watch until you find a player or a team that grabs you. I recommend that you check out www.nfl.com every Monday or Tuesday. They will carry video highlights of every game played on a Sunday - aswell as post game interviews and short videos that highlight specific game trends or themes. Each video is about three minutes long, so you should get a sense of what went on without taxing the attention span too much. A lot of NFL players are surprisingly articulate and answer the tough questions after games - so you may actually take to some of the personallities more than others.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm also a child of the Blitz era of the mid 90s. Gary Imlach brightened up many a Saturday morning. Picked the Chiefs randomly. No idea why but I have a habit of doing that. Followed them ever since and it's cool to be a fan of a team no one else really is.

Started watching in the mid 80s when it was on RTE, Miles Dungan presenting. Every Thursday night would wait for the Packers result. Godmother from Wisconicn and lived near Green Bay so they were foisted on me, and Christ they were poor. But used to get all the annuals and teeshirts sent over from the States, and she even managed to get a personalised autograph for me from Greg Koch which I still have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Koch

Mike Ditka's Bears were the wonder team then, though soon replaced by the 49ers. Kinds lost touch then for a few years, though always kept an eye out for their results and particularly when Holmgren came in, Magic Don Majkowski was QB, the subsequent improvement, the Favre era, and the Superbowl win. And even though they haven't really set the world on fire since 1996, its still a whole lot better than that trough in the 80s.

Advertisement