Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork for the weekend

Options
  • 04-10-2007 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Heading to Cork City for the weekend for my Birthday. Staying in Jurys.
    Can anyone recommend some nice resturants for some good tasty food and some Bars that play good music?

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

It'd be handy if you told us what kind of music and food you're into :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Tazzle wrote:
    It'd be handy if you told us what kind of music and food you're into :)

..or even handier to just check out the many threads here about such pubs and eateries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Julie K Cherub

dollydrops wrote:
    Heading to Cork City for the weekend for my Birthday. Staying in Jurys.
    Can anyone recommend some nice resturants for some good tasty food and some Bars that play good music?

Thanks
    Well you could go to The Pearl river for a chinese meal in the city center, Its a lovely place or you could go to Currans resaturant and that is off North Main Street in the City center.. They do all types of food.. Where bars are concerned it would really depend on what type of a night your looking to have. If its a crazy night or a chilled out kinda night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Currans resaturant
    I'm always surprised to see people recommend Currans - seems to be a very average place to me.

IMO
    Rossini is good for an Italian but the service is woeful
    Il Padrino aint bad
    Mexicanos is good
    Luigi Malones is overpriced but good for a cocktail and a night out

If you have to choose one go to Greenes or Isaacs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Ambassador Chinese restaurant is quality, Casanovas on North Main Street as well.

not sure how old the OP is but the Old Oak might have live music on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Try Soho www.soho.ie
    Great food and a trendy lively bar downstairs afterwards. You will need to book though. Very popular at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Fenns Quay Restaurant is not that far from Jurys and does lovely food. Walk towards town from Jurys and turn left at the Courthouse and then left again and its just there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Tweaky wrote:
    Try Soho www.soho.ie
    Great food and a trendy lively bar downstairs afterwards. You will need to book though. Very popular at the moment

A poser dump.

Go to Starvast on Princes Street for asian food, but be sure to ask for the chinese menu and not the European chinese menu, the service is amazing and the food is even better. There are plenty for great bars in Cork, just avoid the following: Soho, Reardons, Old Oak, Classic, The Bailey, The Woodford, or any other bar made of chrome and recessed lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Soho is very dressy, but a handy spot all the same. like someone above, I can never understand people recommending Currans - its a glorified and even more overpriced McDonalds.

Best bet imo pubwise, is just go to Oliver Plunket Sreet and work your way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I'm always a fan of Amicus myself - serves all sorts of food (pasta, curry, steak etc) and is always tasty. It can be a bit noisy at the weekend though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Since its your birthday, if you want something really special you could try "The Ivory Tower". Fantastic food, always strange exotic things on the menu. 5 courses, takes up a good chunk of the night very nicely. Its just on the corner of Princes St and Oliver Plunkett st. Be warned its expensive though! From 60 to 75euro each! Was only there once for the gfs 21st. Here's a review i just googled anyway http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/ivory_tower.4190.html

hmm..just realised i might be late with this..oh well..hope yee went someplace nice anyway!

Advertisement